What's new

Will a shot of scotch before bed and not brushing rot my teeth?

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
So I had a dram of Hibiki, drank half, went through my night routine which includes brushing my teeth, and saw the half shot of scotch on my bedside table. Now Hibiki tastes very sweet to me, and I assumed it was because of the sugars in it. After some googling I found the Hibiki nutritional info page, and there are zero carbs in it.

So what makes it taste so sweet? If it’s some chemical compound that isn’t sugar it would seem to point towards scotch being a tooth friendly beverage, discounting the effects alcohol has on enamel.

Any insights?

So I had a dram of Hibiki, drank half, went through my night routine which includes brushing my teeth, and saw the half shot of scotch on my bedside table. Now Hibiki tastes very sweet to me, and I assumed it was because of the sugars in it. After some googling I found the Hibiki nutritional info page, and there are zero carbs in it.

So what makes it taste so sweet? If it’s some chemical compound that isn’t sugar it would seem to point towards scotch being a tooth friendly beverage, discounting the effects alcohol has on enamel.

Any insights?
The only sugars - if you stretch that definition - could be the E150 coloring agent which is used on many mainstream Whiskies to achieve a consumer friendly color and unified shelf display.

Any other notes come from the wood of the barrel itself and traces of the previously stored liquids in them.

Long story short I wouldn’t worry about the overall minuscule sugar content (0.1 gram per 100ml) as the alcohol has enough calories by itself.

Nutritional labels report various components in grams, rounded to the nearest gram. If something contains 0.4999 grams of carbs, it will be rounded down to 0 grams.

Distilled alcohols are not considered to be carbohydrates, although they certainly do contribute calories. Whiskey (or Whisky), gin, tequila, rum, brandy, Cognac, and vodka contain no carbs. However, many liqueurs are sweetened with significant amounts of sugar. Most mixed cocktails also contain sugar. A dry wine has very little sugar, whereas some sweeter wines do. While lite or light beers have very little carbs, some darker beers can have a lot.

If you look at many mouthwash products, many will contain ethyl alcohol as an antiseptic. They may also contain sugar alcohols like sorbital and xylitol that give the mouthwash a sweet taste without actually containing sugar. The sugar alcohols are used as they do not promote tooth decay.

The short answer to your questions is that a small amount of whisky should not promote tooth decay.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Nah, just a few brain cells.*

*Not a scientifically sound response and purely for entertainment purposes. Please consult your dental hygienist for useful information. 🙂
Post of the day award nominee *

*Ymmv of course and this is not to imply that other posts of a similar nature are not worthy or meaningful.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Comes a point in life and I'm there now when having a snort before bed leads to a somewhat restless night. Even just one night in the week and I will spend that night sleeping very lightly and waking up often. Also, weird dreams. Anytime before supper seems fine.

O.H.

Top Bottom