What's new

Small Batch Shave Tonic Aftershave - Hand Crafted Bourbon - Bay Rum Variant

Today I wandered into the Derby City Chop Shop in Louisville, Kentucky. I wanted to see if they had wet shaving supplies. They had a lots of stuff. What really caught my eye was their house made "Small Batch Shave Tonic". I took a good long sniff and it smelled great. It's made with Bourbon and Bay Rum. I've not yet tried it on my skin yet, but the ingredients list is intriguing. Following is more info.

I suppose you'd have to call them to order some because I don't see it for sale online. Website link: http://www.derbycitychopshop.com/

View attachment 500281
Small Batch Shave Tonic Aftershave - Hand Crafted with Bourbon - Bay Rum Variant
Description on Bottle:

Inside this bottle is a handcrafted post shave elixir concocted with the true Kentucky gentleman in mind. Winter Reserve is a twist on the classic men's scent, Bay Rum. Using our native spirit, Bourbon, ingredients are steeped for two months allowing the blend to fully mature. After filtering twice, each bottle is then filled, labeled, and numbered individually by hand.

After shaving, simply splash a small amount of the tonic on your face and neck. The alcohol disinfects and closes your pores, delivering just enough bite to remind us that we're men, while the blend of soothing agents goes to work preventing irritation.

• Handmade item
  • Materials: Alcohol, Witch Hazel, Aloe Vera, Vegetable Glycerin, Kentucky Bourbon, Pimenta Racemosa Leaves, Cinnamon, Cloves, Blood Orange Zest, Vanilla, Rosewood, Allspice, Rosewater

Last edited:
Look interesting. Basic bay rum recipe adapted to bourbon plus witch hazel for astringent and glycerin for moisturizing.

How much were they charging for this elixir?

I didn't pay attention to the price. I want to say it was maybe $20 but I can't say for sure. I'll check later when I drive by next time.

Cool bottles and labels, and more importantly, the ingredient list looks very good. But yeah, price will matter a lot, given how good some of the competition is.
Great pic!

They packaged it to look like a Makers Mark Bourbon bottle. I'll check the price in a few.

Okay, I just called them and it's $20. Sorry about not knowing the price. Their phone number is 1-502-632-2467 . I'll make a point to buy some next time I'm nearby. Then I can speak better to it's properties and quality.

Last edited:
Thanks, Jaret -- I didn't actually mean you were responsible to find out the price, but I'm glad you did. And I'm glad you're taking one for the team to report on properties and quality. I look forward to your report!

I bought this and used this today. Saturday and Sunday are usually my "Shave Sabbath" days when I let my whiskers have a rest. I broke that sabbath just for you guys. I choose my 1958 Gillette Fatboy and set the adjustment to 8. I selected Somersets Shave Oil (alone with no other cream or soap). I burned incense to honor my my ancestors and cleanse the sink of evil weeper spirits...just kidding.

I shaved off my whiskers and splashed Small Batch Shave Tonic Aftershave liberally on my face. Fist off they put a little plastic disk down the neck of the bottle so you shake it out like a tonic bottle in small doses. You can't really over pour it (which is a nice touch) .It had a very mild sting in spots reminding me where I was careless. Some aftershaves are too light on glycerine others too much. This one is just right. The side of the bottle gives a description on the side that hits it dead on. But here goes. Bay Rum, Bourbon, Vanilla, Oak, very subtle Citrus, Clove. I though long and hard about the smell. It was familiar to me. Then it hit me. It smells like my liquor cabinet when I open it up. Not liquor mind you but that pleasant melange of a liquor cabinet along with tobacco (I keep my cigar humidor in there too).

Its subtle but has presence. Its not over powering and would not overpower a cologne but seems to linger long enough to stand alone.

I like it and so does my wife and also my daughter (who is 20).

So I was looking at the original bottle of Small Batch Shave Tonic I purchased at Derby City Chop Shop, The first bottle I got was "Batch 4" bottled December 22, 2013 numbered 5/60. The one I bought yesterday was "Batch 5" Bottled April 11, 2015 No. 75/76. It could be a while before we see another batch. The owner suggested he was going to step up the number of batches. I sure hope so. I use mine daily pretty liberally (add my son in there too). I got mine in September and I am just about out. After long term use, I highly recommend this. Wish I could post a whiff!
$20150428_194450-1.jpg

So I was looking at the original bottle of Small Batch Shave Tonic I purchased at Derby City Chop Shop, The first bottle I got was "Batch 4" bottled December 22, 2013 numbered 5/60. The one I bought yesterday was "Batch 5" Bottled April 11, 2015 No. 75/76. It could be a while before we see another batch. The owner suggested he was going to step up the number of batches. I sure hope so. I use mine daily pretty liberally (add my son in there too). I got mine in September and I am just about out. After long term use, I highly recommend this. Wish I could post a whiff! Their Facebook Page seems to be the best way to know when Batch is in the works https://www.facebook.com/DerbyCityChopShop
View attachment 567982

I'm very close to finished with my second bottle of Derby City Chop Shop's Small Batch Shave Tonic "Winter Reserve". I dropped in to the shop to get a bottle. They had about 5 bottles displayed. There is a change in packaging. The bottle is the same size (7.5oz) and shape, but there is no longer a swing top stopper. I was informed by the maker that he was unable to get that type of bottle any more. The lid is a screw lid hand dipped in black wax (akin to Makers Mark Bourbon) that drips attractively down the bottle. This is Batch is make "X". My last batch was 5. I guess he has stepped up production with 5 batches since my last purchase. Same great scent, soothing properties and quality.

Top Bottom