What's new

In search of an almond sized spoon

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
So, after eating almonds for the last few days, I think I have gained a couple pounds, but, I also got now a good understanding of the size of an almond kernel. From the bag of almonds, I picked out the smallest I could find, and also one that is a bit larger than the average almond. There might be a larger, or a smaller one left in the bag, and if I come across these, I definitely will post them as well.
Took pictures with a ruler (Starrett, nothing better than these...) to shown the size differences a bit better.
I also weighed them, used a small GEM scale I normally use for my reloading when checking throw weight of the powder.
The small on weighs 0.86 gram (13.2 grains) and the large one is 1.45 gram (22.3 grains). This is quite a difference!!
Could you imagine the shaving results if your soap amount will be so much different!!!!!

BTW, the scale was set on a granite slab that is resting on a dense rubber mat. As always, my good old Harrods golf ball also assists as a size scale comparison item.

IMG_5387.JPG

IMG_5388.JPG

Last edited:

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
So, after eating almonds for the last few days, I think I have gained a couple pounds, but, I also got now a good understanding of the size of an almond kernel. From the bag of almonds, I picked out the smallest I could find, and also one that is a bit larger than the average almond. There might be a larger, or a smaller one left in the bag, and if I come across these, I definitely will post them as well.
Took pictures with a ruler (Starrett, nothing better than these...) to shown the size differences a bit better.
I also weighed them, used a small GEM scale I normally use for my reloading when checking throw weight of the powder.
The small on weighs 0.86 gram (13.2 grains) and the large one is 1.45 gram (22.3 grains). This is quite a difference!!
Could you imagine the shaving results if your soap amount will be so much different!!!!!

BTW, the scale was set on a granite slab that is resting on a dense rubber mat. As always, my good old Harrods golf ball also assists as a size scale comparison item.

View attachment 1193061

View attachment 1193062
Can you fabricate a golf ball sized spoon, Mr Vey? A spoon that size could hold a few good almonds.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Quoting Sun Tsu: ,,To understand almond kernel, you must become a almond kernel“

BTW: Where did this almond size blob of cream standard started?
I think this is the main question here....why not the size of two peanuts?? Or half walnut??
Maybe people had no idea what the exact size of a snurdle is...
One of the reasons I use mainly harder soaps, or tubes of cream and don't care if I have a little too much, or not enough - just add more

I must admit I just had no intuition of < than 1/4 teaspoon being an almond sized to be honest. Your numbers make a lot more sense to me: 0.86 grams to 1.45 grams.

One thing you could do is count out a bunch of them (say 100 of them) and weigh them all at once and you'd get an automatic averaging?

Actually I think these guys have done just that:

Their mean is 1.43 grams for the kernel and not the 0.69 grams .. maybe 2003 was part of the great almond shrinkage disaster of infamy?

New Year bump...

My newly acquired 'master salt spoon' is essentially a measuring spoon for loading salt cellars. I have a bunch of family heirloom salt cellars that see practically no use in this day and age. But... this silverplate spoon will get to snurdle regularly in the den. Shiny! And strong!

ECF9BA1D-422A-4F89-934B-89385F13B31C.jpeg

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
Has anyone ever thought that different creams may require a different measure to get the ideal lather so you might need a set of spoons of different sizes that are cream/croap dependent?

Has anyone ever thought that different creams may require a different measure to get the ideal lather so you might need a set of spoons of different sizes that are cream/croap dependent?
Not I. You would have to keep a logbook to know which spoon to use with which soap. So far my 1/4 teaspoon has worked well.

So, in addition to grating my pucks into shave sticks, I can start loading creams and croaps into spice jars. I like that tall, svelte form factor.

Yeah, could use one as the shave mug for your wee Scott.

Seriously, though, since there was a debate over 1/4 or 1/2 of a tsp, I thought a spoon that does both might meet everyone’s needs. Seems perfect for creams, I ordered one to replace my demi tasse which is much too large.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well actually, Castle Forbes seems to be much richer than most creams, so if you were to measure it I’d recommend measuring half or less of what you’d use in, say, TOBS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
My new product line for 2021 will include "Pre-Cut Walnut Sized Portions of Proraso and Other Fine Creams." I will sell these pre-cut walnut sized portions at $1 apiece. No spoon required. Just show up at my back door M-F between 7.45 and 8.30 AM for your personalized snurdle. Cash only.

Now when I got my spoon, was when I bought my hammered copper shaving bowl from eBay the shop was based in Turkey and he included my spoon and it works spot on to be fair.

Top Bottom