What's new

Tools of the trade

I am just getting into straight razor shaving and have bought a few straights and have sent one away for restore to another member from here (he has sent me pics and it looks AMAZING) but I am a carpenter and like to work with my hands. I want to try a restore myself but need some guidance on what tools I need to do it properly. now i did say I like to work with my hands BUT I have A.D.D and get bored very easily so handing sanding is not an option lol..

It's boring, but hand sand a few first. Lets you see what you have to do without a power tool that can kill a razor in milliseconds.

Else maybe look at a tumbler, you just chuck them in there and it polishes them up (but does nothing for pitting)

While power tools aren't necessary, they do make the job so much easier. If you're a carpenter you might have most of the things you need already.

Tools in my shop are:

For the steel:

- Variable speed tabletop buffer with various sanding and polishing compounds.

For the scales:

- Scroll saw
- Table top belt sander
- Drill press
- Various hand grit sandpaper.

Since you're a carpenter, you may already own a Fein MultiMaster... if you do, the sanding attachments are the single best thing I've used for razor restorations, makes sanding them quick, easy and safe for both you and the blade.
(I've noticed that there are a couple cheaper versions available from Dremel and Rockwell now too)
Note: the attachment shown isn't the one that works best; they have a couple that have a nice radius that sits well in the belly of the blade and accepts regular sand paper cut to fit.

Last edited:
I'm cleaning one up at the moment - I haven't got to the sanding stage but a dremel with a few buffing wheels (I've literally burnt through several in an hour) and some polishing/buffing paste seems to work well. I'll still need to do some hand sanding but it has cleaned a LOT of the crap off the blade

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Since you're a carpenter, you may already own a Fein MultiMaster... if you do, the sanding attachments are the single best thing I've used for razor restorations, makes sanding them quick, easy and safe for both you and the blade.
(I've noticed that there are a couple cheaper versions available from Dremel and Rockwell now too)
Note: the attachment shown isn't the one that works best; they have a couple that have a nice radius that sits well in the belly of the blade and accepts regular sand paper cut to fit.

You are a genius! It never occurred to me to use the Fein...one track minded with the dremel I guess.

interesting, i have one of these and never even thought of using it... can you explain a bit more? are you using a jig for the blade to sit in? since it's oscillating, the edge isn't as vulnerable as to a rotary tool?

I did my first couple razors by hand, then I actually bought a dremel, and after fighting with it for a blade, it dawned on me that the Fein tool would work a charm, which is good because it means I've finaly found a use for those sanding attachments.
I lay a rag onto my little magnetic sanding jig before i put the blade on it and load up the widest radius sanding attachment with different grits up to 2000, and sand away. Not only is it impossible to grab the edge with this tool since it doesn't rotate, it allows for the use of water during sanding so there is absolutely no worry about over-heating and ruining the temper. The jig is nice, but the tool also allows for hand holding while sanding which works really well for the spine and tang. It really (and I mean really) speeds the process up over hand sanding, and works waaayyyy better than a dremel, but it's not going to be as fast as using a buffer.

edit:
I should add that I've also been able to very effectively re-produce a matt finish with original appearance "factory grinding marks" by carefully using a consistent motion with a fairly rough grit of paper (1000 or 1200 grit IIRC)

Last edited:
I would like to see a photo the tools that you use on the Fein. H-F has a similar one usually on special pricing.
Respectfully
~Richard

I can make a pair of scales in about an hour or two without a belt sander. Even when I do use my belt sander I only save maybe 30 minutes as I can only get a rough shape from the sander. I usually spend more time finishing them (lots of thin coats with CA glue).

Top Bottom