What's new

Thing of trying CroOx on my VB latigo webbing...

Searched BB as well as SRP and I think I saw one thread where a poster at SRP said VB (and SRD) synthetic webbing second strops are good with CroOx. On BB, I found a couple of threads talking about pasting these...but nothing definitive about performance.

Anybody have any (updated) thoughts on how these "synthetic webbing" strops work with CroOx as finishers?

The one SRP thread suggested that they work well because the grooves hold the CroOx paste better....

Last edited:
And I should have titled this more properly...it should have said "Thinking of trying a synthetic strop with CroOx....."

Thats what I get for typing with a kid in my arms.

I'm a boob

I don't know about use with chrox, but synth webbing strops that aren't charged are just aggressive forms of linen in my experience. IE they do the same job faster, but they are a little less forgiving if the razor slips or something like that. I'd imagine this would come through with chrox as well... IE more chrox in contact than on a charged linen strop so it does it's thing in a few fewer strokes... but that's a guess.

Ian,

Interesting...so you think synthetic webbing is just AS aggressive by itself as Chromium Oxide paste?

Wow...wouldn't have thought that!

I would suggest a different direction. If you feel CrO would be helpful (depends on your honing skills off of naturals or synthetic hones), I suggest your consider a balsa bench strop pasted with Cr0. Use this only when necessary. For you daily shave, use unpasted linen or web followed by your normal leather hanging strop.

I have tried a pasted leather bench strop in the past. Balsa is much more effective. If interested, you can either make one yourself or order from Ray for $16 at

http://shop.straightrazorsharp.com/Hard-Balsa-Strop-Coated-with-Chromium-Oxide-0210.htm

Top Bottom