What's new

The Ambrose Trinity: Pre-Review

Still trying to get the strop forum kicking? Yes I am!

Here's something to hopefully whet you guys' appetites and keep you coming back to the Strop section.

The title is an unofficial name (meaning I made it up) for Ambrose's three different leathers being used in his strops. The now-out of stock (But hopefully returning) Spanish Horsehide, the currently available Cordovan, and a soon-to-be leather that I will not state (I don't have Ambrose's permission. I don't know if this is an under-wraps thing until he's ready to mass-produce them, so we'll wait for his input)

From my experience with the Spanish Horsehide, and my reading with the Cordovan:

Spanish Horsehide: Higher draw than horsehide, but nowhere near latigo. It's got a raspy feel and feedback in the bucket-loads. I love this leather.

Cordovan: Low, luxurious draw (I'm expecting this to be like a fusion of English Bridle and sanded/buffed horsehide) and a rich chocolatey color.

Unnamed: a smooth, hard, tight surface, treated by Jose to make it smooth and buttery (paraphrased from a PM discussing the material).

And, obviously, the fit and finish is stelllar. I love the cotton that Jose uses, and everything feels great in the hand and in use. If it weren't for these strops, I'd still be frowning on the plain ends. Now I love them. Can't recommend, or commend, these strops enough

Now I play the waiting game for the Cordovan and other to show up.

Jose, if you don't mind me talking about the third leather let me know, or fill in the blanks for me.

Thanks!
Jeremy

Quick update, Just talked to Ambrose and got the go-ahead on the third leather.

It's a horsehide, described by Jose as "hard compressed horse hide, tight surface, rich and buttery."

I'm rather excited to have another horsehide join my TM and SRD.

Cheers,
Jeremy

Last edited:
I better make room for another strop. If anyone comes into my closet they are going to think I'm some kind of hardcore S&M guy:blushing:

People on campus already think that of me... I have all the strops (including a paddle) hanging next to my desk...

I'll post pictures of all 3 once I have them

Looking forward to seeing some more work from Jose. I have one of his strops, he restored two of my str8s and now I'm sending another in for honing. He's come to be my go to guy, one hellofa nice guy to boot.

Yikes. Is that what people think of me? 31, 2 kids, and a few strops and paddles... hmmmmmmmm.

p.s. Love my ambrose! Great strop! You can really see and feel the craftsmanship!

I tried to order a paddle online so that I could make a paddle strop to my own specifications and the first thing I came across was a spanking website. :tongue_sm

That would be a pretty paintful spanking! paddle strops are usually honking pieces of wood! Closer to a baseball bat, than a spanking paddle!

I tried to order a paddle online so that I could make a paddle strop to my own specifications and the first thing I came across was a spanking website. :tongue_sm

Just go to lowes and get some craft wood 1x3x24 or 1x3x36 that comes in a veriety of woods and make your own paddle its the right size and thickness and ACE hardware has balsa planks that are the same size if you want to make a balsa strop.

Top Bottom