What's new

Shag tobacco...

The real stuff is getting harder and harder to find. Seems everyone went to a crimp or ribbon cut because of the regulations between pipe tobacco and cigarette tobacco.

Does anyone have any shag recommendations? I've tried 5 Brothers and some of the Daughter and Ryan blends. 5 Bros is as close to a real shag cut as I can find but I hate having to order 1.5 oz. packages and pay shipping. The D&R stuff is hit or miss. @luvmysuper was kind enough to share some D&R Three Sails with me awhile back and I liked it- it's a semi-shag cut and better than some of the other D&R cuts. D&R Ryback is probably my favorite of their blends and is in the same style of cut as Three Sails. I just bought some D&R Two Timer to try out, and while I love the flavor, the cut is just a basic ribbon cut tobacco like everyone else's.

Years ago, I was addicted to Drum tobacco. It's still my favorite tobacco of all time and I have one mason jar left that I'm saving for a really special occasion. I smoked it in a pipe and rolled my own cigs for short smoke breaks. I'm back to the idea of rolling my own for quick work smokes. I have an inexpensive tube roller.

I think I'll stop by the local RYO shop on the way home today and see if anything is available there but wanted some ideas before I go. Virginias, burleys, dark fired, etc. I like just about anything. Just curious if anyone knows of some other companies that make shag cut tobacco...

Thanks all!

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
The real stuff is getting harder and harder to find. Seems everyone went to a crimp or ribbon cut because of the regulations between pipe tobacco and cigarette tobacco.

Does anyone have any shag recommendations? I've tried 5 Brothers and some of the Daughter and Ryan blends. 5 Bros is as close to a real shag cut as I can find but I hate having to order 1.5 oz. packages and pay shipping. The D&R stuff is hit or miss. @luvmysuper was kind enough to share some D&R Three Sails with me awhile back and I liked it- it's a semi-shag cut and better than some of the other D&R cuts. D&R Ryback is probably my favorite of their blends and is in the same style of cut as Three Sails. I just bought some D&R Two Timer to try out, and while I love the flavor, the cut is just a basic ribbon cut tobacco like everyone else's.

Years ago, I was addicted to Drum tobacco. It's still my favorite tobacco of all time and I have one mason jar left that I'm saving for a really special occasion. I smoked it in a pipe and rolled my own cigs for short smoke breaks. I'm back to the idea of rolling my own for quick work smokes. I have an inexpensive tube roller.

I think I'll stop by the local RYO shop on the way home today and see if anything is availablesmo there but wanted some ideas before I go. Virginias, burleys, dark fired, etc. I like just about anything. Just curious if anyone knows of some other companies that make shag cut tobacco...

Thanks all!
Everything SP has listed as a shag cut:

Everything TP has listed as shag cut (22 items, most out of stock)

I love shag tobacco for its ease of lighting and ability to stay lit while smoking. Only two I’ve really tried are five brothers and GH and Co’s dark Birdseye. My analogy with those two is like a lawnmower beer vs a Guinness, respectively, flavorwise and mouth feel. Grab some one or two oz ‘samples’ of the different GH and Company shag cuts and see which ones you prefer.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I've tried several of the GH shags in my search for a "black shag" which was reportedly what Sir Arthur Conan Doyle wrote that his character Sherlock Holmes smoked.
They are quite good, as long as you are not put off by the darker blends.

They all sound good. Thanks for the links, Phil. I've dabbled with the G&H stuff in the past but never tried any of the shag ones. I think Peter Stokkebye still makes some, too. They may be more in my price range unless they're all made for the European market, also.

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Le Petit Robin by Tabac Manil (a semois blend) is one of the finest shag cuts around for pipe tobacco.

Shag cut pipe tobaccos do seem much harder to find in variety. Stokebye Amsterdam shag is another that can sometimes be found but the main ones that come to mind are: 5 bros, Dark Birdseye, and 3 sails. Perhaps some of the Kendal Shags as well.

The Semois tobacco I picked up was not a shag unless the only shag one is La Petite. Wish there we're more options out there as there are many people asking for suggestions.

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
Good majority of Germaine blends are shag.

Balkan sobranie/pembroke/margate/and so to bed.

Both Five Brothers and Three Sails are listed as pretty strong (4 out of 5, I think). Is that the case with most shag-cut tobaccos?

Top Bottom