What's new

Waffle Maker Advice

so my wife went to bedbathandbeyond last week...tried one of those thin waffle makers trying to make some thin waffles..nope..made em into almost cookie like things...no luck here in making waffles..oh well...will bring it back for exchange on something else..I watched a great video on youtube about waffle makers..1 was regarding waring pro electric version..electric?..I thought to myself..hell that reminds me of my electric shaver I use every once in a "blue moon" sorta thing..gimme something ancient..like my straight razors! I thought again to myself..then I saw a cast iron waffle maker..one guy has his from the 1920's...though I was a bit concerned that it would get REALLY hot and heavy in weight as well which my wife didnt want...cooking didnt look very even on the cast iron waffle maker..we just might give into an electric one though. :001_smile pricing from $40-$50...thoughts/suggestions...I was thinking of this one from BBB
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0049SHD7C?tag=wedding-jewelry-sets-20

SmallTank

Last edited:
chef alton brown did a show on these. His pick was a model that had better heating elements,and better placement of same for the best results..

Attachments

• $zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzjhyfr.jp
    $zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzjhyfr.jp
    49.5 KB · Views: 48
Hi
Now I'm very aware that some folks really need the convenience of a non-stick, plug-in made-in-china waffle iron, and I'm really at peace with that fact. I also know that maybe over 90% of the shaving-aged males in North America use canned foam and throw-away. plastic over priced multi-blade cartridges, and I guess that's ok, too. I'm hoping though that here at B&B there is a different type of man, the kind who appreciates a well-made product. Someone who doesn't mind taking a little extra time to appreciate the process.
This is not my iron. Or should I say this is not a waffle iron from my collection (I have three just like it,one tall square, four short round ones and two square--all ready--and four or five in restore mode.) I am almost as evangelistic about cast iron waffle irons as I feel I can be around shaving. Here's what I'm talking about...

proxy.php

They come tall and short, mostly round but some square. The were popular around the same times as straight razors were the norm, and in my opinion are equally honorable. They're well-made, and we're able to kick out fantastic waffles for as many people as we need (for visiting family we've had three on the stove at once!) Just like collecting razors eBay is your friend. Do a search for "cast iron waffle" and enjoy the results. Many are available shave-ready... sorry, I mean stove-ready, and have been well-cared for for generations.
If you use a Pam-type spray, and develop a good seasoning on your cast iron over time they will perform fantastically.

Enjoy.
KP

Last edited:
I have one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Romes-1100-Fa...1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1321033563&sr=1-1

it is made in China but has served me well. I also have an old Waring electric (not pro, made before there was such a thing) that serves well, but it is nonstick coated, so I don't like to use it.

The Rome cast iron takes a bit of time to get the technique down, I use 2 burners and heat both halves at the same time, once hot, I pour it in one half, and then put it together and close it, cook on one side for a a min or 2 and flip and cook till done to your taste. Just make sure you clean it well, I soaked it in dishwasher detergent overnight and scrubbed with a stiff brush, and I would suggest doing the initial seasoning in the BBQ outside as it smoked a lot. I am not sure what it is that they coat it with at the factory but it is nasty.

Top Bottom