What's new

Shoe etiquette when snowing

Once again it is snowing in Connecticut. I have a job interview this afternoon and will probably be wearing rubber overshoes over my dress shoes.

My question is.....once inside the office do the overshoes get left at the door or do I wear them for the duration of the interview?

Or do I assess the situation and call an audible when I see what I'm dealing with? I've never met this person or dealt with this company before.

Take a bag for your overshoes with you and take them off in the bathroom. Play it by ear from then on as to whether to leave it with the interviewer's secretary, or take it into a conference room if interviewed by a committee.

I'd take them off.
I dislike when people track dirt in my office.
The interviewer may not notice your shoes, but they will likely notice the mess (if you make one).
And it just looks neater.

In Sweden, where the climate is often snowy, rainy or otherwise mushy on the ground, it is customary to takes one's shoes off, so that if you visit someone's home, you take your shoes off in the hallway. Some carry their indoor shoes in a bag and switch when they leave, others just walk around the house in their socks (if you know your host and the visit is informal).

For offices, it is widely accepted to keep your shoes on. In fact, most offices rent carpets for people to wipe their shoes/boots off when entering the building.

So, my tip is, take your nice shoes in a bag and switch when you arrive for your interview. You need to take the extra five minutes for the switch into consideration, but you'll feel it was worth it when you have your nice, comfy, gleaming shoes on.

:eek:)
Perkus

Absolutely do not wear them during the interview. Someone will certainly notice & you will be remembered as the candidate that was wearing rubber shoes, regardless of how you perform in the interview. If you must wear them, take a bag to put them in and find someplace to leave them before you start your interview.

I would say enter the interviewers office , give him the good old hand shake hello, sit down and just take your shoes off, but make sure your wearing bright colored socks to really grab his/or her eye. I think this will lighten the interview process and make the experience more enjoyable.
Of course Im just joking. I would just keep the rubbers at home. And just give your shoes a good stomp before entering the building.

Good luck in your interview. I have one today as well, hope it works out , I need money to keep up with my AD's.

Take a bag for your overshoes with you and take them off in the bathroom. Play it by ear from then on as to whether to leave it with the interviewer's secretary, or take it into a conference room if interviewed by a committee.

I would do the same. This way you dont make a mess by dragging in snow and other things and you dont have to worry about your nicely shined shoes getting messed up from snow and salt.

I would do the same. This way you dont make a mess by dragging in snow and other things and you dont have to worry about your nicely shined shoes getting messed up from snow and salt.

Thanks Guys. I knew I could count on this place. The snow has cleared up quite a bit but I'm going with the bag plan if the overshoes are necessary.

Wish me luck.

I'm back in job interview mode too, the usual rule of thumb there's a closet at reception and you leave your overshoes there, hopefully no one steals them.

Not wearing galoshes kinda ruins the meaning of wearing galoshes, no?

Wear them and take them off discreetly when you enter the building. Leave them with a receptionist would be my bet.

Thank you Gentlemen. The interview was over 3 hours and I received a verbal offer. Hopefully, the details get firmed up next week and I start working.

I was planning on using the shoe bag if necessary. I ended removing the overshoes in the car and leaving them in the trunk. The parking lot and sidewalk were clear.

The atmosphere was a LOT more casual than I expected. This was a fairly decent paying sales job. I felt overdressed.

Umm not to be rude but who the hell would steal those?

The Rubber Monster

proxy.php

Thank you Gentlemen. The interview was over 3 hours and I received a verbal offer. Hopefully, the details get firmed up next week and I start working.

I was planning on using the shoe bag if necessary. I ended removing the overshoes in the car and leaving them in the trunk. The parking lot and sidewalk were clear.

The atmosphere was a LOT more casual than I expected. This was a fairly decent paying sales job. I felt overdressed.

Congrats. As long as you weren't in tux, it is better to be overdressed than underdressed.

Top Bottom