What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

For me, here is what I have used for today:

1. My safety razor: MISS SHARK (from Amazon)
  2. My shaving soap: Viking Revolution (Cedar & Pine scent)
  3. My shaving bowl: TIMELESS RAZOR shaving bowl with ridges
  4. My safety razor blade: Derby Premium
  5. My aftershave: Reuzel aftershave with original scent

Overall, I find this shave to be a 10/10 for me (especially when I use all of these as my first ever use of traditional shaving for the first time). ;)

Sunday morning, and another bright day.

Butterfield Brothers (Oldham) "Griffon" 6/8 square point straight razor
Vie Long 16745 wood handle pure badger brush
Edwin Jagger Sandalwood
1980s Yardley Black Label aftershave

Screenshot from 2024-04-21 10-35-41.png

Smooth and close. The Jagger Sandalwood is lasting well for a small pot, and lathered nicely with the Vie Long. Yardley Black Label is an old one but a good one.

I'll call it a "9" today.

I like a mild to medium-efficient shave, and I would not recommend Feathers on a Tech if you are just starting out. The angle is hard to find for a noob with a crazy-sharp blade like a Feather in my experience. Sharp blades were good for me (Nacet, Perma-Sharp, 7OC Yellow, Wizamet) when I first started using a Tech, but Feathers were not good at all. Happy to send you some samples of the blades that worked for me if you want to send me a DM.
Agree with these choices 100%….all very good with the Tech. I’ve been having some outstanding results with the Gillette 7 O’Clock yellow tucks….
I don’t get on with those Feather blades for some reason . We are incompatible.

GRUME 21 April 2024

Bobby B’s Daily Shave Report

1713697902899.jpeg

TODAY’ SHAVE AND CLEANUP:

Water
Razor(s)
Shaving Blade
Buffing Blade
Prep
Soap
Brushes
Rain (small
container)
Prep Cold Shave Hot​
KCG Shaving
VDH Buffing & tight spots​
Bic Chrome
#53 of 100
Shave #5
King C. Gillette
6 of 10
Cube 2.0 Menthol
Left Timeless Blue Bowl​
Noble Otter BARBAR
Right
Timeless Blue Bowl​

Noble Otter​
1 Prep
2 Lathering

Passes
Quality
Rating
Nicks
Weepers
Stubble
2​
DFS+​
9.5​
0​
0​
Light​

Comments: Blade #53 provided an acceptable shave this morning; however, there were hints it is wearing out. Harvested a lot of rainwater for future prep and lathering with rainstorm(s) lasting most of the day. Looking forward to a relaxing 'veg' day.

Cleanup:
  • Rinsed & dried face
  • Witch Hazel Dickinsons f/b buffing
  • A/S Aqua Musk f/b buffing
  • Omega Alum stick
  • Deodorant: Dr. Teals

A SOD.jpg

Pre-Shave
Face wash with Cera Ve Face Soap
Soap/Cream
Vintage Williams
Brush
Maggards 28mm Sybthetic
Bowl
Captain’s Choice Copper
Razor
Karve SB
Blade
Wizamet
Aftershave
Thayers WH & Every Man Jack ASB
Fragrance
Jimmy Choo, Man Intense
Rating
10/10
Comments
I switched to a new razor today. The razor is the Karve bronze SB. I place a new Wizamet blade. The shave was excellent but I can feel the blade getting a bit dull in the razor. The shave was smooth and close. Today’s brush is a large, 28mm, synthetic brush made by Maggards. This is the largest synthetic brush that I have. I am continuing to use the vintage Williams but there is not much left to the puck. This was the 116th shave with this fine soap. A perfect shave. Have a wonderful day and week ahead, folks.

Date21.04.2024
366 daily shaves
112/366

RazorBladeBrush
Gillette Aristocrat OC #15KCG China (2)Omega Proraso
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Mike’s Natural Soaps Barbershop (94)
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

PassesWTG XTG ATG and touch up
Process Quality
Blade Sharpness
10/10 (Clean)6/10 (Razor sharp)
EffectivenessShave Comfort
8.5/10
(DFS+++)
9/10 (Butterysmooth)

Notes:

Summary. An upper class shave with all upper class gear and software. A splendid start to Sunday.

