What's new

RICHEST tallow based soap?

RICHEST soap base?

• Total voters
Grooming Dept Nai is the best non-tallow soap I have used. It is better than most of the tallow soaps I have used. Admittedly, there are a select few tallow soaps out there that are better than Nai, but not many.

I haven't used a lot of soaps, but so far my B&M soft-heart base tallow and Speick Active vegan based are my favorite soaps from both worlds. The only issue I have with the Speick is that it's not the most economical soap and it doesn't lasts very long.

I agree that "richest" is a hard trait to quantify, but I would include Mystic Waters in my list of what fits that description. It's considered notoriously finicky and probably takes longer to lather than @RayClem would like (friendly banter, saw your earlier post on lather time 😎), but really provides a great rich lather and post-shave feel.

I agree that "richest" is a hard trait to quantify, but I would include Mystic Waters in my list of what fits that description. It's considered notoriously finicky and probably takes longer to lather than @RayClem would like (friendly banter, saw your earlier post on lather time 😎), but really provides a great rich lather and post-shave feel.
“Mystic Waters?” 🤔

That’s a NEW one to me.

Care to elaborate?

My vote goes to DR Harris. Beautiful thick lather. They got some nice scents and wooden bowls too. What's not to like?
I have a puck of DR Harris tallow soap in my collection. If purchased it with the wooden bowl; that makes it one of the most expensive soaps in my collection. However, with respect to performance, it is in the bottom 10% of my collection. Thus, the price to performance ratio is abysmal.

Most of my best performing soaps are vegan, the quality I look for in a good soap or cream is the slickness, residual slickness, protection, post shave feel and ease of lathering, although I also have some great performing tallow soaps..

My favorites just happen to be mostly in the vegan side, ie. ABC, Panna Crema Nuavia, I Coloniali Mango (discontinued and the slickest I have tried), Saponificio Varesino , MdC, PAA CK-6..

Tallow: Czech & Speak, Valobra, B&M, Tabac, Stirling, RR MF..

I also use shaving creams that has excellent slickness ie. SMN, AdP, XPEC( discontinued) Baume.Be, Alvarez Gomez,
Tabula Raza

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
The performance of Moon Soaps is excellent and their scents are very good also. I have several of their soaps and one of my favorites is Havana. However, I would place the Stirling Mutton Tallow base soaps performance above Moon. Only the Mutton Tallow base. Stirling's beef tallow has always left something to be desired for me.
I've recently found that adding a glob of Cremo to any soap kicks the performance up nicely...especially the Stirling beef tallow soaps.

Better than most of the soaps listed in the vote selection, PAA CK and CK-6 soaps, non-tallow soaps, perform better than most tallow-base soaps.

Last edited:
Top Bottom