What's new

Zoodles?

Anybody else making "noodles" out of zucchini squash? It's apparently all the rage right now.

My wife bought a "spiralizer" made by OXO. She picked it up at Bed, Bath, and Beyond. it's a really nice machine. Stick a zucchini or a summer squash in there and turn the handle. Next thing you know you have squash in the shape of spaghetti noodles.

Last night I made a quick Alfredo sauce and ate it over the zoodles. Really tasty, and, I suppose, better for the body than pasta.

Anyway, I was just curious as to whether I was the only one experimenting with the "spiralizer" and various types of vegetable "noodles."

+100 on the spaghetti squash. Cook, wash, cool. Mix with some hard cheese, olives, pepperoni, mushrooms and an good vinaigrette. A nice chilled white wine and a shady gazebo.

Make 'em all the time, mostly as a side dish. Have started getting into incorporating them into main dishes instead of pasta. Made a delicious Shrimp Scampi last weekend. Put it over some zoodles lightly sauteed with some olive oil, salt and pepper. Made sure to not over cook them, so they'd still be "al dente" even after being plated with the Scampi for a few minutes.

Might try "Zaghetti and Meatballs" this weekend.

I also found a recipe for "Zavioli" that I haven't tried yet. Looks interesting though:

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice.

I, too, like spaghetti squash, but making zoodles is WAY, WAY easier. Takes about 20 seconds, total. They can be eaten just like that, or you can blanch them for about a minute or a minute and a half.

I've heard that some people use thin wide slices of zucchini in place of pasta in lasagna, as well.

By the way, that "zavioli" dish looks interesting, and pretty simple. I may have to give that a try.

Top Bottom