What's new

What's your Favorite .22LR

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
A Vudoo was in the crowd of shooters I shot against tonight.
Not exactly benchrest rimfires (but I think they make a single shot action for F-Class/BR) but a local range, Rimfire Ridge, is fixing to start up for the season. I'm going to give it a try as it sounds like a good time! Fred Sears owns and runs the place. Perhaps you've heard of him?

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
Never heard of Fred Sears.

We have 2 or 3 Vudoos that compete on a regular basis. All of them are in some kinda chassis or another and are repeaters. They do ok.
So Fred is an Arkie local that has a really nice range at his place in Owensville, AR. He has won the ARA Nationals, is in the IR50/50 hall of fame, and has a few world records under his belt. Hoping I can learn a thing or 6 from him!

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
So Fred is an Arkie local that has a really nice range at his place in Owensville, AR. He has won the ARA Nationals, is in the IR50/50 hall of fame, and has a few world records under his belt. Hoping I can learn a thing or 6 from him!
Humility.

That's the beauty of our unlimited matches....No rules....You might see a vintage Winchester 52, beside a custom action, like a Turbo, in a mechanical front rest, beside a chassis PRS gun. Never ever do we have one guy that dominates night after night, month after month, year after year.

Oddly enough I do not (never have) owned a .22 handgun. I really need to fix that some day. Single action Ruger would fit the bill well.
I do have a couple .22 rifles. Ruger 10/22 and a Henry lever. I do like the Henry a lot but both are wonderful rifles.

The rifle I learned to shoot on is probably the most common rifle kids were taught to use--the Ruger 10/22! It's also the first rifle I bought for myself.

But my favorite 22 is the Ruger Single 6. I love the single action process of cocking the gun before each shot. And bonus--it comes with 2 cylinders (one for 22LR and one for 22 Mag). I mostly shoot the 22LR because boxes of that are so cheap. But I've run through some of the 22 Mag and I think it's hilarious how loud they are and they almost shoot flames from the barrel. Shoot those suckers at the range and people think you're firing something way bigger than it is.

Ive been a busy bee! My recent 22 acquisitions! Unfortunately, I had bad luck with all three lol The LCP was missing a magazine, didn't realize it until I left the store. Gunshop had to do a video review to make sure I wasn't lying. that was awkward. They confirmed and gave me a mag off the shelf. Great gun, runs like a top! The Charger came with no extractor, Ruger is mailing me those parts at the moment. I have a few 10/22 so I just swapped the bolts. Fun little gun, accurate for what it is! Then the Smith 43C......well, the head spacing was off so I had to do a little filing to get it to properly index different brands of ammo. Apparently, some rims are thicker than others or something. Other than that, very cool little snubby! All pictured on a makeshift shooting bench I made out of an aluminum cart. Works great!
20240316_112634.jpg

20240330_181142.jpg

Top Bottom