What's new

Karve Overlander

Until today's shave, I was wondering if I bought into a bunch of hype. But once you get it right ... wow! :)

For me it's just I don't have to worry about have a comfortable and great shave. It's just a great razor.

I feel it's the same for the people who think Henson is GOAT. Same for Gamechanger 76 or Alpha Outlaw Evo.

All these razors were made to be easily accessible and used by anyone and have a good experience shaving without worry. Great razors, it's not hype if it's just good design.

The way people describe the Overlander is a bit confusing to me. How does it compare to the GameChanger line ? is it closer to the GameChanger 68 or 84 in terms of efficiency ?
I have found that I get smoother and more efficient shaves with the Overlander than with either Gamechanger. I always thought the 84 gamechanger was never worth the aggression as it never gave me more in efficiency compared to the 68. Not sure if I am in the minority there but that's my experience.

I like the Game Changer; I like the Lupo; I even like the Rockwell 6s. But none of them have ever given me consistently gentle and effective shaves like the Overlander. All I have to do with the Overlander is find the neutral angle and then key in on its smoothness. It's friggin magical. :)
Which version of the Overlander do you have ? Do you think it makes a big difference in the shave to go with SS over AL ?

Which version of the Overlander do you have ? Do you think it makes a big difference in the shave to go with SS over AL ?
I only have the SS version. I've never tried any of the others. I've used the Bison twice and am intrigued by the light weight of the Aluminum. If I added another Overlander, it would be the Aluminum. The SS, IMHO, is very well balanced with the 3.5 inch handle.

full

I only have the SS version. I've never tried any of the others. I've used the Bison twice and am intrigued by the light weight of the Aluminum.

Really nice picture btw. I'm quite intrigued by both the Overlander and the Bison. I've heard so many good things about the Overlander from people who enjoy the Lambda Athena, raving about its comfort to efficiency ratio.
I do think the Bison has an interesting new feature in its design, the baseplate angles being cut off like the lupo allow for the blade to be closer to the edge.

What do you think of these two, how do they compare to each other for you ? Is the Bison as efficient and comfortable as the Overlander ?

Really nice picture btw. I'm quite intrigued by both the Overlander and the Bison. I've heard so many good things about the Overlander from people who enjoy the Lambda Athena, raving about its comfort to efficiency ratio.
I do think the Bison has an interesting new feature in its design, the baseplate angles being cut off like the lupo allow for the blade to be closer to the edge.

What do you think of these two, how do they compare to each other for you ? Is the Bison as efficient and comfortable as the Overlander ?
I recently acquired the Athena as well and it's a beautiful razor ... and it shaves very efficiently. But I'm still not quite used to using it. The same goes for the Bison (I'm not quite used to using it). But I will say that the Bison seems to be similar in efficiency to the Overlander. And the Athena is more efficient than the Overlander. Having said that, I'm sitting here 10 hours after my shave today with the Overlander and I'm still BBS. Now, I've nailed down the smoothness with the Overlander. I haven't nailed down the smoothness for the Athena nor the Bison as of yet. Though I've caught glimpses from both. TBH, it will probably take me a while to get used to them.

I'm most intriged with the weight of the Bison. It is a lightweight and extremely manueverable razor. The Lupo style notches contribute to that. But again, I'm not used to using it. I think the Overlander would be just as fun to use with the same lightweight material. The notches would be nice but not necessary due to my shaving technique around my nose.

As you described on the Athena thread. The OCD kicks in too much with the Athena ... it's sort of a ritual cleaning and polishing the razor to put it back in the box. It' really is a gem.

Regarding the pic ... Thanks.

I don't have an aluminum but I do have a brass and I have found that a titanium handle makes all the difference to me when using it. The titanium handle is approx 20 grams different and I feel the difference. That being said, I've used all my stainless steel head razors with a titanium handles leading up to acquiring it so maybe I was just not used to the substantial weight of the brass handle. I have an aluminum lupo but I am not the biggest fan of that light of weight of a razor as it requires some pressure to get through the stubble - so why not just get a heavier razor that adds that weight for me and does so more uniformly than my own hand pressure? Your preferences might be different.

Long story short - I have found weight plays a factor for me. Too light and too heavy throws me off. Is it something you can get used to and adjust for? - maybe, it just depends on how sensitive you are to these things.

