What's new

A guide and resource of Aftershaves for the Wet Shaver

Status
Not open for further replies.
A guide and resource of Aftershaves for the Wet Shaver.

The purpose of this post is to collect several members’ experiences into one place with the intent of providing a jumping off point and a trail map for those journeying into the mysterious world of aftershaves.

For the new initiate into the mysterious world of shaving and skin health, it is easy to become a bit overwhelmed and even intimidated when attempting to choose a product or products from the splashes, milks, skin foods, lotions, creams, and balms that currently make up the aftershave market. Understanding that positive performance of a product for a singular individual does not indicate that it will perform well for all, our team decided to sort through these many elixirs and attempt to classify them into groups so as to identify products that have the best chance of performing well with a specific skin type.

The guide has been composed and separated into four specific sections. Each of these sections was researched and written by a B&B member whose personal skin type fits the corresponding category. While none of these authors are professional skincare experts, all have spent a significant amount of time and money investigating aftershave products for their personal use and have kindly compiled these lists of their best performers.

Section #1 is for Dry skin by Jim
image.php
Section #2 is for Normal skin by TraderJoe.

image.php
Section #3 is for Combination skin by Austin

image.php
Section #4 is for Oily skin by Dinder1

Is this the last word? Absolutely not! We hope to spend much more time (and money) investigating all sorts of after shave products from near and far. Enjoy!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dry to Very Dry Skin – by Jim
As the successful performance of any aftershave is directly related to the shave, I’ve chosen to include some specifics about product ingredients that work well for my dry skin
As a rule when using soaps, I prefer those that are enriched with shea butter. These soaps provide for a slick, comfortable shave that leaves my skin in good shape. When I do choose to use a cream, I still opt to prime my brush with one of these fabulous shea enriched soaps.

As a matter of procedure, I regularly make 6 full passes when shaving and then follow up with the use of a plant hydrosol, such as Thayer’s Witch Hazel or QED’s Da Vinci water. The final step of the aftershave treatment typically includes a selection that categorically comes from the cream, milk, or balm type products.

The following is a list built in the general order of my personal preference, and it includes notations on strong points and average pricing of each product. Subsequently, the season and condition of my face (good shave versus a bad one) commonly influence my final choice of product. As I personally have a strong sensitivity and resulting dislike for products containing menthol, mint, spearmint, chamomile, lavendula, eucalyptus or camphor, I have not included any such product in this section.

As a final note related to application, I apply almost all of these products in a quite heavy or liberal fashion. As a result, the balms will actually get cloudy (especially if my face is still wet from the hydrosol), so I will allow it to sit for a minute or two and allow it to soak in. Any excess product gets blotted away with a towel. I find this method of application to be very effective at quenching my dry skin and allowing my face to have that healthy look for which we are all striving.

Olivia’s After Shave Balm
Olivia’s handmade After Shave Balm is absolute tops on my list. This balm is made in Germany, by hand, and in small batches with that old world quality and attention to detail. I use the unscented version, but Olivia will scent it any way you wish. This balm is packed full of good things and leaves my face super soft, very supple and ready for the day.
This has become my Fall-Winter go-to product. 15.00 for 100ml
www.olivia-seife.de

Kiehl’s Soothing, Nourishing Face Crème for Men
This is a fine product that has been a top choice of mine for many months. It leaves my skin very soft and supple. A little goes a long way. A mentholated version is also available.
16.00 for 125 ml @ www.kiehls.com.

Purpose Dual Treatment Moisture Lotion with SPF 15
This is a good all purpose conditioner and soother for the warmer months. I always use sunscreen so this is a great step saver for me in the morning. 6.00 for 120ml at drug stores. www.purposeskincare.com Review

Pre de Provence After Shave Balm
This is a fine French product that is enriched with shea butter (Karite’). This balm is freshly scented and is a perfect compliment to the fine soap that shares its name. The balm goes on easily and is both soothing and calming. Pre de Provence is not quite as skin conditioning and moisturizing as the Olivia’s or the Kiehl’s, but if your skin is normal to dry, this is a winner.
13.00 75 ml www.beautyhabit.com

Nivea Sensitive Extra Soothing Balm
This is the Cinderella of the Balms. It is a fine product in good packaging and at a rock bottom price. If your skin is normal to just a bit dry, this should be at the top of your list. Sold in drugstores nation/world wide
There are a few permutations of this product available.
6.00 100ml at drugstores www.nivea.com Review

