What's new

Participation PIF - Czech Out These Blades

Shave 5 with my second Tiger. Tonight I loaded the blade in my newly acquired PAA DOC. This was my first shave with the DOC, although I am very familiar with the RR version. I know this razor shaves on the mild side and that could explain why I did not notice the WTG tugging on my chin area. The overall shave was quite comfortable, however I did notice that a lot of stubble was left after two passes. I don't know if the blade was starting to dull (which I had noticed a couple of shaves before) or it it was the DOC. I had to do quite a bit of work tonight to achieve something close to a BBS.

Monday I will load it in my newly reacquired PAA Prismatic, which I am very familiar with and we will see if the blade is done.

Tiger #3

Ok I must admit again this was a last minute save.
I had done a 2 pass head shave and one pass face w the new King C Gillette razor w a Nacet. But the shave was not close enough for my liking, and I just grabbed the Tiger that was around, put it in a RR Lupo and finished the shave.

All in all it was a good one. I guess this might count as a one pass? Was close and little irritation

RR Lupo
Art of Shaving cream
RR Plisoft
Gillette AS
Nivea AB

Yesterday: 8th and final shave with my 1st Tatra blade. Tatara Masamune OC razor and PdP soap. Sharpness began deteriorating with shave 6. By shave 8, the blade wasn’t very sharp. I got an OK shave with no nicks or irritation, but it was slow and involved some pulling. No way would I have tried shave 9. All in all, my experience with this blade was adequate far from top-tier.

This morning, 1st shave with my 1st Tiger blade. Same razor with Stirling Sheep soap. As expected, big improvement over yesterday, but that’s an unfair comparison (8th shave vs. 1st shave). More important, I had none of the harshness I often experience with a 1st shave. The shave was quite quick and pleasant, with no nicks or irritation. Final shave was very good DFS but not BBS. So a fairly good start. More to come after shave 4 or 5.

Fifth shave this morning with a Tiger in my Tatara Masaumune OC. Soap was PdP No, 63. Zero nicks or abrasions in any of these shaves, and no sense of pulling the hair or the skin, but the shaves have been slower (more passes needed) and slightly less close than with my favorite blades in this razor. So I pronounce this blade very smooth but not very sharp, at least in a mild razor. So the Tiger seems similar to the Tatra. We'll start seeing about the Tiger's longevity with the 6th shave tomorrow.

For those of you who've fallen in love with either of these blades, have you seen these prices?

Yup, seen it and put it in the cart as the the price is great but alas unable to pull the trigger...hahahahaha...shipping cost to my place...is wow!
Love the Tiger Platinum blade so far and gonna try the Tatra..

Tiger Platinum 5th
Soap Colonel Conk BayRum
Brush Yaqi 26mm Moka Express
Razor RR Game Changer.84 SB / BP Handle
Blade Tiger Platinum 5th
Shave with GC.84 paired with blade was nice, comfortable and smooth. This is an excellent DE blade...still good on 5th shave!
3+1 multiple passes. Should have been satisfied with 3passes but it was so comfortable and on the pickup pass caught a weeper. Still a very good session with mostly BBS to DFS result.
Tiger Platinum Blade 1
Shave#1: 9.7
Shave#2: 9.5
Shave#3: 9
Shave#4: 9.5
Shave#5: 9.5
20200606_210825.jpg

20200607_061827.jpg

Tatra shave #1 (blade 2).

Comfort: Very good
Closeness: Excellent
Durability: 3 more shaves to go
Setup: Feather AS-D2, proraso white, Omega

I shaved for three days with a Feather, and I'm now back to Tatra. Tatra is sharp, but nowhere near Feather from this point of view. It was a comfortable shave, very satisfactory in terms of closeness, but Feather is in different league IMHO.

I will shave three more days with this Tatra and then do a quick comparison with Astra platinum.

