What's new

Tabac Stick - Discontinued

I only learned about IM after it was gone. I would have stocked up on it.
But would you have stocked up when it was actively sold? Likely not.

We take these things for granted and should be able to. No one thinks Proraso or Cella is going to go under, but it is bound to happen one day.

I won't keep 30 tubes of Proraso Blue on hand when it is widely available. But if I heard it was being discontinued, I would probably fill my Amazon cart with as many as they would sell me.

It happens with brushes too. Go check how many Shavemac custom configurator brushes were sold since it was announced it was closing. Probably more in a month then the previous 4y.

If I had liked the scent, then I would have stocked up. I stocked up on Arko and La Toja. I would have stocked up on Palmolive if it was cheap like Arko or had a container like La Toja.

I would only stock up if I thought it was still be good in 20 years. Right now the only things that come to mind are PdP,RR hard soaps, or Mogno if I can find it cheaper.

But would you have stocked up when it was actively sold? Likely not.

We take these things for granted and should be able to. No one thinks Proraso or Cella is going to go under, but it is bound to happen one day.

I won't keep 30 tubes of Proraso Blue on hand when it is widely available. But if I heard it was being discontinued, I would probably fill my Amazon cart with as many as they would sell me.

It happens with brushes too. Go check how many Shavemac custom configurator brushes were sold since it was announced it was closing. Probably more in a month then the previous 4y.
I think you’re absolutely right. And one of the reasons stuff gets discontinued is that it’s not that special and people are buying other things they prefer. I only feel sympathy for the people who actually did prefer this stuff and bought it regularly. They suffer twice - once when the manufacturer stops making it, and again when people who never cared about it suddenly go nuts and drive up the prices for whatever stock is still left (they probably don’t use it either, they just store it away and dream that one day they’ll be millionaires).

I think the lesson is that there’s plenty of very good stuff available and it’s usually better than what came before. But if you really feel you can’t live without a particular product buy a stock of it because nothing lasts forever.

Always loved Tabac and Valobra triple milled soaps. I have over the years, starting back in 2012 with Mike‘s Natural, explored the homemade soap cookers. But the more recent suburban kitchen products are just really made of water. Nice enough but not great value at all.

I would never have stocked up when tallow Tabac was actively sold but started to slowly accumulate tallow pucks and sticks after the death news came out. Haslinger tallow is a better soap than the new veggie in my testing. It just is. Same here.

Call us hoarders or smart. Doesn’t matter. If I have a surplus down the road I will offer at retail or give some away. These are classics….and that good.

IMG_3760.jpeg
IMG_1064.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3765.jpeg
    IMG_3765.jpeg
    907.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1064.jpeg
    IMG_1064.jpeg
    887 KB · Views: 7
I stocked up on Tabac with tallow when I heard they had discontinued production and am glad that I did. If you like Tabac with tallow, you should try Stirling Unscented with Beeswax. Both soaps contain tallow and coconut oil and produce fluffy* lather.

*As in Marshmallow Fluff.

I have two Tabac soaps with fat and one without fat in my dresser. I'm not going to be crazy about him. Because I can safely buy at a store near my house or online affordable shaving creams that I like. And among them there are products of very high quality at very reasonable prices.

On the German site as well, the stick is gone but refills are currently still available.

View attachment 1808635

You beat me to it. 😀
That’s exactly where I looked for confirmation this morning.

If only the shaving stick refill is left, it stands to reason that that one will soon be discontinued as well.
Why produce a refill when the holder to put it in is no longer sold? The refill market is quite limited.

I rarely use sticks, mainly for travel, but the Tabac was the one I like(d) the best among them.
Luckily, I still have quite a few of the old formula refills left.

B.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
What's happening here is a reformulation of the previous (tallow-based) formula, that's all. Many companies go through this process. Is it the end of the shave stick format? I don't think so. It doesn't mean that it won't disappear eventually. As long as the company sells the product, they will make it.

Is the product different? It's similar but different. If you have soft water, the performance will be similar. Hard water is another game. The scent isn't the same either. Let's just say it's in the same family but it's not the same scent. Just for the record, 10-15 years ago, the same thing happened with Tabac. The formula changed. The scent changed a bit. The ingredients too.

If you find a tallow-based Tabac product, it's likely NOS (new old stock). The store did not sell all the inventory. You might want to check with the seller if the ingredient list is the right one as @brucered said. It's possible that the page wasn't updated so you might buy the current production.

I had a small stash of Tabac myself but nothing glamorous. I bought a few sticks/pucks when the news came out but nothing too crazy. The new formula works for me but it's not as good as before. I will use it eventually(new and old formulas) but I might not reach for it like before. I might do something crazy like grating the old and new together...

I ordered a stick from Amazon not long ago. The listing had tallow as an ingredient ... but the stick that was delivered was the non-tallow version. I seriously contemplated returning it, but decided to give it a try. I have to admit - I am pleasantly surprised. It performs great - and I actually get a better shave in the areas that are hardest for me to shave (under my jawline on one side).

What's happening here is a reformulation of the previous (tallow-based) formula, that's all.

When MWF or other shaving soap makers reformulated their shaving soaps, there was neither a disruption in supply nor did they remove the product from their website.
The latest Tabac reformulation, where they removed the tallow, also happened quite some time ago.

While I hope that you are right, at this juncture above statement looks like a highly optimistic speculation to me that I would not dare to put any money on.

B.

Last edited:
I ordered a stick from Amazon not long ago. The listing had tallow as an ingredient ... but the stick that was delivered was the non-tallow version. I seriously contemplated returning it, but decided to give it a try. I have to admit - I am pleasantly surprised. It performs great - and I actually get a better shave in the areas that are hardest for me to shave (under my jawline on one side).

Don’t forget (away from Amazon) there are sellers out there still offering tallow Tabac refill pucks. I just received four tallow refills from the UK at a great price. Tallow formula, for me, is tops.

A little digging, double checking with the seller on the ingredient list, can yield some tallow Tabac still arriving at your doorstep. Unlike homemade soaps, stored well, these triple milled soaps will last years before opening.

Top Bottom