Recently picked up a SS Overlander and had some great shaves right out of the gate. Previously had the brass version and did not get along with but SS is butta

Same thing. My fingers had strong metallic smell, and everything I touched smelled like brass, was weird. So I got the SS and couldn't be happier. It's #1 with my Apex at #2.

I swear, Aylsworth Apex is an Overlander with Plus Plate.

Recently picked up a SS Overlander and had some great shaves right out of the gate. Previously had the brass version and did not get along with but SS is butta

^^^^ Truth!
Interesting that you found a difference. The razors are not too far off in weight. I have both as well but don't use the original handle as they both seem to heavy for me. I do think I am noticing a bit more suction or drag with the stainless steel. I am assuming that this is because I did do a semi-polish job to the head of the brass which I remember feeling the same way. I will have to do a side by side to see if the polish really makes a difference as my lather could be off today. That being said, the brass semi-polished Overlander has been my daily driver for awhile and I don't ever pay precise attention to my lather and have not had the suction issue since I polished it (to my memory).

Interesting that you found a difference. The razors are not too far off in weight. I have both as well but don't use the original handle as they both seem to heavy for me. I do think I am noticing a bit more suction or drag with the stainless steel. I am assuming that this is because I did do a semi-polish job to the head of the brass which I remember feeling the same way. I will have to do a side by side to see if the polish really makes a difference as my lather could be off today. That being said, the brass semi-polished Overlander has been my daily driver for awhile and I don't ever pay precise attention to my lather and have not had the suction issue since I polished it (to my memory).

I had the brass first, and also found it too heavy (advanced arthritis in my thumb) when held certain ways. I did notice drag or suction, but when I got it plated, that drag went away. I got the stainless steel version last year with a shorter handle, and it seems perfect. However, it is a matte finish, and on occasion, I do notice a little drag at times. I used it this morning and had no drag noted. So maybe my lather was slicker?

I had the brass first, and also found it too heavy (advanced arthritis in my thumb) when held certain ways. I did notice drag or suction, but when I got it plated, that drag went away. I got the stainless steel version last year with a shorter handle, and it seems perfect. However, it is a matte finish, and on occasion, I do notice a little drag at times. I used it this morning and had no drag noted. So maybe my lather was slicker?
May I ask which handle and the size you got? I am curious if you can weigh it for me? I've been contemplating that solution as I would love to use a Karve handle with the Karve razor.

For reference I measured the following for my standard 90mm handles:
Brass - 73.5 grams
Steel - 67.8 grams

Timeless Crown (Titanium / 90mm) - 42.7 grams from their site and is my current go-to on my brass.

Mr. Shavington

Knows Hot Turkish Toilets
I suspect the choice of metal is very personal. I didn’t like the steel Overlander as much as my brass one. The feel on my skin wasn’t as nice - it seemed colder and harder. And now I’ve found that I like the aluminum one even better - not just that the light weight suits the razor for me, but also the anodized finish feels smoother and seems to glide better.

Might be the opposite for you. But I’m pleased that the two Overlanders I liked best are also the two least expensive ones.

May I ask which handle and the size you got? I am curious if you can weigh it for me? I've been contemplating that solution as I would love to use a Karve handle with the Karve razor.

For reference I measured the following for my standard 90mm handles:
Brass - 73.5 grams
Steel - 67.8 grams

Timeless Crown (Titanium / 90mm) - 42.7 grams from their site and is my current go-to on my brass.

For the brass, it was 3.5 inches and I am not sure about weight, maybe on the site? It was the Overlander design. It has been sold so I don't have any other info on it.

The stainless steel is 3.25 inches, 61.2 grams, and is the Overlander design. That little less length, along with the lighter metal, made a big difference to me.

Hope that can be helpful for you.

I can attest to that. I ended up with all four: stainless, aluminum, brass and copper. I love them all. The copper is super handsome. I decided to buy different handle options for them just so they all weren’t exactly the same.
Which handle do you prefer? Do they all have the same kind of 'grippiness' or is one more slippery than the other?

Thank you @jason2, I have mixed Timeless parts and swapped out handles but never have I used dissimilar brand cap and plate before. You inspired me and I ended up with my most enjoyable shave in a decade!

Timeless SS scalloped cap (gold plated)
Overlander plate
Timeless crown handle
Treet Platinum blade
Sea Spiced Lime soap
CC copper bowl
SOC Mistura brush
Stirling lemon chill AS
Power Stick lotion
IMG_1054.jpeg

Top Bottom