What's new

Safety Razor Acquisition Thread.

Gibbs 'Adjustable' or #15 or #17

• An iconic razor which didn't develop that much through the years, but some changes did occur.
  • The design of the metal parts changed slightly over the years which I have shown here:

Comprehensive comparisons between 'Gibbs'-adjustable razors - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/comprehensive-comparisons-between-gibbs-adjustable-razors.620278/

• The metal parts can be chrome plated brass or gold anodized aluminum making a big difference in terms of total weight.
  • Some of the earlier models can't be taken apart(removing the handle from the head part) like the later models.
  • The cases also varied through the years, so when I saw this specimen in a purple colored case I had to have it 🙂
  • This model seems to be an early one in gold anodized aluminum and it can't be taken apart. Looks like it has been used sparingly when bought many years ago.

IMG_3586.jpg
IMG_3587.jpg
IMG_3588.jpg
IMG_3589.jpg
IMG_3590.jpg
IMG_3591.jpg

Just back from Amsterdam where my wife and I were looking to kill some time and get out of the rain and gusty winds, and happened on “Antiekcentrum” and ducked in for a look. What appeared to be a small shop just kept going and opening up wider—I picked up a Sanssouci SR, and then saw a Slim and these two, and while I wasn't sure what they were, I figured they were British, and once I saw the barber pole design, I couldn't leave them for 10 euro cash. After a bit of research, what I thought was a British Rocket appears to be a 1958 ish German Parat, and the other a 1948 British Aristocrat. The Aristocrat was grungy and soap-caked, but the Rhodium cleaned up well and I plan to use it the next shave. The Parat was used this morning and gave a good, predictable SuperSpeed shave. Finding complete sets are nice, but for me, it's all about the razors, so I have no problems picking them up when I see them.
IMG_3734.jpeg

IMG_3738.jpeg
IMG_3742.jpegIMG_3741.jpegIMG_3739.jpegIMG_3735.jpegIMG_3736.jpegIMG_3737.jpeg

I went antiquing yesterday with the Mrs and scored a pair of flare tipped super speeds for a couple bucks each. They’re going in a drawer, but the score of the day was this cased Slim with the 2 blade cartridge still in it!

1704045980413.jpeg

There’s one blade still in the cartridge, and based on the condition, I’m thinking the gentleman may have used this razor once then shelved it.

Here’s the “after a nice bath” photos.

1704046060752.jpeg

1704046093548.jpeg

I went antiquing yesterday with the Mrs and scored a pair of flare tipped super speeds for a couple bucks each. They’re going in a drawer, but the score of the day was this cased Slim with the 2 blade cartridge still in it!

View attachment 1772896

There’s one blade still in the cartridge, and based on the condition, I’m thinking the gentleman may have used this razor once then shelved it.

Here’s the “after a nice bath” photos.

View attachment 1772900
View attachment 1772901
15? you open to offers at 12 ?? :clap::stuart::whistling:

IMG_8967.jpegIMG_8970.jpegIMG_8973.jpeg

Just found this at an antique mall yesterday.

I've been looking for 40's super speeds and I think this is a 1948 version.

1. Notched
2. Creased base plate
3. Milled center post
4. 2nd and last year of the paper box.
5. first year of the Speed-Pak dispenser (love the color). it still has a few T2 (1948) blades in the dispenser.
6. "PACKAGE" on base plate.

The razor cleaned up very well. It looks factory fresh after some cleaning and polishing. The box had a few U2 (1949) blades laying loose in the bottom. Has this razor only had a few uses since new?

Let me know if I'm incorrect on the dating. I've been studying the late 40's SS's and they have a lot of nuances over just a few years.

The lid is "pancaked" and one side is missing.

IMG_8966.jpegIMG_8967.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_8971.jpeg
    IMG_8971.jpeg
    933.5 KB · Views: 6
LOOK WHAT CAME IN THE MAIL TODAY! (No, not the cream/soap of which I have several brands, and styles like we all do (puck, cream, so on).

Mühle R41 open comb --ooooh, looks pretty. 👀

Edwin Jagger DE87 closed comb --- also good looking, but I have Merkur 34c, and this *looks* very similar in terms of the shave it will provide (and reviews). So I am tempted to ship it back for refund. Two points extra for Jagger as they inserted a small piece of paper in the top (where blade is inserted), the little attention to detail is nice. So the Jagger is WAY nicer looking than the Merkur 34c (rolled up aluminum foil look 🥺, but an excellent beginner DE razor), but the Jagger looks classy. Decisions, decisions. (Interestingly a Feather blade came inserted with the Jagger; fairly sharp blade but they must think it pairs well with a closed comb since there is a built in measure of safety?)

Comments? TY.

Cheers.

IMG_2162.jpg

Top Bottom