QEDman Skin Basics After Shave Conditioner
As the name implies, this is a very fine skin conditioner and soother. It is perfect for the warmer months when I do not need the extra emollients that are in the balms listed above. If your skin is normal to dry this will be a fine overall choice. 6.50 for 60ml www.qedusa.com Review

Floris of London After Shave Balm
This is a premium product at a premium price and first rate in every way. If price is not an object this is a very effective and pleasant aftershave balm. It is available in Santal, Elite and JF scents.
53.00 for 150ml www.florislondon.com

DR Harris After Shave Milk
This product is a solid performer at a high price. The new formula is a creamer version than the original. It is generally thought to be at least mildly inferior to its predecessor. Review
45.00 for 150ml www.drharris.co.uk

Eshave after shave cream- white tea
This is a newer product for me. Because it’s very effective I wanted to include it in this report. The cream is balm like and provides a good amount of moisture and leaves my skin in good condition. Available also in cucumber.
22.00 4oz. www.eshave.com

Corn Huskers Lotion
This serves primarily as a First Aid treatment in my personal aftershave armory. If I really rough up my face, I will use the Corn Husker’s Lotion to calm and heal it. At this price, it should be in every shave den. Additional areas in which this product excels include acting as a hand lotion or a sunburn remedy.
A must have. Review
5.00 for 207 ml drugstores www.prodhelp.com

Conclusions
The products listed here have all served me well. Any of these products should provide you a great place to start your journey to shaving bliss. Enjoy!

Winter Favorites

Summer Favorites
Purpose Dual Treatment Moisture lotion with SPF 15

Best Value

Must have
Corn Huskers Lotion

Dry to very dry skin

Normal to dry
Eshave after shave cream- white tea

Top shelf with scent
Floris of London After Shave Balm

Discussion tread for part 1

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

image.php
Normal Skin – By TraderJoe

Pre/Shave/Post. Each is an essential component of a proper wetshave. For me, neglecting to execute all of those components appropriately will not only affect the day’s results, but also negatively impact the next shave.

For example, in the summer: If I don’t apply witch hazel and an AB/AS (alcohol based/after shave)….or If I overdo it with balms and moisturizers….my skin can get oily and possible result in breakouts. This causes a problem for the next shave. In the winter, my skin tends to be dry so if I don’t take good care of it after shaving, it will be dry the next time I go to shave and will cause poor results. Shaving a dry face never turns out well.

My typical post-shave routine will consist of the following combo:
  • Rinse (warm, then cold)
  • Witch Hazel
  • AB/AS
  • Balm/Milk/Moisturizer (if needed – typically yes in the cooler weather)
*A special note on using AB/AS. Some can experience “burning” or drying of the skin upon application. I avoid this tendency by splashing it onto a wet face. It should also be noted that alcohol is one ingredient (of a list of ingredients) that will help to restore the PH balance of your skin. Skin toners are also made to act as astringents and to restore PH balance.

The following is a list of my favorite after-shaving products, organized by category. Each item will also have “tags” as descriptors to help you better classify. For example, a “luxury” item wouldn’t be a necessary addition to your shave den, whereas “Must have” is something I wouldn’t be without. Season, condition of face after shave, and need for variety will affect my final choices.

AB/AS

Italian Floid

This is the After Shave I grab when I’m going for a touch of the “Old Country,” as my olfactory senses instantly transport me to an Italian Barbershop. I typically describe the scent as powdery-anise.

Italian Floid also has an amazing feel to your skin. It is exceptionally cooling, and reportedly has a lower alcohol content than a standard alcohol-based Aftershave

It does a wonderful job of soothing redness and irritation. And it does this very quickly. Less than 5 minutes after applying this, your face will be cleared of most redness/irritation. It will also leave your skin babysoft and nicely moisturized (from the contained glycerin).

Review Found Here
http://www.manufactum.co.uk/
Tags: Luxury

Aqua Velva

Good stuff. I enjoy both the scent and the menthol Bomb.

I'm on my second bottle now in about 8 months, its one of the most used products I have. Not to mention, I usually slather a lot of it on for the menthol kick. This is an after shave product that I would not be without. It contains alcohol, glycerin, and menthol. Not all AB/AS’s will contain glycerin, the ones that do will impart moisture to your skin. Some AB/AS’s will contain glycerin’s cheaper substitute: propylene glycol. I prefer those that contain glycerin.

