What's new

What pipe do you prefer?

I don't mean to be crass, I'm truly curious, but why are Dunhill pipes so damn expensive? It's not like the have 1 or 2 pipes over a grand, there are a number of them.

Like I said, curious if someone has the time and inclination to explain.

I don't mean to be crass, I'm truly curious, but why are Dunhill pipes so damn expensive? It's not like the have 1 or 2 pipes over a grand, there are a number of them.

Like I said, curious if someone has the time and inclination to explain.

Like anything, you're paying for a name. The director of the main Dunhill shop explained to me once that the special-edition pipes are really what keep the production afloat. Many decades ago, Dunhill's briar was outstanding. It dropped off for a long while, and is supposedly pretty good again. And believe me, there are plenty of pipes that cost more than a couple grand. Look into anything by the late Bo Nordh, for example.

At the end of the day, Dunhill pipes are copies of each other. If you want a somewhat unique, one-off Dunhill, you can do so fairly resonably by finding a model marked Quaint.

Dunhill pipes are dandy, but you can do better, especially for the price.

Smokingpipes.com is a wonderful place to do business. You can pick an inexpensive Peterson, Stanwell, etc. for very little money.

Thanks gents! I appreciate the links.

It's always hard to use relative terms on a MB without going into a lengthy definition of what the heck you mean by said term. :wink:

Reasonable would be something akin to "sure you can buy x brand pipe for $$$$ and it will smoke great, but there is also brand y pipe for $$$ and it will smoke just as well". Or maybe another way to look at is that there must be a baseline price for a quality, decent smoking, nice in hand pipe, what is that baseline pipe price?

Hopefully that narrows it down a bit. :)

Thanks gents! I appreciate the links.

It's always hard to use relative terms on a MB without going into a lengthy definition of what the heck you mean by said term. :wink:

Reasonable would be something akin to "sure you can buy x brand pipe for $$$$ and it will smoke great, but there is also brand y pipe for $$$ and it will smoke just as well". Or maybe another way to look at is that there must be a baseline price for a quality, decent smoking, nice in hand pipe, what is that baseline pipe price?

Hopefully that narrows it down a bit. :)

I would say petersons, comoys, BC, Jirsa,parker, savinelli, and stanwell all have great pipes and you can find many for about 50.00 - 100.00.

Top Bottom