What's new

Why Aren't All Razors Dual Combs?

I wish every DE razor was a dual comb. It's not like you can use both sides in the same stroke, after all.

I'm an intermittent shaver. Occasionally, I shave every day. Other times, I might go 4-5 days without shaving.

My best razor that I almost always use is a Timeless ti .68 sb/oc dual comb baseplate. No matter how long it's been since my last shave, I can always use that razor. 95% of the time I use the oc side. The only time I need the sb side is if I need to shave within 24 hours of my last shave.

This one razor can serve every shaving scenario I might face because it's a dual comb. Plus, it would be really nice to be able to try both the closed comb and open comb version of a razor with a single head. Imho.

I wish every DE razor was a dual comb. It's not like you can use both sides in the same stroke, after all.

I'm an intermittent shaver. Occasionally, I shave every day. Other times, I might go 4-5 days without shaving.

My best razor that I almost always use is a Timeless ti .68 sb/oc dual comb baseplate. No matter how long it's been since my last shave, I can always use that razor. 95% of the time I use the oc side. The only time I need the sb side is if I need to shave within 24 hours of my last shave.

This one razor can serve every shaving scenario I might face because it's a dual comb. Plus, it would be really nice to be able to try both the closed comb and open comb version of a razor with a single head. Imho.
I hate dual combs.

I think dual combs have their place, but I do not think they are the be all end all either. Since I am shaving everyday I do not have super long whiskers that would benefit to use an OC on. Also, if I am shaving one side of my face WTG and then the other side with the other side of the razor without rinsing I do not want a different feel of the razor. If I was using a dual comb razor and I wanted the OC for the WTG on my face I need to rinse it more often, since I could only use one side of it. Same deal with the last pass. I might only want to use the SB side. More frequent rinsing. It takes a bit more time. If you prefer a dual comb razor great. If you prefer a standard razor great. There is no right or wrong answer here. As always YMMV.

...lots of people don't want one.

I don't.

I like randomly using both edges of the blade during every shave rather than having to think about "OK, first pass, OC", "second pass, SB"...

...it's not a big deal but it is easier for me to just grab my choice of razor (OC or SB) and use both sides randomly while shaving, and wearing both edges equally for the life of the blade. The DC might work best for the "one and done" crowd.

@Wgg2017

I had a Ti95DC Timeless a few years back and wondered the same thing. Being an every other day shaver it worked great using the OC side for the 1st WTG pass and the SB for the remaing parts of the shave, I really enjoyed it. I sold it and moved on to a Ti Blackbird and also purchased an OC plate when it became available yet only used it a couple times as it was much more aggressive than the Timeless was so it has since been moved on to someone that is putting it to use. Though I have thought about re-visiting the the TiBBOC if they ever introduce a Ti Lite OC plate. A short while back I did order a WR2 1.25DC and just like the TiBB the OC side way too aggressive, but so was the SB so I moved the entire razor on to someone that would use it. I have taken on the role of minimalist in the last couple years of traditional wet shaving, hence my outlook has changed also and no longer want every razor in DC but if I ever added a 2nd razor to my cabinet, in a heartbeat it would be a Ti95DC Timeless!!

Well I think a Duel Comb Head is available from a few VENDOR, and they charge extra for the Duel, because it cost more to make. Would be interesting to know how many Duel, v/s Normal Combes Timeless sells?

My guess would be 5-8%. Or LESS.

I was considering the dual/hybrid Fatip L'ibrido, but I like the open comb enough that I prefer having two of that. I don't know if I'd like the safety bar at all, so I guess it's still a way of hedging my bets. maybe one day.

Because SB is more popular and suitable for daily shaving.

This is the simple truth to why all razors are not dual combs - lots of people don't want one.

True, but those that don't want to use one side or the other of the dual comb don't have to. They've still got their preference on one side.

I love symmetry, so no.
I hate changing plates, so yes.

Peace x3 🙏

Dual comb severely disturbs my feng shui. Or is it my ocd? Either way, the idea of dual comb is to me as satisfying as a spork.

I can understand this reason for not wanting a dual comb. A dc certainly isn't visually semetric for those who like that.

Easy, if they were popular & in high demand...they would tap into .. my assumption is they are not popular.
No matter what I like or want.
For me, I am fine have either SB or OC.
I do have a few hybrids also.

It is all about the demand, cost versus sales...

BFX

I don't.

I like randomly using both edges of the blade during every shave rather than having to think about "OK, first pass, OC", "second pass, SB"...

...it's not a big deal but it is easier for me to just grab my choice of razor (OC or SB) and use both sides randomly while shaving, and wearing both edges equally for the life of the blade. The DC might work best for the "one and done" crowd.

What's funny is that I've used the dual comb for so long that now it feels weird using a single comb and shaving with both sides. 🙃

I rotate the blade before each shave and find that results in more even blade wear, for me at least. I have some much heavier patches of whiskers and much less dense spots. I always felt like I wasn't getting even blade wear by just randomly using both sides. That's probably unique to my face though.

Top Bottom