What's new

Tiny halibut rescue while Beachcombing.

We were out on North Beach looking for agates. There's been some pretty big tides lately, so there's been some pretty cool rocks out. Plus the Tonga underwater volcano eruption created more and they're starting to wash up too I think.

The 9 year old spotted a little halibut way up the beach. Not much larger than my palm.

We thought it was dead but when the kid touched it, it started flapping around.

I figured, why not see if it'll survive.

So I picked it up and took it out onto the surf.

After putting it in the water, it started flopping around like crazy. Didn't know what was happening, but it turned out that it was burying itself in the sand. All the was left was it's eyes sticking out.

It was a rather interesting experience.

IMG_20230131_193505.jpg

We were out on North Beach looking for agates. There's been some pretty big tides lately, so there's been some pretty cool rocks out. Plus the Tonga underwater volcano eruption created more and they're starting to wash up too I think.

The 9 year old spotted a little halibut way up the beach. Not much larger than my palm.

We thought it was dead but when the kid touched it, it started flapping around.

I figured, why not see if it'll survive.

So I picked it up and took it out onto the surf.

After putting it in the water, it started flopping around like crazy. Didn't know what was happening, but it turned out that it was burying itself in the sand. All the was left was it's eyes sticking out.

It was a rather interesting experience.

View attachment 1598349
Kudos to you.

Reminds me of an incident about 15 years ago when walking around the tide pools at Honaunau (the Place of Refuge) on the Big Island, I saw a sergeant major looking in distress in an appropriately 2 foot square, very warm, almost hot tide pool. I scooped it up and dropped it in the ocean. I like to think it did well.

Top Bottom