What's new

The ultimate office pen. Parker 51 or Pilot Vanishing Point

Lamy 2000 guys love that pen because they haven't tried the Pilot Heritage Custom 92 ...

:whistling:

Or, they have tried it (I know I have), but much prefer the solid construction of the L2k over the plasticky feel of the 92 and the Bauhaus chic of the Lamy over the bland, generic look of the 92. As always, MMV :p

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Or, they have tried it (I know I have), but much prefer the solid construction of the L2k over the plasticky feel of the 92 and the Bauhaus chic of the Lamy over the bland, generic look of the 92. As always, MMV :p
1644715941215.png

Does the pencil take the 0.9mm lead, Bruce?
Yup. I'm not a big pencil guy, but am starting I enjoy them (because of below). I mainly use 2mm lead holders and clutch type in my woodshop.

It's funny, just after I started getting back into FP's, our 16y old son started gaining an interest in mechanical pencils. He's got a small vintage collection (from 2 grandpa's and a flee market pickup a few weeks ago), as well as a few nice moderns ones. Next up for him is a Rotring 600 0.5.

He'll likely get the Parker 51 pencil, once it's established he is going to keep at it. He confiscated a wood cigar box I had razors in and we made a leather lined tray for them last week.

PXL_20220213_031445776.jpg

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
I was thinking that its more that I don't really care to be called into my boss' office to explain why there's a crack pipe on my desk.

For reals, though, based on my experience with the Pilot Custom 912, I'm sure the Custom 92 is a fine pen. But it doesn't have a whole lot in common with the Lamy 2000, except that they're similar sized and piston fillers that hold a lot of ink. One of the things I like about the 2000 is that it is stealthy in the office; it just looks like a classy pen. Nothing flashy. Most people don't even know its a fountain pen. Demonstrators are generally, uh, not that.

Lamy 2000 guys love that pen because they haven't tried the Pilot Heritage Custom 92 ...

:whistling:
I've got a custom heritage 91 - admittedly not a piston filler but otherwise its pretty much the same. So I've tried something similar and I find the 2000 better for the office, while I use the 91 when I want a bit of flair.

It's been a long time since I've posted.

I have a half dozen or so Parker 51s, one bright yellow Vanishing Point, and one Lamy 2000. The Lamy 2000 is the single most used pen I have by a long shot. It gets 40% of my hand time. Pendleton Brown customized the Lamy bold nib into a great medium fine stub. It looks great and feels perfect in my hand. That said, Parker 51s are superb pens and they come in great varieties. Mine all write like they were brand new. The look is classic. Collectively they are in use 40% of the time. IMHO my Vanishing Point is a quick note pen. That clip and my hand don't combine well enough for long writing sessions. It's great for traveling. You can't lose the top and it writes writes first time, every time. The VP doesn't get as much hand time as it deserves. But I have no intention of passing it along.

I carry both a VP and a Lamy 2k. I fill pages with order check lists, prep lists and random note taking for writing specials, menu ideas etc. Both live in my sleeve pocket next to my Sharpie.

VP is great for notes or writing order lists. Prep lists the 2k is nice. It has a larger nib and I see the items from farther away. Both never fail.

My only complaint on the 2k is I have to wipe down the nib/nib housing every night. I think the changes in temparature from outside to inside to hot line creates too much of a change in temparature and it seeps enough to need wiped down. It doesn't matter what ink I use.

I have a Parker 51. I had it restored by an older gentleman in town who has worked on other pens and whom I have gotten a couple vintage pens. This one didn't take. It just didn't write well then stopped completely. Unfortunately he died before I get back to him to ask him to fix it. Just another pen I need work done to.

I've got my grandfather's 51. I'll always keep it. it was what I used when I started really using a fountain pen. the absolutely worst burper while flying I've encountered. the barrel width was just off to me once I got hold of some slightly thinner pens.

I kept a couple NOS bought Shaeffer Imperials (II & 440) as my office pens. they're now uninked in storage. my house pens are a couple Esterbrook SJs with different nibs.

turns out I've always preferred lightweight, thinner pens, despite having larger than average mitts. I can certainly write comfortably for longer with them.

Of the two you've mentioned I'd go with the Parker 51. But what I use 75% of the time in the out patient department is my Pilot custom 74. Writes well on low end paper, and holds a ton of ink.

correction to post #31.. it's a Mark II with a burgundy barrel and looks awesome writing with Oster Aostorquiza Rot. smooth as silk, too.

Legion

Staff member
The other issue, do you need to hand your pen to numpties for any reason? To sign things, and so on?

I had a FP nib messed up by a fool who pressed like he was inking a five page carbon copy.

I've had the Lamy 2K, the VP (and its slimmer brother, the Decimo), the 74s, and a 51 Aerometric.

If the pen was going to live in my desk at the office, I'd pick the 51 over the VP. Better ink capacity. Lighter feel (which I prefer for lengthy writing tasks). More robust nib, although you'd have to be seriously ham fisted to ruin a VP nib unit.

If it matters, I think the VP (and Japanese pens in general) do better with cartridges than converters. I've not found their converters to be long lasting and ink flow seemed to be more consistent when running cartridges.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I've used both in the office and I can't decide. The 51 is just about as good as a daily driver as you can get. But the VP is pretty sweet too.

So which is it?
Which one reigns supreme??

Well, you will find your own personal preference, and that will be the answer ... for you.

I like the "one hand click and write" convenience of the VP. (Only one free hand ... need to take pen out of pocket and write something without bothering with the two-handed business of taking off the cap.) For me, the 51 is a "cooler" pen to use, and better at smooth starts as the VP nib can dry out a bit in between uses.

But for me, there are other pens that I'd prefer for office work over both of those options. But that's just me.

Top Bottom