What's new

7 O'clock for 111 years

Ok, here's a few.

$IMG_20160412_212616453[1].jpg

The French Razor was Made in Germany for the French market.

$IMG_20160412_212639376[1].jpg$IMG_20160412_212744498[1].jpg

Last edited:
$IMG_20160412_213332398[1].jpg

I think the yellow interior case is my favorite of my 7's.

$IMG_20160412_213435615[1].jpg

This last one looked like an "I" pin on a certain auction site, but alas, I think this was an aftermarket effort.

Last edited:
[MENTION=84147]matt71[/MENTION]:Very nice collection!!! Looks like the 7o'clocks came with many different alignment pins.The yellow case is a beauty and I really like the bright green case in the first pic. Have you shave with the wedge blade style?

Glenn

Hi Glenn, thanks for the kind words, it seems we have very similar tastes.

I have not shaved with the wedges, but there is one I have that is unopened. Not sure I'm that brave... Meaning confident enough I could manage a sharp enough blade with that setup...

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I just bought a collection of razors from England. There were 5 razors that I was interested in (orange circles). Among the others are 3 bakelite 7 o'Clocks (green circles). I tried to find some information in the wiki, but couldn't find the 7 o'Clocks. Is there a single source for years, etc. How do they shave?

$s-l1600 all - Selections.jpgView attachment 687628$s-l1600 d.jpg

Whoa, that is a nice haul!!

I've searched far and wide for info, to no avail other than generic takeover info (a la Probak).

The flat bottoms (as with their Gillette counterpart) provide a superior shave.

I have not tried the bakelite version though.

I have a 7 O'clock flat bottom and really like it. It shaves very smooth and as close or closer that anything I have including the Muhle R41 (2011 & 2013) and ATT H2. I love shaving with this piece of history!

Received a bias pin 7 O'clock razor today in bakelite case . The razor is in really good shape and it got me thinking about how well this razor was preserved .Searched through my razors and came up with six 7 O'clock razors spanning 109 years . 7 O'clock has had a good run and produced some interesting razors .Not sure of when they became associated with Gillette but the brand has endured and Gillette is still making DEs under the 7 O'clock brand .

View attachment 648369

-==snip==-

Top Center : my sentimental favorite ,a silver plated single edge which has a built in strop in the lid ,my research put it at around 1907, beautiful presentation and came with a blade in good shape but haven't stropped it ,looks like it would take a de-spined Gem blade .Something to look forward to!

-==snip==-

Glenn

I have one of the british-made SE 7 O'Clock razors - it was an early razor by none other than inventor Henry Jacques Gaisman, president of Auto Strop. The 7 O'Clock TM probably went over to Gillette during the period that Gillette infringed Gaisman's Probak blade patents and were forced to "buy out" Auto Strop (it was actually Auto Strop's takeover of Gillette). I wish I could lay hands on one of the blades for this razor to compare with an original Valet blade. The NOS Valet blades fit the blade receiver but extend beyond the stops. I can engineer a de-spined Gem blade to fit properly, the shave is quite mild. Makes me think that the original 7 O'clock blade was slightly smaller or else the cutouts were placed closer to the center of the side edges.

I have one of the british-made SE 7 O'Clock razors - it was an early razor by none other than inventor Henry Jacques Gaisman, president of Auto Strop. The 7 O'Clock TM probably went over to Gillette during the period that Gillette infringed Gaisman's Probak blade patents and were forced to "buy out" Auto Strop (it was actually Auto Strop's takeover of Gillette). I wish I could lay hands on one of the blades for this razor to compare with an original Valet blade. The NOS Valet blades fit the blade receiver but extend beyond the stops. I can engineer a de-spined Gem blade to fit properly, the shave is quite mild. Makes me think that the original 7 O'clock blade was slightly smaller or else the cutouts were placed closer to the center of the side edges.

Thanks for the info on the 7s history , I do have one of the original blades for the SE 7 O'clock and here are a few pics you may find useful in you quest to adapt a blade

7.JPG
7o.JPG
700.JPG

Glenn

Could a feather spineless fit?

First thing I tried - it clips in, but the edge extends beyond the stops. The cutouts are spaced differently in the 7 O'Clock blade in the photo. There are 2mm between the back edge and the beginning of the cutout in a Valet/Feather SE blade; it looks like at least 3mm in the photo. I measure 12mm from the cutout to the cutting edge in the modern blade, looks like only 11mm in the blade pictured above. The overall blade dimensions and cutout width (4mm) are the same in all, so the cutouts are offset by 1mm. Makes you wonder what ol Henry was thinking of...

Proprietary blades meant higher profit, that's almost certainly what he was thinking.

Yes, but why design two proprietary blades for two different in-house razors? He'd still sell the same number of blades without the additional tooling costs of running off two similar blades.

Yes, but why design two proprietary blades for two different in-house razors? He'd still sell the same number of blades without the additional tooling costs of running off two similar blades.

Dunno - maybe he was going to stop making one, and just stick with the other? There's lots of stupidity out there with proprietary designs. Look at Sony. They've had almost all their proprietary designs fail except for Blu-Ray, and that was only because they bribed Wal-Mart. Mini-disc - failed because they demanded too much money for the rights to use the media. Betamax - failed because they demanded to much money for the rights to use the media. CD- they tried, but Phillips managed to strong arm them into a common media format, at a lower price point royalty. Memory stick - failed because they demanded too much money for the rights to use/make the media, so nobody used it except Sony. They STILL keep doing it, even though it's obviously a bad business practice.

Top Bottom