What's new

Shoe spending

Those look like the current New Orleans, I had picked up a pair in black and walnut earlier and like them so much I ordered the Boca Raton when they put on the Fathers day sale. It's amazing how cool they feel, considering that they are fully leather lined. I guess one thin layer of solid lining leather under the woven area is cooler than two solid layers, but I can definitely feel the difference, which is noticeable when sitting in the living room with a ceiling fan going. As much as my feet sweat these shoes are going to get a good workout this summer.

I'm in the same boat, I loved the Lauderdales so much, I picked up a pair of discontinued Hampsteads for a bit more of the wingtip vs. captoe look. Both are just outrageously comfortable and, as you said, much cooler than a comparable non-woven shoe.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
IMG_7333.jpeg

@FL shaver

So… here we are. 10 years on.

You’ve had a decade to decide. 😳😀

In the long run, do you find it more beneficial to purchase higher quality-made, recraftable footwear as opposed to less expensive, disposable (if you will) footwear?

And what became of those Allen-Edmonds you purchased in 2013?

Did you maintain them?

Lol! I was in Birmingham, MI, a few weeks ago for a wedding. We were walking the main drag of shops and came across an Allen Edmonds shop! My son-in-law commented that they are nice shoes. I told him that I still have three pair, and I would be wearing one pair the next two evenings. I have only worn one pair regularly for work, over a period of about 2 years, and none of them have seen significant wear or required restoration. Worth every penny!

Great Necropost Resurrection:

I fight this battle with youngsters in my office that should know better. They buy glued together shoes from DSW for 100 or less, wear them near daily and wonder why they only last a year or so.

When I mention rotating shoes on a daily basis and using heal taps, they look at me like I have an appendage growing out of my forehead.

Here in the US, eBay is simply chock full of sub 65.00 shoes that retail for 200USD or more.

Front to back/left to right:
ET Wright/AE/AE/Jack Irwins
AE/AE/Jack Irwins/Bostonians

I have no more that 65.00 shipped in any of the shoes below as they were from thirft stores and eBay.

I get comments on my shoes weekly.

IMG_0025.jpeg

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Great Necropost Resurrection:

I fight this battle with youngsters in my office that should know better. They buy glued together shoes from DSW for 100 or less, wear them near daily and wonder why they only last a year or so.

When I mention rotating shoes on a daily basis and using heal taps, they look at me like I have an appendage growing out of my forehead.

Here in the US, eBay is simply chock full of sub 65.00 shoes that retail for 200USD or more.

Front to back/left to right:
ET Wright/AE/AE/Jack Irwins
AE/AE/Jack Irwins/Bostonians

I have no more that 65.00 shipped in any of the shoes below as they were from thirft stores and eBay.

I get comments on my shoes weekly.

View attachment 1771727

You most certainly are a master at finding and reviving excellent footwear but I do have a bone of contention to pick with you…

You forgot to include my favorite pair. 😀

If I recall correctly, a pair of J&M Chelsea boots you found for around $20. That’s outstanding. 👍

IMG_7385.jpeg

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
“Quality remains long after the price is forgotten”

I don’t think I have ever regretted spending that little bit extra to get something which lasts.
The problem comes when you spend extra and then receive an inferior product. I have certainly paid extra for long established brands of good reputation, and found to my dismay that their quality had deteriorated. I am now surprised when a brand is actually as good as it used to be.

JG
I loved those boots. I passed them on to a dear friend as he was retiring from our office.
He wants to be a guy that buys/sells on eBay but is too distracted to follow thru.

He has been generous to a fault with his time/ talent/treasure with me and my family. SO-when he said he liked them, I literally took them off my feet as I had some Ecco Chuka back ups at the office.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
JG
I loved those boots. I passed them on to a dear friend as he was retiring from our office. SO-when he said he liked them, I literally took them off my feet as I had some Ecco Chuka back ups at the office.

Of course. There is no better feeling in the world. Nicely done. :thumbup1:

Top Bottom