What's new

Yuma, pimped

When ordering blades from bestshave.net some weeks ago I added one of those 2$ Yuma razors to the order, just for curiosity. These razors are non plated pot metal, nothing you want to look at for too much time...

When first putting a blade in I was impressed by the ridiculously huge blade gap. After coming to the conclusion that this could not be true (and before trying to shave) I forced the handle into half a turn further, et voilà!
It turned out to be a well behaving mild shaving tool, yielding a DFS. I was (and still am) impressed, to say the least.

Because I prefer heavier razors over lighter ones I proceeded to mount a threaded rod into the hollow handle. The thread bites nicely into the narrowing end, so that there is no glue needed to keep it firmly in place. With the added weight shaving with the Yuma feels even better now, I'd say it feels like real shaving. When ordering the next batch of blades I added yet another Yuma and then decided to pimp one of them. O well, I actually only polished it a bit.
I guess it's now more worth than 2$. :laugh:

$512762523.jpg

$512762524.jpg

$512762525.jpg

$512762528.jpg

Thanks.

I used 3M Wetordry 240 and 600 grit sanding paper followed by polishing paper of the same brand, 400 to 6000 grit (didn't use 8000 grit here). The polishing paper seems to be smoother than the sanding paper at the same grit number. I have done this during a lengthy phone call. If you would concentrate on this it would take maybe one hour or so. I should have focused a bit more on the sanding, the surfaces are not yet perfect, but when I started I didn't really have an idea how far I would take it.

A pimped out Yuma, that is hilarious. I also added a $2 Yuma to my bestshave order earlier this year and shaved with it a couple of times for laughs and giggles. It is quite aggressive and you have to carefully line up the blade since its not exactly precision made but it is a great whisker hacker.

Too much hassle to lacquer it, I think I just will polish it again if Ia want it to be shiny again. The pictures were taken about 12 hours after polishing. Now, 60 hours after polishing a slight loss of gloss is clearly noticeable.

Yesterday I stumbled upon some interesting pictures. "Soluna - Made in Czechoslovakia":

$BCD.jpg

Has Yuma something else in common with Soluna than this razor model? There seem to be only very few differences.

Last edited:
I didn't even get to shave with mine, it shattered while i was putting it together ...

$Screenshot_2013-09-13-09-57-21-1.jpg

Joe promptly refunded me the exuberant purchase price, after all i got the delux edition with the travel case, so i could travel in style...

I just ordered 4 of these from a different source. I wish I had known about Bestshave before now. I'm going to yard sale them this summer, along with some various other shaving paraphernalia.

Too much hassle to lacquer it, I think I just will polish it again if Ia want it to be shiny again. The pictures were taken about 12 hours after polishing. Now, 60 hours after polishing a slight loss of gloss is clearly noticeable.
Now, more than one year later and after only having it used now and then, my polished Yuma as expected was not very shiny anymore. A one minute rub with a paper cloth (toilet paper does the trick) brought back the luster. To show you the difference I first only polished the right half of the cap while the left half has not received any other treatment than occasional shaving followed by a rinse and a very slight wipe with a soft cotton cloth in order to dry it.

$Yuma_polished_one_half.jpg

Top Bottom