What's new

A newbie’s journey into DE shaving

The Kamado Joe grills do look to compete favorably with the Big Green Egg. I have to say, the quality of the Big Green Egg components is outstanding. I've had mine for 5 or 6 years... could be 7.. no rust on the grill or other stainless steel supports, gadgets, etc. I've been quite impressed. I replaced several Weber parts over the years... and had several Webers as they would rust out when we lived in PA.
I have 2 Webers, the typical old school round charcoal one and a Genesis gas grill. The charcoal one has never rusted but I've replaced some internals on the Genesis once because of rust. I think they're both like 5 years old!
Then again the Genesis is like 1/4 of the Green Eggs price. I guess it's expected for the Green egg to be perfect for it's cost and it's apparent that you've had that longevity for what you paid. So I guess it's worth it in the long run!
I'm still not buying one though! 🤣

What? It was a joke my father used to say. Didn't mean to come across as insensitive.
About 20 years ago, I was working for a steel mill up the Saint Laurence from Montreal. I got good and sick with strep throat. Fever of 102, tough to breathe, the works. My colleagues sent me to an urgent care not far from my hotel, "The Hotel Mortagne".

I go to the window at the facility and explain that I'm sick and may need some antibiotics. "That will be $1,000, please".

Really? A 10 minute visit would be a grand?

I told them where they could put the thousand dollars and walked out. Then, I called my wife and had her overnight me a bottle of Biaxin.

Spent the next two days teaching a class...with double pneumonia, then driving 6.5 hours to get home.

I'm sure the Canadian health care system is fine, if you are a Canadian.

Last edited:
I need to get one of those green eggs. I use the old time round Weber charcoal grill that I've been using forever. I don't know how much better the green eggs would be though. The Weber gives great results. The Green egg is mega expensive and that's why I think I've never bought one. I do like it though!
I only use it for smoking, and it's great for that. I have a Weber Summit and a Blackstone griddle on the deck as well. Nothing like having the right tools for a job.

I have done a Pork Shoulder on the Joe Jr. It has plenty of cooking area for 3 people meals. Check out Lowes.ca they often have sales also.
I will... the problem with the lake is that the BBQ sits for anywhere between 8-9 months before being used. So lots of time for rust in our usual BBQs to develop...which does happen. Plus I don't trust most people so I'd have to put it inside the cabin after the season is over.

I will... the problem with the lake is that the BBQ sits for anywhere between 8-9 months before being used. So lots of time for rust in our usual BBQs to develop...which does happen. Plus I don't trust most people so I'd have to put it inside the cabin after the season is over.
Mine wintered in the shed with no rust or issues. The top vent is painted cast iron. You might want to chain the Joe Jr as it only weighs about 70lbs. The Classic is about 180 lbs and I think the Big Joe is 240, lol.

I gave my Weber to the neighbour BABOOM! I am simply not meant for BBQing - preparing that is. Eating is In fine working order. We had that Weber for over 20 years and only used it twice! I am proficient with my Cadac2 however when camping. Great for all sorts of cooking especially when you want the smell outside of the caravan rather than inside for the rest of the vacation.

I gave my Weber to the neighbour BABOOM! I am simply not meant for BBQing - preparing that is. Eating is In fine working order. We had that Weber for over 20 years and only used it twice! I am proficient with my Cadac2 however when camping. Great for all sorts of cooking especially when you want the smell outside of the caravan rather than inside for the rest of the vacation.
Wow!
Can't live without the barbecue!
I cook with it at least once a week.
Only place I can cook though. The kitchen isn't my forte!

Did a brisket in my egg just before the surgery...Snake River Farms Wagyu. All gone :(. May need to fire up another one...

My wife gave me the Big Green Egg one year for Father's Day... I was a bit intimidated at first, but we took a couple seminars and I now make the best tasting meat dishes I've ever eaten on that thing.... Brisket, pork shoulder, ribs (both beef and pork), chicken breasts, steaks..... even simple hamburgers are great from it.
I have A BGE also, but it sits idle at the moment, I had a particularly bad case of SAD, smoker acquisition disorder. I have in addition to the BGE, I have a Pit Barrel Smoker, Two Weber Kettles, A Grilla Silverbac Pellet smoker, and a Hasty Bake Grill, which I won with my membership to Amazing Ribs. I have morphed into using either the Silverbac, the Hasty Bake, or the Webber Kettle.

I need to get one of those green eggs. I use the old time round Weber charcoal grill that I've been using forever. I don't know how much better the green eggs would be though. The Weber gives great results. The Green egg is mega expensive and that's why I think I've never bought one. I do like it though!
IMHO, the Weber Kettles can do everything a BGE can and then some. It has a larger capacity and you can smoke on it just fine. At one time some folks on the competition BBQ circuit used Weber Kettles and Weber Smokey Mountains and beat the guys with the offset smokers. If you want to smoke easily, a Weber Smokey Mountian is hard to beat, cheaper than the BGE, and a much larger capacity. The Egg can do something none of the others can, pizza. The egg is basically a wood-fired stove, you can get an Egg, or any ceramic smoker, up to 900-1000 degrees, perfect for pizza making. But don't get it just for pizza, there are many pizza ovens on the market that work just as good as an Egg for much less. You can bake bread in an EGE, or anything you'd bake in an oven can be done in the BGE. But you Weber can smoke just as well as a BGE can, check out the BBQ Brethren forum, but be forwarned, that place is full of enablers just like here.

About 20 years ago, I was working for a steel mill up the Saint Laurence from Montreal. I got good and sick with strep throat. Fever of 102, tough to breathe, the works. My colleagues sent me to an urgent care not far from my hotel, "The Hotel Mortagne".

I go to the window at the facility and explain that I'm sick and may need some antibiotics. "That will be $1,000, please".

Really? A 10 minute visit would be a grand?

I told them where they could put the thousand dollars and walked out. Then, I called my wife and had her overnight me a bottle of Biaxin.

Spent the next two days teaching a class...with double pneumonia, then driving 6.5 hours to get home.

I'm sure the Canadian health care system is fine, if you are a Canadian.
The Canadian health care is excellent if you are a Canadian Mark. With all due respect. Canadians travelling and vacationing in your beautiful country would never consider crossing the border without a health care policy for the USA. Your hospital charges are indicative of your Canadian hospital experience. On top of that our dollar is usually less than eighty cents US.

On a different note it is difficult for Canadians to buy US products. Especially smaller items. Notwithstanding the exchange with shipping and border duties not unusual to exceed the price of the purchase. Free trade is a very loose expression.

I think the EU also has different arrangements between Canada and USA. At least there are products that have less duties and taxes than a similar product from the US. And sometimes it’s vice versa. Lovely products coming from both sides, so if necessary I tend to take the hit after careful evaluation of course.
Right Guido. I’m not saying you shouldn’t buy USA. You really have to want it and be prepared to spend as much on exchange, shipping, and border duty. My beautiful American made Titanium handle is such a case. I have no regrets with the purchase but I paid through the nose to get it. I won’t buy my SV products from Uncle Sam anymore because they are lower priced in England, Portugal, and the Emirates. It is that same three costs that drive the price so high.

Top Bottom