What's new

Recommendations for younger men

Zach, if you are leaving that much water in the brush, then 5-10 swirls is not nearly enough. Hit that soap for a good minute until the froth is going berserk, and then hit the bowl. Also, I think the C-M soap is hard to lather. you might want to try something else. The Taylors creams you mention are great. I would get the Rose and forgo the Eton college.

If you continue to have issues, I would be happy to take some pictures to help you out.

proxy.php

I tried it out with the ceramic cereal bowls and I also heated up the water to near boiling with my tea kettle. It was much easier to whip up the lather, but the lather was very airy and light. I don't know if one can see it from the picture, but the lather is extremely light with lots of air bubbles in it. I did this before I saw the suggestion to use much more soap. I'll try to go much heavier on the soap tomorrow and see if I get better results.

Zach, it looks like too much water/air in there. It is going to "run out" on you (disappear on your face/evaporate). On a hard soap, I might swirl 30 times or more to get a good thick lather going. I am going to use some Harris soap tomorrow, and if i can remember, I'll count how many times I swirl for your information.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
roughrider said:
What happens to all the older women left over? :confused: :biggrin:

Same as the punchline of the old Abbott & Costello routine-

LC- I want a plain girl.
BA- Why don't you want a pretty girl?
LC- A pretty girl can run away.
BA- But a plain girl can run away, too.
LC- Who cares?

Vidi, vici, veni.
I saw, I conquered, I came.

Hey Zach. I got a pure badger set like that off ebay. Actually it looks EXACTLY the same except mine is pure stainless without the black accent, and has a small bowl. That prickly little 3 and 3/4 inch brush can whip up a great lather very quickly. Just give it a few good shakes to get the excess water out. For a hard soap I give mine two shakes and it works well. Also, you might have better luck, since it is a hard soap, to 'charge' the brush with soap and actually build your lather directly on your neck. It will just take a little practice. Since that brush is so small, less water is definately needed...or should I say, more water is not needed. I can build a lather with this brush off a soap faster than I can with my boar brushes now.

Here is an old SOTD pic showing how nice a lather I whipped up with my/your brush using some Indian Old Spice cream. Since this particular day I was using a cream, I shook out even more water than 2 shakes. It is better to add a few drops of water to the bowl when working with a cream than to end up having too much and making a runny mess, IMO. Also, since my bowl is stainless steel, I can run hot water over the bottom to re-heat my lather when it gets cold.
proxy.php

Here is a not so great pic of my set. Did you get yours from ebay seller, "shopoutletmall"? They had your black set too, but I opted for the one I have because it came with a bowl. I actually think the black looks better, shoulda gone with that one and saved 20 or so bucks. Not to mention, if you want a stainless bowl, a small dog food bowl would work fine and is cheaper. See the things I learn on shaving forums?!
proxy.php

I forget where I bought the set, but it wasn't eBay. I think it was via amazon.com I ended up picking up a hot pot and proraso soap and cream at Target and I've been having pretty good results. The lather is fairly thick but it seems far more greasy/shiny than I would have expected.

zacharydz said:
I forget where I bought the set, but it wasn't eBay. I think it was via amazon.com I ended up picking up a hot pot and proraso soap and cream at Target and I've been having pretty good results. The lather is fairly thick but it seems far more greasy/shiny than I would have expected.
Ah! Greasy/shiny is GOOD! That's the lubrication that provides for close shaves without irritation.

Even though acne might not be a problem, as a 21 year old, you make want to stick to soaps and creams for oilier faces. Or at least to a neutral compassion. As men age, their skin often becomes drier. At 36, my skin is much drier than it was in my 20's.

Ron,

Now why is it that I didn't think of warming my water in the microwave?:confused:

That's why it is good to have guys like u around-to pass on knowledge and the tricks of the trade. I think from now on , I will just call u Obi-ron.

Marty

htownmmm said:
Ron,

Now why is it that I didn't think of warming my water in the microwave?:confused:

That's why it is good to have guys like u around-to pass on knowledge and the tricks of the trade. I think from now on , I will just call u Obi-ron.

Marty
Marty,
May the power be with you! (At least 1250Watts!):thumbup1:

Top Bottom