What's new

Your routine

I have been using my DE shaver for a while, along with some nice creams and soaps, but have just recently started to work on my technique and post-shave routine.

I read about witch-hazel, after-shave lotions, splashes, moisturisers etc - and I admit, I'm kinda confused with all the different stuff out there.

I know its a personal thing, but what do you do post shave? What do you use?

I have just been putting some Men-U moisturiser on my face after I have shaved.

Thanks in advance.

That is my post shave routine:

Immediately following my shave I do a cold water rinse, this serves to tighten up the pores and begin to sooth the skin. I pat dry and apply a liberal drench of witch hazel, I love the Thayers wh.

Once the wh has air dried I apply a good balm followed by good moisturizer. The balm is a little thinner than the moisturizer and helps to calm the skin.

You can read a little more about post shave routine here.

By the way welcome to B&B, I missed your comming out post :biggrin:

Last edited:
My routine:

1. Rinse well with cold water
2. Pat dry my face
3. Apply aftershave
4. Apply an unscented aftershave balm

I do a warm rinse,
liberal application of WH,
air dry,
A/S Splash.
(or balm depending of if my skin's dry...for the summer it's almost always a splash, though)

1) thorough rinse with warm water
2) rub wet face with alum block
3) clean brush, bowl, etc.
4) rinse face with cooler water
5) pat dry and splash on aftershave

Rinse with hot water to get the soap residue off, rinse with cold water, apply Nivea Sensitive Skin ASB, follow with whatever fragrance after shave I feel like that day. I'm currently rotating between Original Mennen Skin Bracer, Original Old Spice, and Aqua Velva Ice Blue...

im going to get me some Proraso Liquid Aftershave Balm - would i use an Aftershave splash before or after the balm??

Fill sink with hot water and place bowl and brush in sink
Shower
Take bowl out of sink, dumping water put cream in and start mixing
Lather
WTG
Relather
XTG
Relather
ATG
WWR
Clean up Bowl,brush,etc..
CWR
Pat dry face
Apply A/S
Go to work

I thoroughly rinse with warm water, then liberally apply Thayer's lavender witch hazel and allow to air dry. Then I rinse with cold water to close the pores. I then lightly pat with a towel but don't really dry my face, and let it air dry. Then I apply after shave (usually Musgo Real, or Proraso splash). Always feels great, and the Thayer's scent is always gone by the time I'm ready to apply the after shave.

1. warm rinse after last pass
2. blot dry face with towel
3. apply Thayers Witch Hazel
4. clean up shave area
5. apply alcohol based A/S splash
6. #5 is the last step in the spring/summer. In the fall/winter I apply a dime sized amount of lotion in order to moisturize.

EDIT: welcome to B&B!

My Routine Post-Shave:

1.) Cold Water Rinse
2.) Pick today's aftershave and place a small amount in hand
3.) Take Dickinson's WH and fill the rest of my hand
4.) Pat to apply mix to face
5.) Flollow up with Trumper's Skin Food
6.) Wait for face to dry completely then apply Jack Black Moisturizer w/SPF

*Note I do not dry my face at any time in the process. I just let excess moisture evaporate.

**I mix aftershaves with WH because I generally enjoy the fragrance of many aftershaves but not the burn I would get if I used them alone. Occasionally I'll use a sented WH like Lucky Tiger and then do not add any other afteshave.

After the shave:
  1. Hot water rinse → warm water rinse → cold water rinse
  2. Towel dry (pat sometimes buy mostly I just rub it)
  3. Apply aftershave liberally (occasionally I'll mix some 444 in with it but not all the time)
  4. Faceturbate

I like keeping it simple.

- Following my final shaving strokes, I rinse with warm water to remove whatever lather remnants are still there.

- I switch to cold water because I like the way it feels.

- I pat my face dry with a cotton hand towel I use only for that purpose - not the hand towel I use at other times.

- I splash on an aftershave, currently Harris Pink.

That's it.

Hot Water - Brush soak
Create watery lather on face
Hot Towel - replace once when cooled
Hot Water Splash
WTG/ATG/ATG
Wash face w/soap
ASB

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
* warm water rinse to remove all the lather residues
* sometimes I use an alum block (I wet it under cold water and rub on) - followed by a cold water rinse
* or witch hazel splash (the more common)
* pat dry
* apply skin food or an after shave balm
* Cologne/EdT

Top Bottom