Further shave notes can be found here.

Enjoy your shave!

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
From last night.

Pre-shave • King C. Gillette Face Wash

Soap • Arko

Bowl • CaYuen (Large)

Brush • Omega Evo Sapphire Blue

Razor • Rex Envoy

Blade • Lord Cool (1)

*Warm Shower*

Aftershave • Thayers Unscented + Bootlegger's El Dorado

Eye Gel • Neutrogena Hydro Boost

A fine shave last night before bed. About three days of growth knocked down. The Lord Cool paired nicely with the Envoy. It was sharp enough but not quite as smooth as the Silver Star for me. El Dorado for a superb finish.

9.5/10.

Have a blessed Sunday, friends.

Now Playing •

Preshave: Hot shower
Soap/Shave cream: Stirling Soap Barbershop
Brush: Jequil & Corenveo 24mm
Razor: 1955 Gillette Super Speed Blue Tip
Blade: Gillette Perma-Sharp (3)
Post shave: Pinaud Clubman
Rating: 9.5/10

My usual relaxing Sunday morning shave using a vintage Gillette razor. Wonderful, smooth, no drama, close enough. Totally enjoyable. A great way to start the day ...

proxy.php

Pre Shave: Warm Shower, Stirling Baker Street Liquid Bath Soap, Stirling Unscented Pre Shave Soap
Razor: Karve Bison
Blade: Personna Platinum Chrome (5)
Soap/Cream: Stirling Bay Rum
Bowl: The CaYuen Workshop Medium Damascus Shaving Dish
Brush: AP Shave Co Briar Handle 26mm Cashmere Knot
Post Shave: Cold Water Rinse, Thayers Unscented Witch Hazel, Nivea Unscented Post Shave Balm & Stirling Bay Rum
Rating: 10/10 A comfortable efficient 3 pass BBS shave with one touch up, two weepers, no cuts or irritation. Weepers either operator error or blade is coming to the end of it's life. A very good shave.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Sunday SE SOTD, April 21, 2024

Razor : Yaqi Excalibur head with a Yaqi Milano 316 SSP handle, Mfg 2021, tame mid range. Simple design for clamping blade with small head parts( I assemble on a wash cloth seems to work better for myself). This was my first AC 50mm length bladed holding razor so I got use to using it and I receive good results regularly( The Yaqi Romulus is their 2nd variant AC razor and is excellent 316 SSP CNC machined razor that I enjoy slightly more but not by much than the Excalibur.) Had a close comfortable shave.
Blade : Schick proline p30(1) sharp and smooth with reasonable longevity.
Soap : Razorock Emperor, nice sharp scent with a cologne twist to it + excellent lather qualities.
Brush : Yaqi (Orbital ring) 24mm boar bristle brush. Excellent lather generator, soft tipped split-end boar bristle hairs, nice splay scrubber + excellent lather painter.
Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave : Razorock Emperor aftershave with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results : Dial 9.jpg or CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: Had a close comfortable shave this morning with my Yaqi Excalibur 50mm blade razor with a Schick proline blade.
SOTD April 21 2024.jpg

Have some great shaves!

The last two shaves, in which the Major repeated himself repeated himself.

Warm shower
Phoenix Shaving Accoutrements Prickly Pear Mentholated Preshave Soap used as post-shower face wash + pre-shave
Naked Armor Stainless steel Scuttle
Razorock Bruce synthetic brush
Nivea Men Sensitive Skin shaving cream

Gillette Slim Adjustable, 1966 Q3, set at 4 above the jawline, 5 below
Personna Platinum blade (4th & 5th uses)
WCS Coconut Lime After Shave Splash the first night, then Zingari Man Unscented Recovery Splash the second

#1 9/10, #2 8/10. Close each time, but a bit too close for comfort the 2nd.

-MO

Top Bottom