What's new

Trac II question

I have been doing some traveling lately. I generally travel carry-on which means my fatboys stay at home. Took my M3 last time, but alas ran out of carts, and not about to take out a 2nd mortgage to buy more :angry: So I picked up a Wallyworld Trac II (aka, Bumpfighter) and a 10 pack of Personna carts (10 for $3.49, cheaper than feathers!). My question is how many shaves should I expect per cart. With DE's I am a 3 and out kinda guy, same for these Trac IIs?

I can usually get about five good shaves from a Gilette Trac II Plus cartridge before I have to toss it. I haven't tried the Personna carts yet.

I had been changing my Personna Trac II cart on the same day of the week each week and had not noticed any major degradation in shaveability (I shave every day, but I have a relatively fine beard compared to most). As an experiment, I recently decided to see how long I could use a single T II cart and found that somewhere between 8-10 comfortable 3-pass shaves is what I get. As usual, YMMV - but remember that before I "downgraded" to the Personna Trac II I was using a single M3 cart for a whole month before switching it out, so that should give you some idea of both my beard and my frugality!

After my experiment, I figured that since the Personna carts are only $0.35 each at Walmart I'd just go on switching them out weekly - it's simply easier for me to remember when to change them that way. Perhaps I'm not getting every shave possible out of them, but at $0.35 for a week's worth of shaves it's still a bargain compared to either the M3 or Fusion, and rivals a DE in per shave costs.

Wow, you guys are putting those carts to the test. I don't like em after only 3 or so... Then again, I'm not a fan anything not DE anymore.

When I use my atra or trac-II I find I can get 5-6 shaves out of a cartridge. Fusion on the other hand I'm lucky to get 3 shaves. I just cant see any reason why you need anymore than two blades on a cartridge, five is overkill and very irritating to my face.

Clayton

Wow, you guys are putting those carts to the test. I don't like em after only 3 or so... Then again, I'm not a fan anything not DE anymore.

I think it's easy to psych yourself out. I can have a slightly off shave at any point and if it's after 3 or 4 shaves, attribute it to blade wear. But if I go ahead and use it the next day there seems to be an even chance of having a very nice shave. I think this happens a lot with all blades.

- Chris

No difference between the Gillette and Personna twin-blades: maybe three shaves out of each. The twins are definitely less irritating than the other multi's but don't seem to shave as close. Fair trade-off.

I was getting about ten days to two weeks out of one Personna cart. But I have a mustache and a goatee and I generally get more than average out of a DE too (6 days of 4 pass shaves on average).

Top Bottom