Review Found Here
Available @ your local drugstore
Tags: Value/Must Have

Pinaud Clubman

Great scent. I enjoy using this aftershave and typically use it at least once a week (sometimes as a cologne). It does lack in the moisturizing department, but don't get me wrong....it doesn't dry the skin out especially is applied to a wet face, but I don't find it moisturizing. If I need moisturizing after using this I'll apply a balm.

Review Found Here
Available at your local drugstore
Tags: Value

Musgo Real

The Musgo splash, aside from having a spectacular scent (matching the shave cream), is packed full of goodies to help heal and protect your just-shaven skin….including alcohol, glycerin, witch hazel, aloe, and Echinacea extract. This is a superb aftershave that will be a mainstay in my collection. Most of the time, moisturizer or balm is not necessary after using this product.

Review Found Here
www.smallflower.com
Tags: Luxury/Must Have

Speick

Skip the alum and go right for the speick. It restores balance to the skin and provides natural care. Speick After-Shave splash contains pure fermentation alcohol, a combination of essential oils, extracts of genuine Speick plant, skin toning witch hazel, lavender water, moisturizing substances, and refreshing and astringent ingredients such as alum, menthol and camphor.

Review Found Here
www.smallflower.com

Taylor’s

The Taylor Aftershaves complement the creams and EDT’s very well. The fragrances are very high quality and lasting. The Taylor aftershave is a non-moisturizing aftershave, but it works very well at knocking out irritation and razor burn.

www.classicshaving.com

Aftershave Balms/Milks

B&B Aftershaving Milk by Mama Bear

This is a true “miracle product”

I have the Sandalwood (Unscented) version of the Mama Bear Milk. This stuff is incredible. I think it is a disservice to this product to call it a "summer" aftershave. I've got dry skin in the winter and this stuff works like a charm. It somehow imparts the ideal amount of moisture to the skin, without leaving it dry while at the same time.... without leaving it greasy. It’s literally a miraculous thing. A very thin aftershave (it surely is a milk) it goes on wet and soaks in instantly and just leaves the skin feeling smooth, supple, and refreshed.

Review Found Here
http://www.bear-haven.com/Aftershave.html

Weleda

This product does contain alcohol, but it is a balm and acts like it and with flying colors. It has an incredible "care-giving" effect to the skin. This truly is "ambrosia" for the shaven face. This is for sure one of my favorite aftershaves. After shaving, I shake the bottle, pour some into hand and then smooth over my face. As mentioned, it does contain alcohol, but it goes on very comfortable (no burn). Although it doesn't claim a cooling sensation, it does have a cool feel upon application.

After application (you don't need much) it feels nice and moisturizing to the skin. Your skin will be very supple and soft, and this will also rid you of all irritations and razor burn.

Review Found Here
Available @ Whole Foods

Nivea “Energy” Mentholated ASB

As part of my quest to have everything "menthol" I picked this up to give it a try. This isn’t the best of the balms, but it’s cheap and effective enough to be kept in the rotation. I did found the Nivea mentholated balm to be lacking in the menthol department and somewhat burning on application. It does contain alcohol. The burn didn't last long, however, and it did a decent job of leaving the skin moisturized.

Review Found Here

Herban Cowboy ASB

Excellent all natural & organic product. Natural? Organic? Well, yes, and it works good too. Contains carrot & cucumber extracts, in addition to collagen and aloe among other soothing ingredients…and is scented with essential oils.

Available @ Whole Foods
Tags: Organic/Natural

Moisturizer

Avalon Organics Lavender Moisture Cream

This is my daily/nightly moisturizer, and I even find it highly effective as an aftershave balm due to its contained ingredients. This also works very well as an ASB. Soaks in very well, leaving no oily residue; has a pleasant (although fleeting) lavender scent from essential oil, and contains a host of skin healing ingredients to boot: this daily moisturizer is made with organic Turmeric, Arnica and Calendula to soothe redness plus superb antioxidant protection from Grape Seed Polyphenols, organic White Tea and Vitamins C & E.

Review Found Here
Available @ Whole Foods
Tags: Must Have

Toners

TN Dickinson Witch Hazel

An excellent, cheap witch hazel which does its job as an astringent. The scent is natural witch hazel, so can be off-putting to some. But, the scent is fleeting and won’t interfere with other shaving or EDT related fragrances.

