What's new

SOS? Not really

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
Looks like SOS, Tastes kinda Like SOS, but Sooooo much better than SOS can be.

0112231322.jpg

Creamed Venison Ham that my BiL made. No taste of venison at all. Tastes like a good ham.

For me it has to be made with Dried Beef in the jar, low on fat but enough salt to kill a man. Mixed with what my dad calls wallpaper paste and served over mashed potatoes or toast. I prefer over the mashed potatoes. I bet it is good with the venison too, but this is how I have been eating it since I was a kid and still love it this way.
1700265145824.png

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
As a kid I used to really like three things: waffle suppers, SOS, and Welsh Rarebit. It was only much later in my life that I correlated those dinners with the economic struggles that my parents were having at those times. Always food on the table, plenty of books to borrow in the library, and the radio always had music. Life was pretty good.

O.H.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
(raises hand hesitantly)

Stouffer's? Once in a while, it's great... But we have a biscuits and gravy culture here, it dovetails into.

AA

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
For me it has to be made with Dried Beef in the jar, low on fat but enough salt to kill a man. Mixed with what my dad calls wallpaper paste and served over mashed potatoes or toast. I prefer over the mashed potatoes. I bet it is good with the venison too, but this is how I have been eating it since I was a kid and still love it this way.
View attachment 1750106

We've always gone with Armour.

View attachment 1750106
Absolutely scrumptious. Hard to find that dried beef in a jar.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
The original SOS was an old US Army dish from the ‘40’s of ground beef and tomato sauce, or worse, canned tomato soup, served on toast. It looked like the name it was given

When I was in the US Army (late '70s/early '80s) they served it to us, but left out the tomato in favour of regular ol' milk gravy. Cost-cutting measures, I suppose. :)

I rather liked it. A nice big plate of hot carbs, protein and grease hit the spot after a day trying to find my rear end with both hands and a flashlight.

All these years later, I'll still occasionally make it. Usually over rice, sometimes mashed potatoes, occasionally toast. Gotta have that starch base.

O.H.

When I was in the US Army (late '70s/early '80s) they served it to us, but left out the tomato in favour of regular ol' milk gravy. Cost-cutting measures, I suppose. :)

I rather liked it. A nice big plate of hot carbs, protein and grease hit the spot after a day trying to find my rear end with both hands and a flashlight.

All these years later, I'll still occasionally make it. Usually over rice, sometimes mashed potatoes, occasionally toast. Gotta have that starch base.

O.H.
Damn right it was good stuff

Top Bottom