What's new

La Faulx by Atelier Durdan Pass Around…..

My Atelier Durdan order arrived today. Can't believe yesterday it was in Germany and today it arrived in Florida? Is that even possible? Anyways here it is:

IMG_9253.jpeg

Hmm. That kills what interest I had. I've paid UPS fees twice already this year and it will be a long time before I will feel compelled to use them again. Too bad they can't use the mail.
I left work early since I saw the package was delivered right before 2pm. Why would UPS think leaving a package right out in the open in front of my garage was a good idea?

IMG_9254.jpeg

Porch pirates are bad enough and now it's even easier leaving it in my driveway by the garage door. Seriously???

Well last but not least I saved the La Faulx for last. Those that don't know I bought the Le Maurice and Vestige along with this are the same time.

This is only my second AC razor and only second AC shave ever. Using a Kai Mild blade.

I was a little intimidated by the curvature of the open comb as it resembles a claw or talons and I was hoping they weren't going to be as bloody.

First couple of strokes with the top cap mostly parallel to my face it seemed like too much drag and it wasn't cutting great. Went for the opposite angle, using it almost like an ice scraper and it seemed better.

You can definitely feel the teeth of the open comb and I'm not sure why he designed it so differently than any other open comb I've used. For example the only other AC razor I have is a Razorock open comb and there isn't a severe rake angle of the teeth and the teeth feel smoother on the skin not so bitey and scrapey if those are even words.

I just feel for the amount of $$$ that Atelier Durdan charges for these it should have a smoother finish than more mainstream and way less expensive razors. For example Razorock has in their motto, "these are tools not jewels" and I get that but the way the teeth are in comparison I would dare say the Hawk OC is more jewel like than the La Faulx.

As far as the end result I'd say DFS for sure, but it wasn't as pleasant as the Le Maurice shave.

Well last but not least I saved the La Faulx for last. Those that don't know I bought the Le Maurice and Vestige along with this are the same time.

This is only my second AC razor and only second AC shave ever. Using a Kai Mild blade.

I was a little intimidated by the curvature of the open comb as it resembles a claw or talons and I was hoping they weren't going to be as bloody.

First couple of strokes with the top cap mostly parallel to my face it seemed like too much drag and it wasn't cutting great. Went for the opposite angle, using it almost like an ice scraper and it seemed better.

You can definitely feel the teeth of the open comb and I'm not sure why he designed it so differently than any other open comb I've used. For example the only other AC razor I have is a Razorock open comb and there isn't a severe rake angle of the teeth and the teeth feel smoother on the skin not so bitey and scrapey if those are even words.

I just feel for the amount of $$$ that Atelier Durdan charges for these it should have a smoother finish than more mainstream and way less expensive razors. For example Razorock has in their motto, "these are tools not jewels" and I get that but the way the teeth are in comparison I would dare say the Hawk OC is more jewel like than the La Faulx.

As far as the end result I'd say DFS for sure, but it wasn't as pleasant as the Le Maurice shave.
IMG_9272.jpeg

I'm curious why you chose the open comb instead of the closed comb. Do you have many other open comb razors? Do you prefer open comb razors?
I love open comb razors. If I have a choice I always order open comb. Both Wolfman razors I ordered WR3 and WR4 are open comb. All my earlier Wolfman orders were open comb, I just bought an open comb Karve G plate in both brass and SS.

I'm still dumbfounded as to why I'm only like the 6th or 7th person that bought an open comb La Faulx. I don't think anyone on this forum even has one in open comb. I can't fathom why everyone chose closed comb.

Last edited:
Hi folks, does anyone own the La Faulx in titanium sand blasted finish? If so, would you be so kind to post a picture? Does the finish look similar to the very nice Blackland satin finish on Vector Ti or Blackbird Ti? I would like to purchase another La Faulx razor in titanium but have a hard time deciding on the finish.

I received my La Faulx ++ base plate yesterday and gave it a spin this morning. Wow is all I can say. So now I have the Classic, +, and ++ plates (expensive way to find out what I like best) and each is a step up in efficiency. I didn't notice much difference in smoothness between the Classic and + plates, but the ++ plate does lose a little smoothness as there is more perceived blade feel. It is still very smooth, but it does bring more blade feel into the equation.

I used a new Kai Mild and was rewarded with one of the best shaves I've ever had. The ++ has the efficiency I was hoping for and it seems equal to the Stando Chors DE I got a week or so back that has quickly taken top honors on my DE front. As I mentioned above, the ++ does come with some blade feel (similar to Yates H) but is remains easy on the skin, but not quite as smooth as the Classic or +. My face feels silky smooth at the moment. Let's see how long the shave lasts. Hopefully I'll be able to use the ++ on a daily basis....time will tell.

So for anyone wondering how all the plates stack up, here's my grading scale....of course YMMV.

Classic: Smoothness 10, efficiency 5, blade feel 0
+ Medium: Smoothness 9.5, efficiency 7, blade feel 2
++ Superior: Smoothness 8, efficiency 9, blade feel 4

I feel like there is an equal step up in efficiency with each plate which I've tried to illustrate. The smoothness of the La Faulx is off the charts as you all know so I graded the Classic and Medium about as high as I can as they are the smoothest I've ever encountered. The Superior smoothness drops a touch, but it is still as smooth or smoother than most of my other razors. I can see myself using the + and ++ as they provide the results I like. The Classic is not quite efficient enough so doubtful I'll be using that one very often.

I received my La Faulx ++ base plate yesterday and gave it a spin this morning. Wow is all I can say. So now I have the Classic, +, and ++ plates (expensive way to find out what I like best) and each is a step up in efficiency. I didn't notice much difference in smoothness between the Classic and + plates, but the ++ plate does lose a little smoothness as there is more perceived blade feel. It is still very smooth, but it does bring more blade feel into the equation.

I used a new Kai Mild and was rewarded with one of the best shaves I've ever had. The ++ has the efficiency I was hoping for and it seems equal to the Stando Chors DE I got a week or so back that has quickly taken top honors on my DE front. As I mentioned above, the ++ does come with some blade feel (similar to Yates H) but is remains easy on the skin, but not quite as smooth as the Classic or +. My face feels silky smooth at the moment. Let's see how long the shave lasts. Hopefully I'll be able to use the ++ on a daily basis....time will tell.

So for anyone wondering how all the plates stack up, here's my grading scale....of course YMMV.

Classic: Smoothness 10, efficiency 5, blade feel 0
+ Medium: Smoothness 9.5, efficiency 7, blade feel 2
++ Superior: Smoothness 8, efficiency 9, blade feel 4

I feel like there is an equal step up in efficiency with each plate which I've tried to illustrate. The smoothness of the La Faulx is off the charts as you all know so I graded the Classic and Medium about as high as I can as they are the smoothest I've ever encountered. The Superior smoothness drops a touch, but it is still as smooth or smoother than most of my other razors. I can see myself using the + and ++ as they provide the results I like. The Classic is not quite efficient enough so doubtful I'll be using that one very often.
Great comparison between the 3 levels of La Faulx. For me when comparing my Ti++ vs Ss+ vs Wr4 .86 Ti.

+ Medium Ss: Smoothness 9.5, efficiency 7, blade feel 3
++ Superior Ti: Smoothness 9, efficiency 8.5, blade feel 4
Wr4 Ti: Smoothness 8, efficiency 10, blade feel 6

Top Bottom