Thayer’s Witch Hazel w/ Aloe

This has become my favorite witch hazel. This has lower alcohol content (a natural component of witch hazel) than most other witch hazels, with the addition of aloe vera. I find this to be gentle and somewhat moisturizing and it will see regular use, especially in the cooler weather. Not the cheapest witch hazel, but the best.

Available at Health/Natural Food Stores

To conclude, I always make sure to follow a good shave with the proper post-shaving process (and products). I hope you find this report useful, and if you have any questions you’d like to ask me personally….go ahead and send a PM. I’d be glad to help.

~Joe

Discussion tread for part 2

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

image.php
Combination Skin – By
Austin

My skin type seems to change with the seasons. My T-zone seems to be oilier than my jaw line and cheeks. During the spring and summer months, my skin produces more oil to my T-zone. During the fall and winter months, my T-zone is dry. I have to be careful what products I use with my skin type.

Preparation is important to all shavers. Most failed or uncomfortable shaves can be attributed to poor preparation. Take you time and you will be rewarded with a very satisfying shave.

Pre-shave: Soak my brush in hot water while I take a shower. Prepare shave cream/soap. Rinse face with warm and lather accordingly.

Post-shave: Rinse face with warm water and then cold water. Apply AS/balm to my wet face.

The following is a list of my current favorite after-shave products. These products AB/AS work for me and can possibly work for you:

D.R. Harris Aftershave Milk

The original milk. Unfortunately, it has been reformulated and several members have commented that it is now a heavy balm. The original was very thin and provided a very soothing and light balm. It was actually thinner than a balm but heavier than a splash.

Harris Milk is very soothing on my skin. I apply a pea size drop to my wet face and it absorbs very quickly. I does not leave any type of film or sealant. It has no alcohol.

The scent is very light and powdery. The scent dissipates in less than 2 minutes and will not clash with your cologne.

Availability: Harris Milk can be found at The Gentlemen’s Shop and Enchante online Review

Hydrolast Wet Shave Conditioner

I have both the Peppermint and Lime & Green Tea formulation. This product has been maligned in the past because of the cost and the amount of product. The small tub hold 2oz. You would think that this small container will be used in no time at all. Contrarily, this product will last you a long time. All that is needed is a minuscule amount for every shave.

Hydrolast is not a heavy balm. I apply a small dab of my finger to the palm of my hand. I then apply it to my wet face. I spread it over my chin, neck and jaw line. It spreads easily and absorbs well. It is very moisturizing and my skin feels great post-application.

Peppermint is very refreshing. I enjoy using it in the spring and summer when I need a refreshing balm. Lime & Green Tea has a very subtle lime scent. The scent dissipates almost immediately. I like using balms and aftershaves that disappear quickly.

Availability: Enchant online

Jason 6-in-1 Beard & Skin Therapy

This is a much underrated product that is available at many local health stores. The plastic bottle holds 8oz. and the cost is less than $10.

Jason is not a balm but closer to a gel. For you gents looking for a natural product, here it is. This is a good product for razor burn and skin irritations. I have even used it for sunburns. It contains Aloe Vera and other natural ingredients. A plus for this product is it also contains sunscreen for UV protection. I use about a drop on a wet face. A little goes a long way. The bottle will probably last me about 2 years.

The scent is light and very pleasant. It reminds me of barber shops when I was a kid. It is very refreshing.

Availability: Most health stores

Lucky Tiger After-Shave Toner

This is another underrated product. The plastic bottle holds 8oz of this gel. The cost is under $15.

Lucky Tiger is very similar to Jason Beard Therapy. Both are gels and the scents are similar. The real difference is in the ingredients. This one also has Aloe Vera and Chamomile. Lucky Tiger also has Witch Hazel. I apply this the same as Jason. Again a little goes a long way. This bottle will also last me a good while.

The scent has some citrus but is very similar to Jason Beard Therapy. I have a suspicion that this is the same product as Jason Beard Therapy.

Availability: Nordstrom’s, Whole foods, etc.Review

Mama Bears Cucumber Milk

I was lucky enough to have Joel send me a beta bottle of Cucumber Milk. Unfortunately, due to ingredient costs it is not available for purchase.

Cucumber Milk is a liquid formulation. It is runny and makes you think that it must not be very moisturizing. This would be farthest from the truth. I find this product very moisturizing and refreshing. I apply this product on a wet face. I hope to get quite a few uses out of this bottle before I run out. The scent is a very refreshing cucumber. A very nice pick me up.

