What's new

Restore horn?

I just bought a Wade and Butcher "Barber's Rattler," and I believe it has horn scales. I'd like to soak them in neatsfoot (or an equivalent) but I'd like to know if I have to remove the scales, or can I soak the whole thing (blade and everything) without consequence? If I have to remove, is there a guide I should follow to keep from damaging the horn? Thanks folks!

-Matt-

I'm not sure if the neetsfoot will damage the razor - someone else will chime in. Just sand with high grit paper (I did this while they were still wet from soaking in the neetsfoot) and polish up.

There should be an unpinning sticky around here somewhere, but to take the scales off, try and drill through the pin and it will come loose

Thought some pics might be helpful, I'm not sure it is even horn...I don't know that I can tell the difference! Here goes:
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

btw, based on the very faint stamp, is it possible to date this razor? Also, can the stamp be brought out? Thanks again!

-Matt-

looks like horn to me!

unfortunately you wont be able to bring the stamp out more, its only as deep as your eyes show. it looks 1880/1890 to me, but no later than about 1895 as it doesnt say 'England' on the stamp.

I would be more worried about the frown in the blade than the scales... unless its just the pictures?

Yay for the horn, and for the date! I know it's not anywhere near as old as some I've seen on this forum (WOW!) but it's my oldest now, and I'm very excited! As for the condition of the blade, this is an ebay buy, so I haven't handled it yet, but I thought it might be a "toe" on the blade, rather than a frown...? If it's a problem though, I'll just hone it out and see what happens! I'm just concerned about leaving it as original as possible, which made me wonder about soaking the whole thing in Neatsfoot...
-Matt-

In the interests of limiting metal removal as much as possible, are there any advantages to a pronounced toe on a razor? I'm thinking maybe in the hollow under the jawline, or around edges? Or do I need to bite the bullet and breadknife the crap outta this thing?

-Matt-

I would set a new edge entirely, and not try and work with the existing crazy edge. The heel will need to be ground a bit from the looks of things, but thats easily doable

Definitely horn scales. I've had some good results from sanding with very fine wet and dry paper and then massaging some soft wax into them. The wax I use is meant for water proofing leather boot but it does a very good job of rehydrating the horn. Then either hand polish or use a buffer to bring out a deep shine.

are there any advantages to a pronounced toe on a razor? I'm thinking maybe in the hollow under the jawline, or around edges?

nope... you'll be holding the edge against your face and it probably doesn't matter how much is missing really between the spine and edge near the point.

Another question about the razor... if I have an even (straight) edge on the blade, how much does it matter that the blade itself has a toe? Is a straight edge more important than an even width? Thanks,

-Matt-

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I think the difficulty you will have is when you hone it. Because the blade tapers, but the spine remains straight, it may not lay flat on a wider hone. Try setting it on a flat surface like a table see how it lies...it may be perfectly fine too.

Top Bottom