What's new

What’s a fair price for an “original” (40s-60s) Tech in a decent condition?

I like the tech clones, guess it’s time to get a “real deal”. What price range is reasonable? I’ll be looking for a razor in a decent enough condition (not pristine but with little pitting and wear), with a regular length handle. I see ansking prices anywhere between $20 and $60+ in various conditions.

Also, is there a time frame where they were known to be better (smoother) ?

I see a lot of them running $13-$15 in the antique shops that I frequent. (As a matter of fact the Adjustables run about the same.) As numerous as the razors are around here, I've never bought any online.

As I recall the "Post-war" version is milder than the "Pre-war."

IMG_5501.jpeg
My accumulation.

IMG_5503.jpeg
Pre-war bottom plate with "triangular" drain holes, (left,) Post-war with "oval."

IMG_5504.jpeg
Top caps. Single bar/rail, or double, I've seen them mixed and matched on the Pre-war/Post-war razors.

IMG_5506.jpeg

The bottom plate is flatter on the Pre-war, (left,) compared to the more curved Post-war.

Last edited:
$5 to 15 in vintage joints around here (Pacific NW). Very easily found. Of course some are priced high.

I just replaced a pre-war for $10. I like the fat handles better than the solid ball end handles. I have never noticed any big differences in shaving qualities. I like my English Flat Bottom just for the slightly heftier feel to the head.

I have generally paid in the $8-15 range, which included shipping. My favorites are a Canadian pre-war in nickel and USA no-date-code post-war (pre-1951) in gold. They are user grade, no obvious damage with intact plating. Techs are one of the most plentiful vintage razors out there.

I have come to like the lighter weight handles, so I will usually use a replica Gillette Common Bar handle. I've also got a Bakelite handle. This gives a very maneuverable feel.

Top Bottom