What's new

Robeson Sure Edge and Boker Lancet Temper

Gentlemen,

I found a couple of nice looking razors at an antique shop today. The first is a Robeson Sure Edge, 6/8, full hollow ground. The blade says "The razor that fits your face." The tang is marked Robeson Sure Edge Rochester N.Y. with the number 36-M-400 on the tail. The bag is made from felt and from the age of the snap, I would guess probably is from the 50's. The scales are in beautiful shape. Other than some minor pitting on the spine, this razor looks like it just needs a good cleaning and polishing.

The Boker is an 11/16, spike point. The blade is marked "Lancet Temper" and the tang is marked H. Boker & Co Germany, 621. The scales are functional, but the finish is trashed.

I would like to clean both blades up without removing the etching on the blade, any suggestions?View attachment 165633

View attachment 165635

I have that very same model of Robeson ShurEdge, except mine is in a nearly flawless condition. You won't be disappointed.

I have that very same model of Robeson ShurEdge, except mine is in a nearly flawless condition. You won't be disappointed.

Did someone just leak their favorite American model :tongue_sm

Edit: to the OP, it will be hard to save any etch on the boker if you want to shine it up to a mirror. If I recall on the Robeson from what I once owned you could probably start at 400 grit sandpaper and work your way up to 2000, shine with MAAS and save the blade etch. If the Boker is gold etch (can't tell from pics), there really is no way to shine it up without loosing it. Start with a non-abrasive polish like Mothers and see where that gets you.

Last edited:
Did someone just leak their favorite American model :tongue_sm

Edit: to the OP, it will be hard to save any etch on the boker if you want to shine it up to a mirror. If I recall on the Robeson from what I once owned you could probably start at 400 grit sandpaper and work your way up to 2000, shine with MAAS and save the blade etch. If the Boker is gold etch (can't tell from pics), there really is no way to shine it up without loosing it. Start with a non-abrasive polish like Mothers and see where that gets you.

The Boker isn't a gold etch, neither razor has a very deep etching on the blade. At some point I will re-scale the Boker, but I want to keep the Robeson the way it is.

I took the advice of others on these forums and asked if the store owner had any vintage shaving stuff. He didn't have the Robeson displayed and told me he had almost given up selling it. I'm pretty excited about getting both razors back into shape.:thumbup:

Top Bottom