What's new

Pumidor candidate

I'm no expert on the subject, but the little I know is as follows:

Puerh storage requires a moderate temperature, a fair amount of humidity and ventilation.

Temperature: 60 -75 F
Humidity: 50 - 80% (non condensing)
Ventilation enough to prevent mold from forming.

A humidor will provide humidity at the expense of ventilation.

Inspect the tea at regular intervals to ensure no mold has formed on it.
Have a schedule to air out the humidor and the tea.

I don't know how often to check the tea.
I don't know what "enough" is as far as ventilation concerned.

As someone once said, "That's all I know about that..."

That might work if you put some fans on that thing. Consider making something like an evaporative cooler but not too terrible cooling.

NOTE: I'm no pu storage expert. I have just read a bunch of the threads on tea chat and applied a touch of critical thinking.

WARNING: Taking my advice may kill your grandmother or inspire a parasitic infestation in your nose. Proceed with caution.

Pumidors are for the brave! I'm a yellow-bellied coward when it comes to performing experiments on my tea. :)

Don't commit anything to it that you wouldn't mind losing, I reckon, just in case. If it turns out to be awesome, you've won - if they don't, hopefully you'll have a backup elsewhere!

Let us know what happens - I'd really love to know how these things affect the tea. :)

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

That humidor is two feet high, including the pedestal base. With the other two dimensions being 10 1/2" x 14" I don't think that it would hold very many cakes for the price.

It would probably be better to just retrofit a larger cabinet with those humidifiers.

Well I am going to take the plunge. I spoke to the owner of the store, Kevin, and he thinks that I will be able to remove the partitions without much difficulty.

I will report on my efforts, pictures included. The nice thing is that Kevin has offered us a discount. If we put tea box in the discount code area...he will take 15% off the price. I negotiated that just for you guys :biggrin:

Top Bottom