What's new

What YouTubers’ lathering method resembles yours?

The closest would be DrMatt357. Quick and done.

I don’t have time or patience to keep swirling for 5 minutes.

But I won’t shave with painted over dry paste thinking it’s a proper lather.

Yes, YouTube is great for extremes, both ends of the spectrum.

None. But, years ago I watched a few YT videos on shaving to see how other people are doing it, and I quit watching after YT shaving stars warn against beginners' mistake buffing on unprotected naked skin, and a bit later during the shave once a lather is removed from a portion of their face they proceed with multiple buffing passes on their unprotected skin, including a very well known and highly regarded YT "authority" on shaving. Ie, don't shave like this, and then he does exactly that.

I did watch a lot of YT shaving when I first got into traditional wetshaving as a hobby. As for lathering, I gradually got enough confidence to stand on my own feet, and ditch the concept of a "method" of loading/lathering.
There is YOU -- and there is the BRUSH, and there is the SOAP ... .
From there, do whatever you want, screw "method". ...! Period.
I generally find that I like lather thinner than most of the YT "gurus" would have it. What matters is slickness (and soaps differ in slickness). In this regard, thin lather is GOOD. And remember, you can always reload between passes, or whenever you feel a need.
The general point here is "ride the horse, don't let the horse ride with you". Find and trust your own way.

I apply cream by dabbing followed by brushing against the grain. The idea is that that ensures full coverage and there aren't any places I miss that I can't see. I envision at a magnified level shaving cream not getting applied on the back side of the whisker if I just brush on just with the grain. I don't do multiple passes but that's kind of where the idea comes from.

Top Bottom