What's new

What is the appeal of this?

I ripped myself up yesterday with my Vision and a Feather, so I decided to use a cartridge razor today.

I lathered up the same as usual: towel, brush, Taylor's, etc. I shaved the same as usual: WTG, XTG, ATG. The only variable that was altered was the razor. And yet, the shave was not nearly as enjoyable. Why is this?

If I could go back in the past and inform me four years ago that in 2007 I'd be really into shaving, I think the old me would have been completely baffled. The present me is still baffled. I can't understand what the appeal of shaving is, but I can't deny that it's appealing.

I wonder if guys in the 20's, 30's, 40's, were as into DE shaving, too; or whether it was just routine since they grew up with it?

If I could go back in the past and inform me four years ago that in 2007 I'd be really into shaving, I think the old me would have been completely baffled. The present me is still baffled. I can't understand what the appeal of shaving is, but I can't deny that it's appealing.

I really should have let my face rest yesterday, as I didn't too very well with a straight on Saturday, but I thought, "no, I feel like shaving." And so I did. Now that you bring this up, I have to say it's baffling now that I felt yesterday that I wanted to shave! I could have skipped it, but no. That's really weird.

Shaving really is so pleasant it's almost addictive. ("almost" :biggrin: )

Sorry to hear about the trouble with the Vision and the Feather. Any idea what the problem was? Too aggressive a setting? Bad angle?

I am so old, I had already been shaving a couple of years when the '58 Fatboy first came out. Shaving was like brushing your teeth, just a chore you had to perform every morning. Didn't really give any thought to it one way or another. The idea was to get it over with as quickly as possible. Hence the appeal of the canned aerosol lather and any other time saver. I never really enjoyed shaving until I returned to REAL shaving after decades with electrics and disposables.

Yes there is certainly "zen" one feels when shaving with a DE.
With str8s the "zen" is heightened even more..... why I do not know....

Something to do with the subconscious. I wish Sigman Freud had written about this....

Shaving really is so pleasant it's almost addictive. ("almost" :biggrin: )

Sorry to hear about the trouble with the Vision and the Feather. Any idea what the problem was? Too aggressive a setting? Bad angle?

Maybe too aggressive a setting. Maybe bad angle. To be honest, I'm not sure. Most likely, though, it's unfamiliarity with the Vision.

I've resolved to give the Feather a rest. Just last week I ordered the sampler pack for the first time, after nearly a year of DE shaving. I'm hoping the Derbys or Personnas work well.

I can get a great shave with a Feather; or I can get an awful one. What determines the quality is how "on" I am. How in the zone I am. How much concentration I'm giving to the shave. If I slip up just a little, I'm a gory mess.

The Feather and I have a very volatile relationship. One day I'm BBS with no nicks or cuts, the next day I have stubble all over the place and there's blood all over the sink.

I can get a great shave with a Feather on the weekend, but during the week, I'm always in a hurry to get out the door and that is not a good combination.

I think I'm going to stick to the Merkurs until the sampler pack arrives. I'll work back up to the Feather.

Anyhow in regards to the original subject: I really can't explain why I'm into shaving as I am. It really does strike me as a bizarre hobby.

Imagine if someone was really into vacuuming and they started collecting vacuums and dustbusters, mops, brooms, etc. And they started getting different air fresheners or trying floor polishes. To me, it's similar.

Ooh, tomorrow is Tuesday, I'm gonna use my Dirt Devil and Lemon Scented Glade.

Anyhow in regards to the original subject: I really can't explain why I'm into shaving as I am. It really does strike me as a bizarre hobby.
You're running a sharp piece of metal over your face for ten minutes. Your subconscious screams: this is not natural -- it's dangerous! Your brain kicks in, releasing adrenaline and endorphins, all your attention is focused on the deadly blade about to pierce the skin and slash your jugular. But consciously, you know you're safe, so you are able to enjoy the adrenaline and heightened awareness.

Shaving is like bungee jumping. But it's cheaper and you get to do it every day.

Ooh, tomorrow is Tuesday, I'm gonna use my Dirt Devil and Lemon Scented Glade.
Vacuum cleaning, on the other hand, has nothing in common with bungee jumping. But ironing might come close to the excitement of shaving.

Hmmm, I guess that's possible.

I never even think about the fact that shaving might be dangerous. Maybe because, though DE shaving is more of a challenge, it's still a routine and one I'm familiar enough with that I don't feel like I'm ever going to seriously injure myself...

That extreme ironing thing is hilarious. Someone needs to invent extreme shaving. Who can get the closest shave while test driving a Ferrari?

(This user does not condone shaving while driving. Shave responsibly.)

Top Bottom