What's new

In search of an almond sized spoon

Just ordered these espresso spoons:

Four to an order. If they look like they'll work, I'll send you one.
That looks like it might work. The bowl width is .47” and looks to be about 1” long. The misses is currently looking for the baby spoon again. She is convinced it’s what I want. I think it’s too big. I’m only making lather for one shave.

B627D6F3-93C0-44C6-9777-67B7583EE1CD.jpeg

I am just trying to help here. Google IS your friend. A “demitasse spoon” is otherwise called an “espresso spoon.” I did not realize I needed to spell it out for you...sorry if I inconvenienced you in any way.
Sorry, I forgot to use the sarcasm font. No inconvenience and I hope that I have not offended you. Sometimes my sense of humor is misunderstood.

After all the suggestions, I think the stainless steel measuring spoons are the way to go. I don’t think I’ll be using them on The Fat, they only need to stand up to TOBBS.

Okay OCDers .. you got me curious .. so

From here:

the average volume of an almond is 2.61 cm^3 (ml)

A US teaspoon is 4.93 ml which means a half-teaspoon is 2.46 ml [yay google]. The practical upshot is go to the kitchen and steal a half-teaspoon and you are good to go .. and if you are feeling really OCD and being 6% off of the officially googled Almond volume bothers you don't flatten your snurdle ;)

From here:

A US teaspoon is 4.93 ml which means a half-teaspoon is 2.46 ml [yay google]. The practical upshot is go to the kitchen and steal a half-teaspoon and you are good to go .. and if you are feeling really OCD and being 6% off of the officially googled Almond volume bothers you don't flatten your snurdle ;)
Momma already saw me eyeing her measuring spoons and told me to get my own. So I’m ordering a set from Amazon. Problem solved.

i just scoop it out with one 👉 finger either put it on my face in a couple spots or apply it to the brush then go to the face...or just scoop with finger and smear a little on bowl..you will find out a rough amount you need very quickly tbh

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks

From here:

I think you are using the sizing for the whole nut...the kernel is 0.7 cubic centimeters, which is equivalent to 0.0237 fl.oz. which should be right "almond" size amount be...

now the real question is: are we looking for the size of the whole nut (incl shell) or just the kernel inside??
But, I believe we are way overthinking this....just use any small tool that might work, you may get only 0.6 cm3, or 0.8 cm3, but I doubt this has a lot of bad influence on your shave.

The best for creams, though, is a snurdle as it was mentioned already.

I use sometimes a simple plastic ice cream spoon, like in the attached picture (pink spoon) or one of the mini kitchen spatulas I stole from our kitchen...the cup btw is a 3 oz Solo

IMG_0806.jpg

IMG_0807.jpg

I think you are using the sizing for the whole nut...the kernel is 0.7 cubic centimeters, which is equivalent to 0.0237 fl.oz. which should be right "almond" size amount be...

now the real question is: are we looking for the size of the whole nut (incl shell) or just the kernel inside??
But, I believe we are way overthinking this....just use any small tool that might work, you may get only 0.6 cm3, or 0.8 cm3, but I doubt this has a lot of bad influence on your shave.

The best for creams, though, is a snurdle as it was mentioned already.

I use sometimes a simple plastic ice cream spoon, like in the attached picture (pink spoon) or one of the mini kitchen spatulas I stole from our kitchen...the cup btw is a 3 oz Solo

View attachment 1191119
View attachment 1191120
I appreciate the advice Rudy. My problem is my OCD keeps kicking in and wants a more exact measurement. When I see snurdle, I keep wondering how big is a snurdle? As far as almond sized, my understanding is it’s the kernel. At this point I’m thinking a 1/4 teaspoon with a rounded load.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I appreciate the advice Rudy. My problem is my OCD keeps kicking in and wants a more exact measurement. When I see snurdle, I keep wondering how big is a snurdle? As far as almond sized, my understanding is it’s the kernel. At this point I’m thinking a 1/4 teaspoon with a rounded load.
Oh, if this is so important to you, I think the best is to weigh the amount of soap/croap or cream you are using.
There are small balances that can be used for weighing small amounts. The one I use for reloading, like the one here:

Or if you like a spoon, I would go for a measuring spoon for 1/8 of a teaspoon, which is equivalent to 0.625 mm, pretty much the size of the almond kernel.

Top Bottom