What's new

Restoring Horn Scales

I picked uo a blade on the bay with horn scales and am wondering how to go about polishing them up to make em' purdy. Anyone?

I used a dremel on a low speed, a soft buffing wheel and beeswax and they came out really nicely. I've heard lots of a talk about neatsfoot oil being the best thing for them though

I used a dremel on a low speed, a soft buffing wheel and beeswax and they came out really nicely. I've heard lots of a talk about neatsfoot oil being the best thing for them though

Thanks for the tip...I didnt think I needed to post pic's of the scales...Horn is Horn right...betacarotene and all. :001_tongu

Kinda depends how 'crummy' they are.

If intact, like no cracks soaking in neatsfoot and rub with steel wool may be perfect.

If lots of surface scratching, like from being really dry, or oxidation you may want to start wet sand from 600 or 800 or so pending what sort of damage. Take up to 1000 or 1500 depending how detail oriented you are. Better yet, micromesh to 12000. Final buff with dremel or buffers would be great.

Again pending condition, if needs lots of sanding better to unpin to make clean up easiest.

Dont be afraid if bug bites. Sometimes they look nice, adding a little extra character.
proxy.php

Last edited:
Top Bottom