What's new

Rooney measuring system?

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Hey everybody.

Sorry for the newb question but I can't figure it out on my own. What the difference between a Rooney 1/1 vs 3/1?

Thanks!

The Rooney 1/1 is a bit smaller ( I think 9 MM's if I am not mistaken) than the 3/1. The other obvious is the handle. The 1/1 is often looked as a better soap brush for a face latherer because of the shorter loft but both are very firm. I have the 3/1 and I think it works great no matter what you do with it, creams or soaps, bowls or face lather, works great.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Smaller in terms of handle size? Or loft? I guess my question is, what do the numerator and the denominator signify?

I have a 3/1, it is my go-to brush. The brush loft isn't so much an issue if you order from a reputable vendor who will take the time to satisfy customers to the fullest. I bought my 3/1 from Jim at Vintage Blades and he handpicked the shortest loft from the handle I chose. I wound up with the tortoise 3/1 I liked, with a 45.8mm loft... smaller than your standard 1/1 :tongue:

I have a 3/1, it is my go-to brush. The brush loft isn't so much an issue if you order from a reputable vendor who will take the time to satisfy customers to the fullest. I bought my 3/1 from Jim at Vintage Blades and he handpicked the shortest loft from the handle I chose. I wound up with the tortoise 3/1 I liked, with a 45.8mm loft... smaller than your standard 1/1 :tongue:

I would suggest going the route of Vintage Blades. He is by far the best I have ever dealt with and will never go any where else unless I can get a Rooney significantly cheaper which will never happen.

The numerator is the handle design, the denominator is the size, 1 being the smallest size.

This question vexed me too. For those out there that are mathematically challenged and don't recall the difference between a numerator and a denominator I'll make it easy:
The first number is the style. The second number is the size. For example 2/1 is a Style 2, Size 1. Which incidentally is the only size available in a style 2. :mad:

This question vexed me too. For those out there that are mathematically challenged and don't recall the difference between a numerator and a denominator I'll make it easy:
The first number is the style. The second number is the size. For example 2/1 is a Style 2, Size 1. Which incidentally is the only size available in a style 2. :mad:

Now now easy puppy. We are all here to ask and learn , right? :wink:

If you get a 1/1 you don't have to worry about which is which. :biggrin:

The only math you need to know is 1/1 = awesome brush.

The average loft of a 1/1, incidentally, is the same as a 3/1, barring variations because these are handmade brushes.

-Andy

It's me politely trying to say stfu and let the newbie ask away!

I think you might be reading something into the post you reference that I don't see, nor apparently does the one who posted it seem to intend, based on his questioning of your "stfu".

Well I think personally the whole vexed part where he got vexed over a quesionand answering " for those mathematically challenged" was a shot at the OP. Not necessary as we are pretty much all here for the same reason but nor am I a mod and here to mod the forums. If I did, misread it then I apologize for my perception on the post...

Well I think personally the whole vexed part where he got vexed over a quesionand answering " for those mathematically challenged" was a shot at the OP. Not necessary as we are pretty much all here for the same reason but nor am I a mod and here to mod the forums. If I did, misread it then I apologize for my perception on the post...

Bob was correct. You completely misinterpreted the post by Gafer. It happens to all of us.

Uh, Gafer here. Sorry if I insulted anyone with my "mathematically challenged" comment. I thought I'd just clarify what the 2/1 business was all about. I personally never looked at this as a numerator/denominator thing since it's not really a fraction anyway. Regardless, I didn't mean to **** anyone off. I've been around here too long for that to be my reason for posting.

In a related note, one study at UCLA indicated that up to 93 percent of communication effectiveness is determined by nonverbal cues. Kinda hard to include those cues in a text post without "Smiling" the damn thing to death. :biggrin:

p.s. I don't think there's EVER a way to "politely" say stfu - whether I had it coming or not.

Last edited:
Top Bottom