What's new

which last longer Single or D/E Blades

I have just used a Gem 1912 for the last four shaves. The angle is different, almost placing the head against the skin, that deep an angle. The whole thing about D/E shaving was the money saved, it seems as if this is more exspensive and less choice in products. In the end does a Single edge last longer or the same, about four shaves.

All other things being equal, like sharpness of blade, angle held, and aggressiveness of the razor (fewer passes) - a DE should last twice as long as a SE.
But good luck getting any of these things to be equal between a DE and SE. Your mileage WILL vary.

R

rainman

Lets say that a DE blade and SE blade go four shaves. I got some good DE blades for 10 cents a blade and the good SE blades costs 30 cents a blade.
For the cost, I would need 12 SE shaves to break even.

Duration of effectiveness is about equal for me. I normally use one DE blade for 5-7 shaves and one SE blade for 5-7 shaves though DE's can be had cheaper so I suppose that makes them the better choice (financially speaking).

I find SE blades last longer for me. I usually toss DEs after 3, but I've had SEs go 5 or even 6. Again, depending on blade, razor, and technique, your mileage will definitely vary.

SE blades last longer for me as well. I can get 8-10 great shaves from a SE blade before I think about ditching it. A DE blade will typically last me at most 5 or 6 shaves depending on the blade.

DL

I have started SE shaving a few weeks ago and my first impressions make me believe SE and DE blades have more or less the same life span. I get 4 days of use from most DE blades (except for Bleue Extra that give me easily 5) and 4-5 from Gem PTFE coated SE blades.

I get about the same amount of shaves between the SE and DE blades. I tend to use SE's because of the quality of the shave that I get from the SE razors. I tend to have much less razor burn with the SE's and the shave is much closer with less work than I normally get with a DE. (note there are exceptions to this rule. My new delux being one of them. :001_rolle )
So for me it comes down to the type of shave I get, and the price difference in blades isn't all that great for me. A pack of SE blades is still a heck of a lot cheaper than cartridges. :w00t:

Duration of effectiveness is about equal for me. I normally use one DE blade for 5-7 shaves and one SE blade for 5-7 shaves though DE's can be had cheaper so I suppose that makes them the better choice (financially speaking).

My experience mirrors this, but obviously and as can be seen, YMMV. Some do get twice the life out of the SE. Still, from a pure economics point of view, the DE's, with the bargains available on the 'net, seem a "better buy". Either way, I'm happy not to be paying M3 cart. prices, and more importantly, to be enjoying my daily shave ritual :thumbup1:.

has anyone ever attempted stropping an SE blade?:001_huh:

I have hand stropped before and have gotten 12+ shaves out of a single blade. I don't do it anymore. It just doesn't seem worth the effort to get a few more shave out of a blade. It seems to work really well though.

DL

has anyone ever attempted stropping an SE blade?:001_huh:

Use the heel of your hand, below the pinky. Strop away from the thumb, blade edge trailing, lightly 3-4 times, with one time being once on each side. Re-insert blade and shave.

Dry the blade after use - especially if it's carbon steel (PAL, Treet) rather than Stainless (Pella).

There are vintage stropping machines available as well.

SE blades last longer for me as well. I can get 8-10 great shaves from a SE blade before I think about ditching it. A DE blade will typically last me at most 5 or 6 shaves depending on the blade.

DL

That's about my experience. I can get 7 - 10 very fine shaves from a SE. I get no more than 5 or 6 from any DE blade I've tried, and I've tried many.

Not a new point, but I'm saving my SE blades after I'm done shaving with them. Still good for use in my scraper and for some craft uses, although I don't need a lot for that. So I should get more total use out of them.

As was said before it depends who is using what. SE blades are made thicker and heavier. The stainless last much long then the carbons. It comes down to which provides the closest,smoothest and irritation free shave. After years of searching I think its the SE:thumbup1:

I don't use Gems, but my injector blades last a lot longer than DE blades. I can easily get 6 good shaves out of an injector but I'm lucky to get 4 from a DE (usually only 3).

I usually find that if I don't shave, I can get both S/E and D/E blades to last for years.

Otherwise only 2 to 4 shaves on a D/E in a Gillette or Merkur
3 to 6 on an S/E in a Gem

Top Bottom