Czech'ing Out Tatra Platinum Blade 3 (4)

Razor:
Merkur 20C
Soap: Tabac Shaving Stick

Results: After 3 good shaves, the 4th shave is leaving stubble behind, but touching up took care of it. This is the last of my 3 Tatra Platinum blades.

Life Note: sorry that I haven't been posting regularly; life has snuck up on me, and I've been super busy as our section of the state re-opens and summer approaches (transitioning back to office life, re-opening church to in-house services, hosting visiting family, taking new classes, learning several new skills, waving Hi to my wife, mowing the lawn, occasionally sleeping). I still get a chance to read and like posts; just my turn in the whirly chair.

My Conclusion (YMMV): after several shaves from the 3 Czech-made Tatra Platinum Blades and the 3 Czech-made Tiger Platinum Blades, I have to say that the Tatras were better across the board. The Tiger line seems to have Q/A challenges while the Tatras are much more consistent.

Shave #2 with the Tatra Blade

Razor:
Razorock Game Changer .84 SB
Brush: PC Woodcraft 24mm Silvertip Badger
Pre Shave: Proraso Green pre-shave
Soap: Proraso Green Cream

Typical 2 days growth for this shave. Washed my face with Noxema cleanser before shaving.

Ratings:
  • Smooth: 7/10
  • Sharp: 5/10
Results: This shave was actually a bit nicer than the last; I think I can thank the Game Changer for that.
Sharpness took a big dive for this third shave. I 3 passes and a LOT of cleanup... so much that it basically counted as a 4 pass shave. A decent amount of tugging on the WTG pass, pretty smooth XTG, but LOTS of tugging ATG. I was careful with my buffing, and didn't get nearly as much feedback from the alum, barely any actually. Quite a bit of leftover when I was done. Almost DFS, but not quite. I'm calling this blade done after this third shave. No need for balm this time, so that was good. I think with the right razor and technique, these will be good for 2-3 shaves, as long as they're consistent.

Next shave I'll try out the Tiger to see how it compares.

Don't know if I've said this yet, but thanks @Grundi for organizing these blade tests, I really appreciate the effort that you've put into it!

Tatra edge 1 shaves 4 (Cella) & 5 (Palmolive stick). Wilkinson Sword Classic (plastic)

by the fourth shave you can feel the blade kinda winding down, particularly ATG. I got a couple of weepers on the chin, but there was very little alum sting elsewhere, so I think this was user error. In real-life conditions I would probably toss the blade at this point, but for the purposes of a test I'll give it another go, and I'm glad I did.

Shave five was in many ways a more comfortable shave, with a better finish and no weepers, but there was a certain post-shave rawness to my skin, so this edge is definitely done.

At some point I'll complete the trinity by testing the Tatra against the (older yellow) Tiger Stinless, but for now there's an English Wilkinson Sword I'd like to revisit from an earlier PIF.

I can say with certainty that the Tiger Platinum is sometimes a nice blade, but has some QC issues, which seems to fit in with what others have seen. I can't confirm that the Tatra doesn't have QC issues, but noone else seems to have any problems with them, so I look forward to my next shave with them.

Try the Tatra Platinum today
Soap Catie's Bubbles Barnegat Bay
Brush DS Cosmetics 26mm Badger
Razor RR Game Changer.84 SB
Blade Tatra Platinum 1st
Shave with razor paired with this new blade. Initial feel...smooth, sharpish and comfortable. Almost did not feel the blade. Another nice blade similar to the Tiger. 3 multiple passes enough for a real close result. Almost BBS (95%)
Tatra Platinum Blade 1
Shave#1: 9.5

Tiger Platinum Blade 1 (on hold)

Kit: Rockwell 6c R6 , Tatra (3) , Arko, Omega S10083 S-Brush Pro.

If a shave is all about whisker removal then the Tatra did well today. Unfortunately it isn’t and this shave resulted in facial damage. Weepers a-plenty, bloody scratches on the chin and widespread redness and inflammation resulting in rough, lumpy skin. Consequently this particular blade is finished for me, but being a glutton for punishment I shall try another in the Piccolo next time.