Availability: Good news! Sue has created an unscented and a Lavender Milk. Get it directly from Mama Bears.

Saint Charles Shave Lavender Aftershave Milk

This is probably my favorite aftershave. Sue has created a wonderful aftershave Milk that I really like. It comes in a triangular 3oz bottle. The cost is less than $10.

Lavender Milk has a liquid consistency. I tend to use a drop on a wet face. It absorbs well into my skin well. It leaves my face moisturized and feeling great. This bottle will probably last me for a year or more.

The scent is lovely Lavender with a hint of mint. The scent does not linger very long.

Availability: Get it directly from Saint Charles Shave.

Honorable Mention

Due to limitations of time and space, I have left out a number of excellent products that work well with my skin type. If you have a chance, try these other great products:
There are many products available today. I am sure I have missed a few. Nevertheless, I find these products work well for my skin type. What works for me may not work for you. Try several products until you find what works best for you. Good luck.

Discussion tread for part 3

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

image.php
Medium to Oily Skin – by Dinder1

While I don’t feel that I have particularly oily skin, I do find that many After Shave Balms can by mid-day leave my skin feeling like an over-basted turkey.

So as of late, my focus has shifted towards the use of aftershave lotions or “splashes,” followed by a good moisturizer or balm. I find that the use of an invigorating splash has added a new dimension to my morning ritual, as well as allowed me to customize the level of moisturizer that I may need.

In short, I use the splash to neutralize any irritation and to sanitize the skin, then add the level of moisturizer, or aftershave balm I feel my skin needs for that particular day.

My After Shave Routine

Warm water rinse: The first thing I do is a warm water rinse. I make sure that I have removed any soap or residue that may have been left behind from whatever product I used for my shave, and then use a towel to make sure that my face is nice and clean.

Cold water rinse: The next step is a nice cold water rinse to tighten up the pores. This step can also reduce some if any irritation that the razor may have caused. I also leave my skin slightly moist for the next step of my routine.

Apply aftershave lotion: Now I apply the aftershave lotion to my skin and massage it in gently. This has become one of my favorite parts of my daily routine, and can be quite bracing and refreshing. I proceed to clean up my tools while the aftershave does its magic, which also gives it a chance to dry down.

Apply aftershave balm or moisturizer: Now I just need to assess how much added moisture I feel my skin will need for that given day. After I choose the product, I apply and massage it into my skin until it has been completely absorbed.

Aftershave burn? While aftershave lotions should be invigorating, they should not be painful! If you are experiencing excessive burning or pain, this could be a good sign that you need to revisit your shaving or razor technique, or that you could possibly be having a reaction to one or more of the aftershave’s ingredients.

Products that I have been using lately:

I will keep this list rather short because the other fine chaps here have mentioned many of these products. I will mention that I have been greatly reducing my variety of balms, and greatly expanding my collection of aftershave lotions. Also be aware that what works for me, may not work for you.

After Shave Lotions

Aqua Velva: This is a drugstore classic! At about $4.00, it out shines many lotions that cost $20.00-$40.00, and if your coffee isn’t waking you up, this will!
Review

Floid (Spain): This is one of my favorites. With its lovely scent and a healthy dose of menthol, it is just plain hard to beat, but one word of warning: Floid can be hard to find, and shipping can be outrageous
Review

Aubrey Organics Men’s Stock/City Rhythms: This is a great 100% natural lotion, with key ingredients such as witch hazel and aloe, and scented with only natural essential oils. For me this smells similar to CADE, but has better ingredients, smells better, and costs less than half of what Cade goes for. It’s available at many health food stores including Whole Foods.

Speick: This fantastic lotion adds alum into the mix, which can greatly aid in the relief of razor burn.

Review

After Shave Balms and Moisturizers

eShave After Shave Soother: This is a great every day balm that is fragrance free, dries completely matte, and won’t conflict with any other fragrance you choose to use post-shave.

eShave After Shave Cream: Another great product from eShave, but with the added moisturizing properties of shea butter.

Purpose with SPF 15: This is a great non-shave specific moisturizer with SPF 15, for those days you plan on playing in the sunshine.

Review

I hope this gives some of you fellas a few new ideas on how to mix up your morning routine, and most of all, have fun, and don’t be afraid to experiment a little.

Cheers,

DJ

Discussion tread for part 4

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom