What's new

What Green Coffee did you Buy or Roast Today?

I roasted a blend of a Flores Manggaraian Wae Rebo + Ethiopia Dry Process Wollenga Leka Wato to a nice C+ last night. It turned out to be a tasty twist on the classic Mokha Java blend.

My last roast was 2 lbs of Ugandan Sipi Falls co-op and 1 lb of Peruvian Succhia.

Going through my "odd ball beans". These are good coffees but not ones I will purchase again. I think I will roast some Sumatran and blend both of these in with that roast. The Ugandan is a very bold tasting coffee and would lend itself well with an earthy bean like a Sumatran. The Peruvian is nice but I enjoy the Colombian and Costa Rica coffees a bit more to get another batch of Peruvian.

Ugandan roast:

proxy.php

Peruvian roast:

proxy.php

View attachment 673002
First roast ever tonight

Picked up a used Behmor (old control panel) on craigslist this week, and had a delivery from Sweet Maria's waiting for me when I got home (full list in the acquisition thread).

This is Sumatra Mandheling - Aceh Triple Pack from them. Roast into the first signs of second crack. Looking forward to trying it Thursday morning!

Was hoping to do 3# but it got dark then thunder then KAPOW.... BOOM...... ZAP..... then lots of rain. Got everything put away before the water works started but had to cut short roasting outside.

so only 2 pounds :sad:

1 lb of Mexican El Huizache honey processed

1 lb of Sumatran Ketiara co-op (an all female owned, harvested, processed, operated and run cooperative. Very unusual for Sumatra). http://www.ketiara.com/ Very unusual for any coffee cooperative no matter where it would be located

First roast ever tonight

Picked up a used Behmor (old control panel) on craigslist this week, and had a delivery from Sweet Maria's waiting for me when I got home (full list in the acquisition thread).

This is Sumatra Mandheling - Aceh Triple Pack from them. Roast into the first signs of second crack. Looking forward to trying it Thursday morning!

Roast #2 in the books:
Tanzania Tarime Town Peaberry (8oz) roasted just shy of 2nd crack.

Kenya or Tanzanian pea-berries are my favorite "south of the horn" African beans.

For Sumatran/Indonesian I have really been getting into the Ketiara co-op I mentioned earlier. I find that the sack to sack consistency is tighter with that cooperative than with the other Indonesian suppliers.

What are your thoughts (first roast of each understood)?

What are your thoughts (first roast of each understood)?

The Sumatra is very interesting and a different flavor profile than other Sumatran coffees I have had before (perhaps I just had not tried Sumatran coffee that is not roast to just south of charcoal?) Fruity and cocoa flavors that really surprised me. I prefer the Peaberry so far.

Roasted 2 # of Sulawesi and 1 # of Peru

The Indonesian has a distinctive hazelnut taste. Maybe because it was just roasted. Bloom almost over topped the Chemex.

Roasting profile is on the other laptop :sad:

Roasted some Brazil Oberon and Honduras Royal Reserva. The Honduras was very fragrant when green.

It was very hot in the late afternoon. Didn't preheat the Behmor very much and I was a little surprised by how much that extended the roast time to make up the difference. Meaning I should stick to the same routine when roasting at 95+F as 70F.

I got in some beans from Yemen a few days ago.

I am dying to try them but I have a large quantity of other African coffee I need to get roasted.

We'll see if I can hold out..... I am still enjoying the Sulawesi from the last roast and may just roast another 3# of that bean

Gotta roast again in 2 to 3 days.... No other option.

I am getting down to what I feel is a manageable level of un-roasted coffee. With this last #8 purchase I still have under 50# here now.

Been roasting 3# at a time. Roasting that much at a time puts a fair dent in things

Just finished roast #4: Brazil Fazenda Santa Lucia Yellow Bourbon from Sweet Maria's. Roasted to Vienna.

I roasted some Brizlian a few months ago to a darker than normal and it tasted more like hot choloate than coffee. Very odd experence. I filed the profile away and will see if I can duplicate it next time I bring that origine back out.

I roasted some Brizlian a few months ago to a darker than normal and it tasted more like hot choloate than coffee. Very odd experence. I filed the profile away and will see if I can duplicate it next time I bring that origine back out.

Yeah, it will be interesting to see how this turned out. Vienna is the top end of the suggested roast range for this one. Due to Behmor not being ideal for dark roasts (this is the first time I have taken it into the second crack), this one is a bit more inconsistent and almost looks like a blend of two different roast levels.

this one is a bit more inconsistent and almost looks like a blend of two different roast levels.

I've noticed that on the Behmor I put back together to a 1600+

Beans are sometimes a different colors in the roast.

Not sure why as everything appears to be working as it should.

Top Bottom