What's new

Skin too sensitive?

Hey guys,

Have any of you found that the straight simply might not be for you? I know its supposed to be tough to get used to, but daaamn... the last couple shaves have left the face feeling pretty raw. Maybe the skin stretch/shave is too harsh for my sensitive skin? I had some pretty bad shaves when starting out with a DE too but I'm not quite sure about this.

Hey guys,

Have any of you found that the straight simply might not be for you? I know its supposed to be tough to get used to, but daaamn... the last couple shaves have left the face feeling pretty raw. Maybe the skin stretch/shave is too harsh for my sensitive skin? I had some pretty bad shaves when starting out with a DE too but I'm not quite sure about this.
It's impossible to know with out knowing your skin, but as far as straight shaves go, they are probably the most skin-friendly alternative out there, because you decide exactly what angles you will work with at any given time.

Also, they are not as sharp as DE's.

There is a lot of factors that adds up to how an edge feels on the skin.
Things that for me makes an edge extra smooth/skin-friendly are:

Finishing method; coticule edges are notouriosly friendly & "forgiving"
CrOx is also a edge most people find extra nice

Grind; Try around, some grinds work better then others.

Steel; Some are just smoother, Sheffield is a generally smooth shavers.

But most importantly is your technique, it takes several months to develop a technique & style that makes for consistent, good, close, shaves without irritation.
But once there most men find shave that are both closer & far more comfortable the what any DE/Blade can give.

It will get better.

It took plenty of experience before I got an irritation free shave with a straight.

Cuts and nicks were never a problem, but serious razor burn was.

Remember, no pressure, even less than a double edge razor, and a steep angle.

Let your straight do the work.

Was this the first shaves or have you had several on that blade without rehoning or going to a pasted strop? A slightly dull blade is murder to my face, and a freshly honed blade is pure pleasure.

Phil

Maybe over stretching the skin? The stretch is important but can be carried too far. It is just to keep the skin from bunching up in front of the blade. In most areas simply pressing the skin with a finger will put enough stretch on it.

Legion

Staff member
Likely causes:

Too much pressure.

Too steep of an angle.

Keep at it!:thumbup1:

I think this is the answer, right here.

Really???!!! I'm very surprised. I'm not doubting you. I just thought straights were usually much sharper than DEs or SEs.

No way, unless it's one of those disposable blade straights. Try doing a HHT with a DE blade. They are usually way sharper. But sharpness isn't everything.

Likely causes:

Too much pressure.

Too steep of an angle.

I'd say the same. My skin is very sensitive on my neck... probably more sensitive than anyone's... and in the beginning (and now, if I rush or not careful enough) I get more irritation than even carts (which were already setting my face on fire...) But if I remember to ease up on pressure and be a lot more careful with the angles... doing 3-4 much less aggressive passes instead of a 1 or 2 aggressive passes... then I get no irritation and a great shave. But it's a YMMV thing, I guess.

Don't feel bad. I've been plagued with horribly irratible skin (I refuse to use the term "sensitive" 'cuz that just ain't me:001_tt2:) and it took me a very long time to get really good at shaving wth a straight. Not just passable but good.
When it comes, you'll know it, and you'll never go back, but it takes lots of practice.
It actually took me more time to learn to shave than it did to hone, but once my honing really rocked into the top level, my shaves just kept getting better and better.
Like the guys before me mentioned; watch your angles and don't use much, if any pressure at all. Don't try too hard, and don't make too many passes. And whatever you do, don't go over and over an area, especially without re-lathering. Don't be too concerned with getting a perfect BBS shave either; I find that after the alum block and a cold water splash, the closeness of the shave really jumps up a notch as your skin tightens up and the hair folicles seem to retract back into the skin.
Stick with it, and the rewards will be tremendous.

Really???!!! I'm very surprised. I'm not doubting you. I just thought straights were usually much sharper than DEs or SEs.

I've taken a used Feather blade and done the HHT with the hair backwards. Still passed. DE and SE blades are much sharper, but as it has been said - sharpness isn't everything.

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
Ill be honest with you. I cant shave daily with a staright/DE/Fusion. Im about an every 2 day type of guy or else i start running into issues.

Aside from technique sometimes the razor can be dulling and you may be forcing your shave too much. One issue I have is by the next morning my shave is still pretty darn close from the day before and by Friday my face needs a rest. So my soaps or creams have to be very moisturizing and only the best aftershaves for me or my face will feel uncomfortable by Friday.

I think I have the same issue. After my atg pass, the alum always stings. I'm using ZERO pressure, and an extremely low angle. I don't know what I'm doing wrong!

Sometimes I want to order some diamond paste and make my blade sharper. My DE doesn't sting, and it's sharper, so a sharper straight must be the answer!

At one time using a straight was the only way to shave so I doubt your skin is the issue.

+1... I have to think that it will work for anyone... it just requires a varying degree of patience, from person to person, while searching for the right edge and technique.

I think I have the same issue. After my atg pass, the alum always stings. I'm using ZERO pressure, and an extremely low angle. I don't know what I'm doing wrong!

Sometimes I want to order some diamond paste and make my blade sharper. My DE doesn't sting, and it's sharper, so a sharper straight must be the answer!

I would not suggest that at all. Diamond paste .25 and .50 are pretty harsh YMMV though. I'm in the There Is Such A Thing As Too Sharp camp and I'll choose a little stubble over irritation. I had to have my first razor rehoned a few times because I was wearing down the keenness with poor stropping and technique.

Sharpness is good, but I never really got comfortable shaves until I abandoned the whole idea of BBS by going ATG.
No matter how sharp, or light pressure, or flat angle I used, I just couldn't get away from the razor rash and ingrowns until I used a super sharp blade WTG.
I increased my angle to maybe something greater than 30 deg, and I also find that i can tolerate a bit more pressure with this technique. I also use a slight sideways motion that attacks slightly XTG while moving the blade WTG, and when I can't do that, I always move the blade with a slight angle, either toe leading or heel leading.
I really had to battle my OCD to get away from ATG shaving, but I've finally realized that no-one (and I do mean no-one) is looking at you hard enough to notice that the shave isn't absolutely perfectly close, and you can bet it's a better shave than the guy showing up for work after running an electric shaver over his stubble.:thumbup1:

being a relative novice, I'll just point out that I made a less hydrated lather when I used a DE, so maybe more water in your mix would help. the extra slickness seems to be key for better shaves with identical technique, on my face. I'm obligated to point out that your mileage may vary

+1 to not shooting for BBS

Also, I noticed this thread is a couple weeks old, have your shaves started getting better rklement?

Last edited:
Top Bottom