What's new

Polish beer anyone?

I have a lot of Polish convenience stores in my area. They sell Polish beer, like Tyskie and Lech. Looks like pilsners in the Czech/German style so many of us love. Anyone that can share his experience?

I drank some while in POland over the summer and cant recommend it. Not polish vodka, that is something we can talk about!

I tried several when i was there last month. Mostly just too light for my taste, but still better than Bud!

Okocim was my favorite, I think. Tyskie and Zywiec are good if lagers/pilsners do it for you. Dog in the Fog wins for the best name!

The only one to avoid is a dark non-alcoholic beer and I forget it's name. I think it was a orange/yellow label and the only thing they served on the train. :blink:

Coincidentally, I've been "roadtesting" some Polish beers over the last few days.

They have become more widespread in the UK since the influx of Poles in recent years.

The best Polish beer that I tasted was about 15 years ago - Tatra Pils (Very much in the Budvar/Urquell spicy Czech style.

This week I have sampled Tyskie,Okocim and Zywiec ( which brews Tatra)

The first two, I found to be pretty bland with Okocim bein the worst offender.

Zywiec was ok but not as good as its stablemate

The best European "lager" for me is Jever

Zywiec is the only one I can comment on. I spent a little time when i was younger than legal drinking age in australia at the polish club with some polish friends. Zywiec was the only one I liked and I still find it a good light tasting summer beer, best servered cold and drunk till you wish for death.

Coincidentally, I've been "roadtesting" some Polish beers over the last few days.

This week I have sampled Tyskie,Okocim and Zywiec ( which brews Tatra)

The first two, I found to be pretty bland with Okocim bein the worst offender.

Zywiec was ok but not as good as its stablemate

Hmmm, my only hope is that I had Okocim from tap in a city square making it better.....I prefer to think it's not bad taste on my part! :001_unsur

I was looking forward to getting other beers when I got home, English and Irish being my favorites! :thumbup:

Zywiec is the only one I have had. Its a good lager and refreshing on a hot day. IMO, nothing to write home about though. Maybe that is because I prefer Pale Ales and amber beers more.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Had a bottle of the Lech (from Posen/Poznan) last night. Really quite nice, dry Pilsner, definitely a lot better than wretched Belgian stuff like Jupiler and Maes. Not in the Bittburger/Mittenwalder/Urquell league, but worth the purchase nevertheless. I feel this will become a regular.

MOST of the pale lagers are bland and interchangeable.

Get into the Polish (aka "Baltic") Porters, though, and you've got one HELL of a treat on your hands.

Zywiec and Okocim are the leaders, but look also for Utenos (Lithuanian), Sinebrychoff (Finnish), Carnegie (Swedish, discontinued but vintages available in some places), and even Baltika's version (Russian, don't remember the number .. all Baltika beers are #2, #4, #9, etc. Avoid Blatika #9 like the plague, though, unless you enjoy reverse boilermakers made from rubbing alcohol.)

Top Bottom