What's new

Single Edge Razor Acquisition Thread.

It
This is my first SE ever purchased. Just about an hour ago at a flea market. I know it is a Mongoose, but there is where my knowledge ends.
View attachment 1837360
View attachment 1837363
View attachment 1837365
View attachment 1837366
Are these still made? Can anyone tell me what model this is? Where are they made?

Heck...what blades does this use? I'm just a DE guy and am really out to sea on this. The vendor was a guy I check out a couple times a year. He sold me a red tip Super Speed months ago for $5.

I almost don't want to say what I paid for this. Lest I end up being dismissed like Marco Polo and his outlandish tales.

It was $8.
I don't own one, but it looks like it may be a Mingoose model, which take injector blades. @Tanuki should know. The AC blades are wider than injectors, they run 50mm wide. The Mingoose was last sold by Maggards for $165, so you did well on the price. I don't think Mongoose is still making razors.

It

I don't own one, but it looks like it may be a Mingoose model, which take injector blades. @Tanuki should know. The AC blades are wider than injectors, they run 50mm wide. The Mingoose was last sold by Maggards for $165, so you did well on the price. I don't think Mongoose is still making razors.
I've done some looking since I posted. Looks like these take Artist Club style blades. A more expensive type of blade than what I'm used to, but if I can use one 5+ times before discard, it may be okay.

What is going to haunt me is the cased PAL Injectomatic, gold plated, and looking very much NOS. Why didn't I even ask a price? I've been wanting an injector in my collection.

This is my first SE ever purchased. Just about an hour ago at a flea market. I know it is a Mongoose, but there is where my knowledge ends.
View attachment 1837360
View attachment 1837363
View attachment 1837365
View attachment 1837366
Are these still made? Can anyone tell me what model this is? Where are they made?

Heck...what blades does this use? I'm just a DE guy and am really out to sea on this. The vendor was a guy I check out a couple times a year. He sold me a red tip Super Speed months ago for $5.

I almost don't want to say what I paid for this. Lest I end up being dismissed like Marco Polo and his outlandish tales.

It was $8.
OMG on the price! Absolutely a Mingoose. Not made any more. Awesome quality handle too, but heavy for my taste.

I recommend using the Japanese Schick Proline B blades (aka B-20 since they come in a 20 blade dispenser).

The regulation Schick injector blade has squared corners that engage the blade retention lugs. Those corners can bite!

The Proline Bs have friendly rounded corners. The rouned corners don't engage in Schick injectors correctly, but they are perfect for the Mingoose.

OMG on the price! Absolutely a Mingoose. Not made any more. Awesome quality handle too, but heavy for my taste.

I recommend using the Japanese Schick Proline B blades (aka B-20 since they come in a 20 blade dispenser).

The regulation Schick injector blade has squared corners that engage the blade retention lugs. Those corners can bite!

The Proline Bs have friendly rounded corners. The rouned corners don't engage in Schick injectors correctly, but they are perfect for the Mingoose.
So, a blade that would come in a Schick injector "magazine", but that I would need to disengage from the magazine and manually load into this 3-piece SE razor?

So, a blade that would come in a Schick injector "magazine", but that I would need to disengage from the magazine and manually load into this 3-piece SE razor?
IMG_6220.jpeg
The various Prolines come in magazines, but the magazines do not have the key (metal prong) that wedges open a Schick injector.

I dispense a blade and load it into my 3-piece Mingoose by hand, whatever style magazine.

If I want a Schick Proline B in a Schick injector I load it into a keyed injector magazine first.

View attachment 1837466The various Prolines come in magazines, but the magazines do not have the key (metal prong) that wedges open a Schick injector.

I dispense a blade and load it into my 3-piece Mingoose by hand, whatever style magazine.

If I want a Schick Proline B in a Schick injector I load it into a keyed injector magazine first.

I'll look into those Japanese Schick Prolines. I doubt the Mongoose is going to supplant my DEs entirely, but I can't tolerate the idea of having a razor, but no "ammunition" for it.

But honestly, all this talk reminds me of when I was 19 and someone tried to explain the feed and caring of an M60 machinegun to me.

Top Bottom