What's new

Trying SE

Long story short I used a DE for a year, have been using a Straight for about 4 months, and decided to try SEs just for fun. No trouble with the other two, I love the shaves from both, I just like trying new things.

So what it boils down to is... I don't know anything about the razors, blades, technique, anything. Mainly what I am interested in knowing is... Are these any good?

Here are my new razors...

Thanks guys (and potentially gals)
Drew

A Push Button and a G-bar. I own one of each but have never shaved with them. I assume they are similiar to a 1912 in terms of the head. I bet they will be great shavers for you!

DL

I also have both and they give great shaves. Use the Gem stainless blades available at Walgreens for excellent results. Nice haul:thumbup1:

I assume they are similiar to a 1912 in terms of the head. I bet they will be great shavers for you!

DL

I would say the head is vastly different between these, and a 1912. The 1912 has a hybrid head, that is sort of a cross between an open comb, and a closed safety bar. The Gem G Bar has a true closed safety bar, similar to the type you would find on a Gillette Tech.

I have a G Bar, and it shaves great. :thumbup1: I also own a 1912, and a Bullet Tip Micromatic. All three are phenomenal razors.

The push button and Heavy Flat Top ("g-bar" as the collectors like to call it:wink:) are essentially the same head with a different way to open the top, and different handle. The Featherweight can also be added to that list. The shave is nearly identical. No matter the handle, or method of opening, they fall to the bottom of my most preferred GEM list. Slot #1 goes to the Micromatic line, the open comb is at the top of that sub-list. Second is the 1912 varieties. Having said that, I'd still prefer a Push-Button to many if the DE razors I own. Also worth noting, the G-Bar (or Heavy Flat Top as GEM called it:wink:) is consitered by many to be the best of the bunch, so I guess it's true that the only way to know what works best for you is to give them all a try.

The Personna Gem stainless blades can be bought at Walgreens. Coated stainless which are the best can be bought at Ted Peller but they sell them in a 200 blade count only. You can go online and buy them in a lesser quantity but they cost more per blade.

michiganlover, are you using the Gem Personnas in yours?

Nope, currently I am using Ted Pella's with mine, that I got from Bullgoose when he used to sell them in small lots. I have tried a few Gem Personnas, though, and found them to also be very good. :tongue_sm

I have too many razors, so my SE razors don't see enough play time. :blushing:

Top Bottom