Tatra Blade 2 Shave 3

What a blade! My setup was:

Simpsons Colonel X2L brush
Merkur 37c
CC soap
CC CO9T

20200608_135046.jpg

The shave was outstanding. With little effort, I achieved BBS with no irritation or weepers. There was even no response from the alum block! This blade is amazing. I give this shave a 10.

7th shave with tiger blade and the JAWS razor. Lots of tugging and pretty uncomfortable. Blade is done. I’m going to swap between a few different razors that are less aggressive and let me shave every day for the next Tatra. I’m going to throw in my vote for the Tatra. Sharper at the start, smoother across the shave range and the amount of glue on my tiger makes my vote. Thanks @Grundi for the blades

Tatra/Tiger SOTD

SOTD-OS-W_2020-06-08.jpg
:001_wub:

Brush: Shavemac Olive Wood 20/44 Silvertip 2-Band
Soap: Vitos Red
Razor: Fatip Lo Storto Originale with custom olive wood handle
Blade: Tiger Platinum (2)
ASL: Proraso Red

I normally aim to shave daily, or every other day. This one was a four day job. Previously, the longest I've ever gone between shaves on my Fatip Slant has been three days. (I have prolific beard growth and coarse whiskers.)

The Tiger started pulling and jumping at the outset. I couldn't believe it as all my other Fatips plow through four and more days growth with ease... but of course the slant is different. In my limited experience, (for me) slants are best kept at a constant angle (steep) to the face with little or no variation... whereas "normal" DEs benefit from varying angles (depending on the location). It looks like I either need to do some more serious "dialing in" of my slant, or simply keep shaves down to three days or less. So, although the first pass was somewhat horrendous I'm just going to put that down to operator malfunction. :001_rolle

After the unpleasant first pass the rest of the shave went just fine and the blade performed perfectly, so my score will be based on that. The final outcome was (and is) a very pleasant BBS shave with only the usual slight tingle from the Proraso Red ASL. :cornut:

RESULTS:

TATRA Blade 1

Shave #1: 9.5
Shave #2: 9
Shave #3: 9.5
Shave #4: 9
Shave #5: 9
average: 9.2

Tiger Blade 1

Shave #1: 9.5
Shave #2: 9

Shave 6 (and final) with my second Tiger. Tonight I loaded it in my PAA Prismatic. From what I remembered about the Prismatic, there was some serious blade feel, but a very efficient shave. For tonight's shave, WTG pass had some tugging and a lot of noise, however it did a pretty good job in clearing whiskers. ATG pass was better in that there was not as much tugging, however it did not completely clear the stubble left after the WTG pass. I did an XTG pass along the jaw line and under the chin, which worked well, but I did feel more scraping than cutting. I still managed a near BBS, but not like the previous five shaves. Although this second Tiger blade was much better than the first, it still did not go past six good shaves.

I will now return to my regular blades for a while until @Grundi and @Space_Cadet come up with another batch of blades to test. Thanks for the opportunity to test these blades. Maybe I will go back to the Elios blades now as I was very impressed with them.

Tatra Blade 1 # Shave 2
Soap Proraso Green
Brush Yaqi 24mm Mountain Lake
Razor RR Game Changer.84 SB
Blade Tatra Platinum 2nd
Post & Aftershave
Ice Water + Special Thayers Mix
Hyaluronic Acid + Proraso Green Splash
2nd Shave combination with razor and blade was really comfortable. Smooth and sharpish...all 3 multiple passes was so pleasant and addictive. Efficient too...resisted the urge to do another pass. BBS for most areas except DFS+ at the usual spot and even then very close.
Tatra Platinum Blade 1
Shave#1: 9.5

Tiger Platinum Blade 1 (on hold)

Top Bottom