What's new

Need suggestion for replacement of Old Spice shaving soap (30+ years old)

My Dad bought a stockpile for a nuclear winter a couple of decades ago of Old Spice shaving soap. He prefers the smell of this old shaving soap. I can not describe the smell of this soap puck. My Dad mentioned the shaving soap is 30 to 40 years old. Is it possible the scent of the soap dissipated over time? I am looking to find a shaving soap that has a similar scent to original scent of this shaving soap. The amount of options in shaving soap scents is overwhelming at this point.

It is a 3 ounce shaving soap refill. This is all of the information, as it appears, on the back of the box.

Old Spice
Shaving Mug Refill

Ingredients
Sodium tallowate, potassium stearate, water,
sodium cocoate, potassium tallowate, sodium
stearate, potassium cocoate, glycerin, sodium
chloride, fragrance, titanium dioxide, benzyl
alcohol, trisodium hedta, BHT

3701-400251
Shulton, INC.
Memphis, TN. 38109
A Proctor & Gamble Company

I envy your good fortune, these soaps could be a treasure. It's easy to find out. Just lather it up and make up your mind then. Soaps are like wine and whisky, they usually get better with age.

Great googly moogly, you mean you have a substantial stockpile of vintage Old Spice shaving soap???:ohmy:

Or, do you mean he bought a stockpile, and you are looking for a replacement because the stockpile is finally gone? :ohmy:

Perhaps you still have a bunch of the the soap, but think it's lost it's scent and want to find something that smells like it did when it was new?:ohmy:

If the first is true, you should know that it's a sought after commodity, and new in box pucks can go for a pretty penny on auction sites.

If you are out of the old stuff and just want the scent in a current soap, besides the above mentioned Mama Bear product, there is an Old Spice scented soap available from Prairie Creations, but I read that the maker has closed up shop for awhile due to family issues. There is also an Old Spice scented cream from India.

If you still have the soap and think it's lost the scent, it probably has. It's prized for the performance and nostalgia factor as much as the scent, and most guys who are looking to buy the vintage stuff expect the scent to be gone or faint. If I had a pile of vintage OS soap and just had to have the scent, I'd add a little cologne or aftershave to the puck before lathering.

Correct me if I am wrong but wouldn't the soap be no more than 20 years old (not 30-40) if "Proctor and Gamble" is on the label as they bought Shulton in 1990?

Thanks,
Mike

My Dad bought a stockpile for a nuclear winter a couple of decades ago of Old Spice shaving soap. He prefers the smell of this old shaving soap. I can not describe the smell of this soap puck. My Dad mentioned the shaving soap is 30 to 40 years old. Is it possible the scent of the soap dissipated over time? I am looking to find a shaving soap that has a similar scent to original scent of this shaving soap. The amount of options in shaving soap scents is overwhelming at this point.

It is a 3 ounce shaving soap refill. This is all of the information, as it appears, on the back of the box.

Old Spice
Shaving Mug Refill

Ingredients
Sodium tallowate, potassium stearate, water,
sodium cocoate, potassium tallowate, sodium
stearate, potassium cocoate, glycerin, sodium
chloride, fragrance, titanium dioxide, benzyl
alcohol, trisodium hedta, BHT

3701-400251
Shulton, INC.
Memphis, TN. 38109
A Proctor & Gamble Company

bdev,

Thank you for the recommendation. I will order some of her "Aged Spice" shaving soap when the next batch is available from Mama Bear.

--------

Topgumby,

My Dad is opinionated in regards to his shaving and aftershave choices. It seems he grew up on Old Spice. I guess it was one of the major brands at the time? When he finds something he likes, he tends to stockpile quite a bit. My Mom purchased 50 pucks one year for him. No idea how long before they stopped production of this shaving soap. The stockpile is down to 10 pucks in the original boxes. I thought it best to start looking for a replacement early without having to resort to an inferior option.

How much do the pucks fetch at auction? I can not find any usable information regarding pricing. I doubt he is willing to part with them at any price but better to have the information on hand. Something about the "little things in life".

I opened one of the boxes to get a whiff of the scent. It is not as strong as I remember growing up but still hurts my nose when sniffing it up close. I guess storing soap in the original boxes and locked away in a giant Ziplock bag preserves the scent a bit. The shaving soap smells vaguely similar to Old Spice aftershave.

The lather is superior to anything I have used since I started shaving. I do not understand how he could switch from this to disposable razors and canned shaving cream after using this shaving soap. Given that it might be worth more than current shaving soaps, I will just put them back in storage while ordering some new shaving soaps for his birthday.

Thank you for recommending shaving soap from Prairie Creations. I will purchase a few more shaving soaps for my own personal use as well as the Old Spice scented soap. Their web site is back up, although it mentions shaving soaps are made post-order.

--------

Mike,

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction in regards to the age of the shaving soap. I had no idea that Old Spice made products before 1940.

50 pucks! Wow. The vintage Old Spice soap is one of the best soaps around. Production was stopped around 1991 or 92. Check out some on Ebay to see what it goes for and show your Dad.

There was a bunch of them that went with Buy it Now and Best offer prices rather quickly recently, about twenty bucks shipped. Ebay prices are notoriously variable, and looking at how quickly they sold I'd say that was considered a bargain by the purchasers. Twice that isn't uncommon.

It's more common to see the soap and mugs go as a set, and the prices are usually not too much different, indicating to me that what most soap and mug buyers are after is the soap.

To me, the real value of the stuff is that it is a physical link to a bygone day in the USA, when a guy could get a great soap for a reasonable price at the corner store.

BTW, in regards to the PC soaps, you should know I like them quite a bit and haven't had any negative transactions, but other members have reported issues with shipping delays and QC problems that are either what you get with a one woman business, or unacceptable, depending on your point of view, and the vendor isn't a member here anymore.

Aww! Those guys are just having fun with you!

PM me. I'll give you my address and you can send them to me and I'll dispose of them for you. Just 'cause I'm a decent guy.

----------

I remember driving past Shulton in NJ and the smell was intoxicating. I always loved Old Spice- still do. I have maybe 2 shakes left in my old time off white shaker bottle. I'm saving them for a special occaision. Don't even ask...I'm keeping the bottle.

bdev,

Thank you for the recommendation. I will order some of her "Aged Spice" shaving soap when the next batch is available from Mama Bear

Resurrecting this thread as I would like to know how good it was if you bought any, my dad has used Old Spice since time began :)

Barrister Mann Reserve Spice is an excellent soap with an awesome scent, supposed to be a replica of the Old Spice soap. Never used the Old Spice soap so I can't verify the authenticity, but I have used the B&M and it's great. Also consider Soap Commander Endurance, another OS replica.

Top Bottom