What's new

Slingshots

Some more ammo. Hornady lead round balls.

proxy.php

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Yes, they will. Lead packs a punch.

I use buckshot, smaller and cheaper than .451s.

ebay ball bearings and dollar store marbles, too.

AA

Legion

Staff member
I used 00 buckshot, and it worked ok for plinking. I was always a little bit worried about handling the lead with my bare hands for long periods of time. Maybe needlessly, but I'm not sure.

I used 00 buckshot, and it worked ok for plinking. I was always a little bit worried about handling the lead with my bare hands for long periods of time. Maybe needlessly, but I'm not sure.
If you don't wash your hands thoroughly, then eat with your hands, it can become a problem. I work around lead paint all day(Structural Ironworker currently on a bridge). We use D-Lead wipes to remove the lead from our hands.

I had a Wrist Rocket growing up....you couldnt put it in your pockey but man the forearm brass sure made it easy to pull back....the thing was deadly.....wonder what, if anything, is similar today.

I had a Wrist Rocket growing up....you couldnt put it in your pockey but man the forearm brass sure made it easy to pull back....the thing was deadly.....wonder what, if anything, is similar today.

Modern slingshots use fairly low forks, so the leverage on the wrist is decreased somewhat compared to the old wrist rockets. Then a piece of cord can be tied into a lanyard through a hole in the bottom of the slinghot's handle. The shooter would put the lanyard around their wrist and twist it up until it's tight to support the fork when shooting. That works much like the old wrist supports and it also skirts the laws that fairly commonly make wrist braced slingshots illegal. It's just a lanyard, and it all fits nicely in a pocket, if necessary. Those heavy tubes were pretty slow too compared with a modern set of flatbands or some smaller diameter tubes. So overall, I'd say slingshots have gotten a bit better nowadays.

Modern slingshots use fairly low forks, so the leverage on the wrist is decreased somewhat compared to the old wrist rockets. Then a piece of cord can be tied into a lanyard through a hole in the bottom of the slinghot's handle. The shooter would put the lanyard around their wrist and twist it up until it's tight to support the fork when shooting. That works much like the old wrist supports and it also skirts the laws that fairly commonly make wrist braced slingshots illegal. It's just a lanyard, and it all fits nicely in a pocket, if necessary. Those heavy tubes were pretty slow too compared with a modern set of flatbands or some smaller diameter tubes. So overall, I'd say slingshots have gotten a bit better nowadays.
Thanks for the info....i have been away for to lo g.

brucered

System Generated
Lots of good latex and rubber on the market now. GZK, SimpleShot, Theraband and many tubes from Dankung. As for ammo, I mainly shoot 3/8" steel with my full sized frames and 1/4" steel with my smaller ones.

As for forks, I'm still making my own from naturals, mostly Oak and Maple from our backyard trees. Here are a few recent ones.

These 2 are in the last pic as well, currently soaking in Tung Oil.
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

And three in the works that will be finished this weekend.
proxy.php

love your hobby. bought one myself after looking at your beauties. don't use it near enough. rubber deteriorated might go pick one up today. going into the bigger city.

When I were a lad, the slingshot of choice was made from a wire coat hanger, much like this one:
proxy.php

The loops on the fork should make at least one twist around the arm to prevent them from opening.
All you needed to make it was a pair of lineman's pliers or needlenose pliers with a cutter.
The rubber band was typically a bunch of wide rubber bands daisy-chained together, for a long pull that did not stress the fork too much.
"Paper ammo"? Hah.
We cut the rest of the coat hanger into 2" lengths and bent them into a "U", therefore no need for a pouch. Fence staples are nice too.
Even so, nobody I know lost an eye.

The perfect design for office warfare.

Legion

Staff member
When I were a lad, the slingshot of choice was made from a wire coat hanger, much like this one:
proxy.php

The loops on the fork should make at least one twist around the arm to prevent them from opening.
All you needed to make it was a pair of lineman's pliers or needlenose pliers with a cutter.
The rubber band was typically a bunch of wide rubber bands daisy-chained together, for a long pull that did not stress the fork too much.
"Paper ammo"? Hah.
We cut the rest of the coat hanger into 2" lengths and bent them into a "U", therefore no need for a pouch. Fence staples are nice too.
Even so, nobody I know lost an eye.

The perfect design for office warfare.
Yeah. We used those too, and you could make them really small and pocket sized. +1 on the fence staples.

Top Bottom