What's new

Watch Ya Wearing

My usual daily watch for the better part of the last ten years looks like it's about to give up the ghost.

Remembered that I had this scrappy little guy in retirement in an old dopp kit of mine.

I had to poke an extra hole in the strap for it to fit my 7.5" wrist. 🤣

20240323_105419.jpg

I ordered this Alpinist from a seller on Chrono24 located in Japan and thus far they have been very communicative and sent these photos…View attachment 1817220View attachment 1817221
View attachment 1817225
View attachment 1817222View attachment 1817223
View attachment 1817224

I had - and sold - the original green Alpinist, the SARB017. It's the only watch I've sold that I regret. Every now and then I think about re-buying it. I do wish it was thinner, though.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
I had - and sold - the original green Alpinist, the SARB017. It's the only watch I've sold that I regret. Every now and then I think about re-buying it. I do wish it was thinner, though.

I thought about buying a used SARB but they are commanding double, if not 3 times, their original price.

And as for thickness, the clear caseback on this model (SPB121J/SBDC091) adds a few mm to the thickness, which comes in at 13.2 mm. The original SARB 017 is 12mm.

Please say a prayer for Mr. Urchin. This Seiko "Sea Urchin" has been my almost daily watch for the better part of the last ten years. After several hard drops over that time, it's running almost 30 minutes(!) a day fast. I demagnetized it, but no help. I suspect the mainspring is shot, which for a watch of this value is terminal.

I'm going to take it to a watchmaker for an estimate and hopefully it just needs a regulation/adjustment. Wish him luck.

20240324_081821.jpg

Please say a prayer for Mr. Urchin. This Seiko "Sea Urchin" has been my almost daily watch for the better part of the last ten years. After several hard drops over that time, it's running almost 30 minutes(!) a day fast. I demagnetized it, but no help. I suspect the mainspring is shot, which for a watch of this value is terminal.

I'm going to take it to a watchmaker for an estimate and hopefully it just needs a regulation/adjustment. Wish him luck.

View attachment 1817531
It should be relatively cheap to just replace the movement inside.

It should be relatively cheap to just replace the movement inside.
Thank you. You're probably right. But the watch has other issues as well. After several case openings for regulation, I managed to twist the case gasket. I've been wearing it without a case gasket for years. I also managed to destroy the bezel ring and bezel gasket while removing that as well, and so the bezel is stuck in place. Oh yeah, and the bracelet clasp snapped as well.

Clearly I overestimated my watch repair skills. Anyway, my local watch maker gives free estimates. The secondhand value is about $170, so there's not a lot of margin for repairs there.

Top Bottom