What's new

Watches: steel or titanium?

Could anyone please elucidate me on why titanium watches (case and straps) are better than stainless steel ones?
I like the look of titanium Certina's, but that alone doesn't justify spending 50%+ I think.

Titanium is supposed to be lighter and stronger than steel. I have a watch made out of this material. I can't say whether it's worth the expense though.

I personally don't think that titanium is worth a 50% increase in price.
The only difference will be that the titanium watch would weigh considerably less than the same watch in stainless, but I really prefer the heft and feel of my watches that are made with stainless steel.
Cheers, DJ.

I agree with Austin and DJ. It's definitely not worth a 50% premium to get a titanium case. For one thing, unless the case is treated, it most likely will scratch much worse that stainless. I'm like DJ - I like a watch with a little heft to it, so I have sold off the few ti watches I had. My SWMBO, on the other hand, loves her Tissot ti watch, because she wants a light watch.

YMMV.

Titanium is much much lighter. It tends to have a slightly more base metal sheen than polished stainless steel. It scratches more easily but because of the lack of sheen scratches are less obvious. In other tensile respects, Titanium is stronger but 216 stainless is not exactly bendable so it won't make much of a difference..

I have a big Oceanus, its a big watch but the heft is much less than the similar stainless steel and anly a 20 percent price jump. So for me the comfort of the watch not whacking the wrist bones and such is worth it. Both 216 stainless and titanium are hypoallergenic but titanium even more so.

My last 2 watches have been titanium, a Breitling Avenger Seawolf and now an Omega Speedmaster X-33.

Titanium is considerably lighter than steel, I find it doesn't mark as easily, and being a darker matt finish it's not as bling as some polished steel watches. Although my watch is quite pricy, it looks fairly understated.

I only purchase titanium watches anymore. I like that it is a lot lighter and I love the grey color. They do scratch more easily, but it is somethign I can deal with.

My last 2 watches have been titanium, a Breitling Avenger Seawolf and now an Omega Speedmaster X-33.

me to. my daily watch is the X-33. Best thing is the size of the numbers. I can read it without glasses and fading eyesight.

I just saw this thread - coincidence! I have a Seiko SLL015 titanium watch that I want to sell. As watches go, I love it; it's the nicest one I've had (and I like it MUCH better than steel watches). But these days I feel more comfortable without a watch.

If you're interested, pm me.

Michael

I like my Movado. Steel construction but not heavy. I had a cheap Titanium Fossil several years ago that wasn't bad, I just didn't care for look.

Top Bottom